Vol Baseball Gets Visit from Alan Cockrell

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Seattle Mariners Batting Coach and University of Tennessee alum Alan Cockrell was on campus Thursday to pay a visit to the Volunteer baseball team. Cockrell had a chance to scope out the squad in advance of the 2010 campaign, and his outlook for the future of the Tennessee program is optimistic.

More...

Discuss. :)

Cockrell, from Joplin, Mo, will always be remembered as the QB on the 82 Vols' football team that broke bammers win streak over Tennessee. The tide had ripped off 11 in a row following the 1970 24-0 Vols win. Alan is the man.

Cockrell, from Joplin, Mo, will always be remembered as the QB on the 82 Vols' football team that broke bammers win streak over Tennessee. The tide had ripped off 11 in a row following the 1970 24-0 Vols win. Alan is the man.

O yes.... I remember, and will forever hold him in the greatest of esteem... if for no other reason :clapping:

He was also the QB in the 83 game,and it was his audible at the line,that allowed J Jones to make that run to win the game.

That win also broke the losing streak in Birmingham that dated to 1969.

He played everything with great passion and pride.He was a great leader.We need more like him.

He made a name for himself on the football field, but he was a badass baseball player.

He gave up his senior season of football to sign a contract with the Giants after they chose him in the first round. In retrospect, it may not have been the right decision, because he was certainly going to be an NFL draft pick if he'd chosen pro football.

As a pro baseball player, he was a "Quadruple-A" type of guy, only spent a month in the major leagues his whole career. I remember when he finally made it, in his mid-30s. There was an article about how he was the oldest player to be making his MLB debut in many years. He retired right after that and became a coach. I'm glad that's working out well for him, but I remember him best as our quarterback when the program finally started to turn around.

VN Store

Back