vol baseballers win opening game

sdowell

tennessee opened the 2011 season today with a 4-0 shutout over milwaukee. steven gruber 6 shutout innings led the way. norfork 3 rbi's in victory. good start to season.

I know it's only one game but if Gruver can pitch like this in most of his games the Vols will be a hard team to beat.

What's our chances this year? Sorry I don't follow it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

A few observations:

Gruver pitched pretty well....got out of a lot of jams throughout the game to pitch 6 scoreless frames

The next pitcher was especially impressive....Godley I think is his name....JUCO guy

Norfork had a huge 2 out 3 run double

Fielding looked really good, especially the infield

Baserunning wasn't good....got 2 guys thrown out at home....1 on a play where it wasn't even close....it seems that Raleigh's teams always struggle in with baserunning.....we've had too many people thrown out at home the past few years when it wasn't even close

Isn't Lawson's forte to be a good baserunning team? lol

Looking forward to getting to the diamond tomorrow.

What's our chances this year? Sorry I don't follow it.

Not too good according to the experts, but they could easily surprise us some. However we had a good recruiting class with some really good TN boys. Raliegh must show something this year IMO.

A few of things I noticed. Nick Williams has the makings of being a very good closing pitcher. When Norfork slid into home in the 8th or it might have been the 7th I have no idea how he was called out. The defense did look very good and Toles looked kind of out of it before the game started so I wonder if he had some kind of lingering injury he re-aggravated.

VN Store

Back