Vfl

IndianaVolunteer

As the anticipation for August 31st creeps up on us i thought it'd be cool to start a thread of your own personal fan-hood to the Volunteers and how you became a VFL. Maybe you were just raised into a family that bleeds orange and it's orange or nothing! Or maybe you just fell in love with that checkerboard endzones? Whatever the reason or story let's all come together to cherish our Vols and get ready for the season!!

Personally my own story is pretty unusual but everything happens for a reason. Growing up as a kid i didn't have a father and my mother got sick when i was very young and still to this day hasn't recovered. I would go to the local boys and girls club almost everyday after school open till close. In the year 2000, they held a march madness tournament as you handpicked your team from a basket of cut up paper slips. Luckily, :) i drew of course the Tennessee Volunteers. If any of you remember that year they made it to the sweet 16 and almost knocked off UNC to advance to the elite 8. Anyway, as a kid, 8 at the time, i won multiple prizes from my (team's) wins throughout the tournament and of course it involved candy, pop, and all of those obvious things kids love. Since those days i have always followed my Vols as the colors, checkerboards, and Power T caught my attention and never let go. Now at the age of 21, it is just completely laughable at how i became a fan but i can tell you my fan-hood for the Vols is unreal! I spend way to much time on this website! I must admit it has not been the smoothest ride for me, or any of us i'm sure because since then the football team has not had much to cheer about and i believe we could all agree on that. This is what makes us the best, most passionate, and loyal fan-base in the country and the years of suffering are almost over and with the suffering since 2000 it will only make the fUTure taste even sweeter. Anyway, enough about me,

Why is Tennessee your team?

GBO! V,B :rock:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
In the summer of 79 meet my wife to be. she was a student at ut. started going to games on the hill. could not believe what I had been missing.We married,had 2 sons.when the boys where 5 and 3 my wife was stricken with cancer. we lived in bellevue and one of players parents went to church with us. he didnt play much but was a beast on special teams.his last name was Jackobic. He brought my wife an autographed football from the team. some of the names where chuck webb,chuck smith,tom myslinski,johnny majors,dale carter,greg amsler and many more.kinda hard to make out some of the names.was my wifes greatest gift to her in hospital.needless to say the boys who are 27 and 25 now will be vfl. sadly the wife lost her battle with cancer but that football is in the trophy case as a reminder of how nice and supportive those players where.

Reactions: 9 people
I grew up in Roanoke, VA in the 70'/80's and all I heard was UVA and VA Tech. I was a huge UNC basketball fan for some reason but didn't really follow college football, as there were not many games on tv since there were only three stations.

I attended a community college for two yrs and decided to transfer to UT. I had only been outside of Roanoke a few times so Knoxville seemed to be a huge country far away, lol. I was by myself and didn't know anyone @ UT or the state of TN.

I planned on attending UT the fall of 1992 but woke up one June morning and enrolled in the second session of summer school. That was the summer Johnny had the heart attack and my first game @ Neyland was vs the Gators. The place was electric as the rain poured in the second half and the Vols destroyed Spurrier's Gators. My only regret was not attending UT my freshman and soph yrs.

I have been an avid Vol fanatic since that day!!

Reactions: 4 people
Grew up in W Tn. In high school went to Bluebonnet bowl and Liberty bowl to see the Vols & became a fan. Went to UT along w/ HS girlfriend [now wife] , both graduated, joined alumni, became season ticket holders back when seats were pretty hard to come by, and am a true Vol fan forever. Remember when there was a yearly waiting list for season tickets. GBO - Go Butch - bring the swagger back.....

Reactions: 1 person
grandparents were vols fans
parents are vols fans
rest of family are vols fans
born in Knoxville
went to games
went to UT as a student
played in the band in '98
student trainer for four years
graduated
the rest is history..

GO VOLS

Reactions: 2 people
There is no other team.

There is no other color.

My blood runneth Orange, my heart beats Orange, my Soul -- Orange.

I was born in 86' so i grew up watching the Vols in the 90's. My family was huge bama fans and i loved how it made them feel when we beat them. So i became a vol. Since then my mom brother and cousin have converted. Not as cool as some but its my story

Reactions: 2 people
I'm a VFL mostly because of my Dad.

Growing up, I was primarily an NFL guy. I didn't really follow college football all that much though my Dad never missed a Tennessee game when they were on TV and he always listened to John Ward on the radio. For me, it really never did stick until my first trip to Neyland Stadium! I'll never forget it! It was 1993 and we played Georgia. It was Coach Fulmer's first full season as the new head coach and optimism and excitement was so thick you could cut it with a knife! We got to the stadium early. I toured the field house, saw the trophy room, got to tour Thompson Bowling Arena, ate on the strip, etc. Then we all gathered for the Vol Walk. Never in my life have I seen so much orange in one place!! I got to see the Pride of the Southland Band play Rocky Top, got to see the players do the Vol Walk, then I got to enter Neyland Stadium! It was like a cathedral and it was LOUD!! We proceeded to kick Georgia's ass up and down the field that day and I was hooked! Ever since then I've been a VFL!

Born and bred in Knoxville.

Parents listening to Jon Ward on the radio in the early 80s before many games were on TV.

Alumni, class of 97 along with my wife.

It's a big part of my life that won't fade, win or lose.

In the summer of 79 meet my wife to be. she was a student at ut. started going to games on the hill. could not believe what I had been missing.We married,had 2 sons.when the boys where 5 and 3 my wife was stricken with cancer. we lived in bellevue and one of players parents went to church with us. he didnt play much but was a beast on special teams.his last name was Jackobic. He brought my wife an autographed football from the team. some of the names where chuck webb,chuck smith,tom myslinski,johnny majors,dale carter,greg amsler and many more.kinda hard to make out some of the names.was my wifes greatest gift to her in hospital.needless to say the boys who are 27 and 25 now will be vfl. sadly the wife lost her battle with cancer but that football is in the trophy case as a reminder of how nice and supportive those players where.

Sorry to hear that! What a kind gesture though. What a gift! :hi:

I'm a VFL mostly because of my Dad.

Growing up, I was primarily an NFL guy. I didn't really follow college football all that much though my Dad never missed a Tennessee game when they were on TV and he always listened to John Ward on the radio. For me, it really never did stick until my first trip to Neyland Stadium! I'll never forget it! It was 1993 and we played Georgia. It was Coach Fulmer's first full season as the new head coach and optimism and excitement was so thick you could cut it with a knife! We got to the stadium early. I toured the field house, saw the trophy room, got to tour Thompson Bowling Arena, ate on the strip, etc. Then we all gathered for the Vol Walk. Never in my life have I seen so much orange in one place!! I got to see the Pride of the Southland Band play Rocky Top, got to see the players do the Vol Walk, then I got to enter Neyland Stadium! It was like a cathedral and it was LOUD!! We proceeded to kick Georgia's ass up and down the field that day and I was hooked! Ever since then I've been a VFL!

Reading this just gave me the chills! I've only been to Neyland twice so i'm working on a few more trips.

I was born in 86' so i grew up watching the Vols in the 90's. My family was huge bama fans and i loved how it made them feel when we beat them. So i became a vol. Since then my mom brother and cousin have converted. Not as cool as some but its my story

Definitely cool. I live in Notre Dame country so i'm hoping we can schedule them here sometime so we can kick the sh*t out of them and i can rub it in my friends' faces! :)

I grew up in Roanoke, VA in the 70'/80's and all I heard was UVA and VA Tech. I was a huge UNC basketball fan for some reason but didn't really follow college football, as there were not many games on tv since there were only three stations.

I attended a community college for two yrs and decided to transfer to UT. I had only been outside of Roanoke a few times so Knoxville seemed to be a huge country far away, lol. I was by myself and didn't know anyone @ UT or the state of TN.

I planned on attending UT the fall of 1992 but woke up one June morning and enrolled in the second session of summer school. That was the summer Johnny had the heart attack and my first game @ Neyland was vs the Gators. The place was electric as the rain poured in the second half and the Vols destroyed Spurrier's Gators. My only regret was not attending UT my freshman and soph yrs.

I have been an avid Vol fanatic since that day!!

Sounds like you picked a perfect time to be a Vol! Thanks for sharing!

As the anticipation for August 31st creeps up on us i thought it'd be cool to start a thread of your own personal fan-hood to the Volunteers and how you became a VFL. Maybe you were just raised into a family that bleeds orange and it's orange or nothing! Or maybe you just fell in love with that checkerboard endzones? Whatever the reason or story let's all come together to cherish our Vols and get ready for the season!!

Personally my own story is pretty unusual but everything happens for a reason. Growing up as a kid i didn't have a father and my mother got sick when i was very young and still to this day hasn't recovered. I would go to the local boys and girls club almost everyday after school open till close. In the year 2000, they held a march madness tournament as you handpicked your team from a basket of cut up paper slips. Luckily, :) i drew of course the Tennessee Volunteers. If any of you remember that year they made it to the sweet 16 and almost knocked off UNC to advance to the elite 8. Anyway, as a kid, 8 at the time, i won multiple prizes from my (team's) wins throughout the tournament and of course it involved candy, pop, and all of those obvious things kids love. Since those days i have always followed my Vols as the colors, checkerboards, and Power T caught my attention and never let go. Now at the age of 21, it is just completely laughable at how i became a fan but i can tell you my fan-hood for the Vols is unreal! I spend way to much time on this website! I must admit it has not been the smoothest ride for me, or any of us i'm sure because since then the football team has not had much to cheer about and i believe we could all agree on that. This is what makes us the best, most passionate, and loyal fan-base in the country and the years of suffering are almost over and with the suffering since 2000 it will only make the fUTure taste even sweeter. Anyway, enough about me,

Why is Tennessee your team?

GBO! V,B :rock:

I am originally from Nashville. However; in 1977, when I was 14 years old, my family gave me the opportunity to attend a boarding school in the Knoxville area.

While there, I would listen to John Ward on the radio, announcing the games on Saturday. I recall hearing the names of Jimmy Streater, John Chavis, Alan Duncan, Steve Alatorre, Hubert Simpson, Danny Spradlin, Bill Bates, Roland James, etc.

My older brother was a law student at Vandy, during those same years. I recall him driving to Knoxville and taking me to the Vandy vs. U.T. game. We won 42 - 7. I had great seats too. I was on the 50 yard line about 10 rows up.

I have four older brothers and they are all "Bama" fans, and I always got sick of having "Bama" shoved down my throat every football season. So, I chose to be a Vol fan....

I either attend, watch on the t.v. or listen to every game on the radio. I was in Japan for the 1983, 1984, & 1985 seasons and watched the SugarBowl game there. I was also in Japan for the 1990 & 1991 seasons. I watched the game against Colorado on t.v. there. I also watched the Penn State game, in which we lost to them in the bowl game.

I was in Iraq during the 2004 & 2005 seasons. I woke up at 0400 to watch the LSU game.

These are memories that I will never forget.........

Long story short, family. Great Grandfather played at UT, so pretty much the whole family are huge fans. Surprising, since the family is so spread out now.

Raised in Tennessee, but as a young child I loved the NFL and mostly the Dallas Cowboys. Roger the dodger was my sports hero, well, along with Johnny Bench, Pete Rose and Joe Morgan. College football in those days seemed so boring to me since they didn't seem to pass much unless there was less than 5 minutes left and behind by 14+ points. Seemed to me that only Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, USC or Alabama was even on TV back then. Tennessee's small town AM radio changed that after I listened to John Ward on fall Saturdays. UT wasn't great then, but Ward made it so exciting to listen to Wide Receiver U fight up and down the field. It seemed we were always close to pulling them out even when were losing by lot.

Last edited:
My dad is a 1948 graduate of UT & we always listened to John Ward in the 60s & 70s when I was growing up. I got hooked & have been a die-hard fan ever since. I graduated from UT in 1981. There's nowhere I'd rather be than Neyland Stadium!

VN Store

Back