Vols Big Play Tracker 2024 (Updated)

mrmax86

Fight. Strain. Compete.
As many of you know, I am a big fan of making trackers. I had great expectations for our ability to connect on deep bombs last season, but we ended up falling short of my expectations.

This season, I am confident we will not be as dependent on bombs, but instead will be methodical and break off big chunk plays. For that reason, this year, I plan on tracking:
  1. Rushes of 15+ yards
  2. Passes of 20+ yards
  3. Kick Returns of 40+ yards
  4. Punt Returns of 20+ yards
  5. Sacks/TFLs of 5+ yards
  6. Defensive Turnovers (INT, Fumble Recoveries, 4th down stops)
  7. Special Teams Turnovers
Because of the size of this post, I have moved stats to subsequent posts. Please select the game below to be taken to the post where the data is being stored.

1725987465342.png
1725988401954.png
1726459262572.png
Rushes of 15+ yards
Dylan Sampson - 3
Desean Bishop - 3
Nico Iamaleava - 1

Passes of 20+ yards
Nico Iamaleava - 8

Receptions of 20+ yards
Bru McCoy III - 2
Dont'e Thornton Jr. - 2
Squirrel White - 2
Chris Brazzell II - 1
Dylan Sampson - 1

Kick Returns of 40+ yards
None Yet

Punt Returns of 20+ yards
Squirrel White - 2

Sacks (5+ yards)
Tyre West - 1
Omar Norman-Lott - 1
Jakobe Thomas - 1

Sacks (5+ yards)
Bryson Eason - 1
Joshua Josephs - 1

Fumbles Forced
Tyre West - 1
Dominic Bailey - 1

Fumbles Recovered
Joshua Josephs - 1
Dominic Bailey - 1
Jeremiah Telander - 1

Interceptions
Will Brooks - 1

Blocked Punts/Kicks
Jordan Ross - 1

Blocked Punt/Kick Recovery
Jordan Ross - 1

Turnover on Downs Tackles
Jermod McCoy - 1
Keenan Pili - 0.5
Tyre West - 0.5

Last edited:
First off, I like this. BUT can you put an aggregate total at the top to track to? Easy now, but by mid season it would be nice to just see the totals and not go through the table. Yess I know, I’m lazy

First off, I like this. BUT can you put an aggregate total at the top to track to? Easy now, but by mid season it would be nice to just see the totals and not go through the table. Yess I know, I’m lazy
Like this?
  1. Rushes of 15+ yards
    1. Dylan Sampson - 2
    2. Desean Bishop - 2
  2. Passes of 20+ yards
    1. Nico Iamaleava - 5
    1. None Yet
    1. Squirrel White - 1
  5. Defensive Turnovers
    1. Fumbles Forced
      1. Tyre West - 1
    2. Fumbles Recovered
      1. Joshua Josephs - 1
  6. Special Teams Turnovers
    1. Blocked Punts/Kicks
      1. Jordan Ross - 1
    2. Blocked Punt/Kick Recovery
      1. Jordan Ross - 1

Or like this?

Rushes of 15+ yards
Dylan Sampson - 2
Desean Bishop - 2

Passes of 20+ yards
Nico Iamaleava - 5

None Yet

Squirrel White - 1

Fumbles Forced
Tyre West - 1

Fumbles Recovered
Joshua Josephs - 1

Blocked Punts/Kicks
Jordan Ross - 1

Jordan Ross - 1

Or like this?

Rushes of 15+ yards
Dylan Sampson - 2
Desean Bishop - 2

Passes of 20+ yards
Nico Iamaleava - 5

None Yet

Squirrel White - 1

Fumbles Forced
Tyre West - 1

Fumbles Recovered
Joshua Josephs - 1

Blocked Punts/Kicks
Jordan Ross - 1

Jordan Ross - 1
Thanks for the votes. I added it using this template.

As many of you know, I am a big fan of making trackers. I had great expectations for our ability to connect on deep bombs last season, but we ended up falling short of my expectations.

This season, I am confident we will not be as dependent on bombs, but instead will be methodical and break off big chunks. For that reason, this year, I plan on tracking:
  1. Rushes of 15+ yards
  2. Passes of 20+ yards
  5. Sacks
  6. Defensive Turnovers
Click the Down/Dist to view the video of the play. Aggregate Stats at the bottom.

OppQTimeDown/DistYdPlayFromToYdsResult/Notes
UTC19:471st & 10Op 38TurnoverWestJosephs0Fumble Recovery
UTC19:001st & 10Op 21RushSampson171st & Goal
UTC17:574th & 4UT 21Punt ReturnWhite20
UTC17:441st & 10UT 41PassIamaleavaBrazzell23
UTC17:261st & 10Op 36PassIamaleavaThornton36Touchdown
UTC15:011st & 10UT 21PassIamaleavaThornton5951.2 Air Yards
UTC214:291st & 10Op 40PassIamaleavaMcCoy371st & Goal
UTC211:072nd & 8UT 35PassIamaleavaMcCoy24
UTC210:383rd & 3Op 34RushBishop241st & Goal
UTC26:591st & 10UT 39RushSampson561st & Goal
UTC22:531st & 10Op 43SackWest-5
UTC31:201st & 10Op 22RushBishop22Touchdown
UTC41:174th & 1Op 49TurnoverRossRoss38Blocked Punt
Fumble Recovery
Touchdown
Rushes of 15+ yards
Dylan Sampson - 2
Desean Bishop - 2

Passes of 20+ yards
Nico Iamaleava - 5

Receptions of 20+ yards
Chris Brazzell II - 1
Bru McCoy III - 2
Dont'e Thornton Jr. - 2

None Yet

Squirrel White - 1

Sacks
Tyre West - 1

Fumbles Forced
Tyre West - 1

Fumbles Recovered
Joshua Josephs - 1

Blocked Punts/Kicks
Jordan Ross - 1

Jordan Ross - 1
Yet another fine example of why the VN forum is so great, and incomparable.

First, mrmax86, thank you for taking the time to make your "hobby" something that we all benefit from. That's just about the definition of community! Can't wait to follow your figures week to week.

Let me use your thread (because of the kinds of minds it will attract) to throw out some ideas for people smarter than me to critique, update, or opine about.

1) Maybe 20 years ago, in the NFL, the "key" statistic which most often coincided with winning was Yards Per Passing Attempt. Is that still true, or are other stats now more predictive of winning?

2) In defensive series in which there was a tackle for loss, how many still yielded a first down or a touchdown on that series of downs?
In Heupel's/Banks' first seasons, we were outstanding in tackles for loss--but we were still susceptible to yielding first downs, even on third-and-longs. I don't know if TFL is a permanent part of the staff's philosophy, or was a necessary but temporary accommodation to our early lack of depth and skilled personnel. But I'm thinking there's something significant there to be tracked, as we compare previous seasons to current production.

3) Is overall turnover ratio (+/-) still considered a key, predictive statistic?
I heard someone say that last season our RBs did not have one fumble (or maybe they meant lost fumble). Is that true?
I wonder if our QBs suffer more fumbles than average, and if that's just a feature of this offense, or a reflection of offensive line performance + QB decision making?

Stats can reveal truths by examining isolated data, but it's always at the loss of the full, systemic picture. At the end of the day, sometimes the lesser team can win on intangibles like focus and desire. And that's really why we love sports. It gives hope to all of us who aren't the best or brightest or wealthiest, whose numbers will never add up, that we can still prevail and live meaningful lives worth passing on.

Should I include sacks?
I'm thinking that's worth exploring a little deeper. For starters, what is the significance of a sack in relation to the game's outcome?

A sack is always a tackle for loss, and (preemptively) an incomplete pass. But if, on the following play, the offense gets a first down or a touchdown, then the sack had zero significance, game-wise.

Sure, there is a psychological impact on the QB, his pass protection, and maybe the play caller. But unless that psychological impact results in reduced productivity, is it not meaningless?

A hurry is significant only if it results in an incomplete pass or an interception.

QB pressure is significant only if it results in an incomplete pass, interception, or a minimal gain. We all remember that season when our defense put great pressure on QBs... who then escaped the pocket and ran for a first down.

Another result from an effective pass rush can be off-sides penalties, usually by an offensive tackle. It's a loss of yardage, but not a loss of down. So again, it's only significant in the series of downs if it leads to a punt or turnover.

Thinking about how to show this, maybe it needs a scatter plot with event lines to track the response. But whatever, the X-axis would have to be calibrated to each play from scrimmage.

Following each event line---a sack (one color line), a hurry (different color line), or an offensive off-sides penalty (different color line)---is there a drop-off in pass attempts, and in the length of the passes completed (minus yardage after the catch)? I think that's the key factor that would reveal actual significance.

You'd also need to indicate punts on this graph, so lots of factors that are interrelated, but of differing values.

It's a fascinating problem for this old graphic designer who has a special appreciation for Edward Tufte. But chores are calling and I'm sure people with math skills have long ago solved these problems.
----
To anyone who read this far, I hope indulging this mental exercise was worth it. Critique is welcome. After all, that's what the 6 days between games are for... to keep thinking about the game!

Last edited:
First, mrmax86, thank you for taking the time to make your "hobby" something that we all benefit from. That's just about the definition of community! Can't wait to follow your figures week to week.

Let me use your thread (because of the kinds of minds it will attract) to throw out some ideas for people smarter than me to critique, update, or opine about.

1) Maybe 20 years ago, in the NFL, the "key" statistic which most often coincided with winning was Yards Per Passing Attempt. Is that still true, or are other stats now more predictive of winning?

2) In defensive series in which there was a tackle for loss, how many still yielded a first down or a touchdown on that series of downs?
In Heupel's/Banks' first seasons, we were outstanding in tackles for loss--but we were still susceptible to yielding first downs, even on third-and-longs. I don't know if TFL is a permanent part of the staff's philosophy, or was a necessary but temporary accommodation to our early lack of depth and skilled personnel. But I'm thinking there's something significant there to be tracked, as we compare previous seasons to current production.

3) Is overall turnover ratio (+/-) still considered a key, predictive statistic?
I heard someone say that last season our RBs did not have one fumble (or maybe they meant lost fumble). Is that true?
I wonder if our QBs suffer more fumbles than average, and if that's just a feature of this offense, or a reflection of offensive line performance + QB decision making?

Stats can reveal truths by examining isolated data, but it's always at the loss of the full, systemic picture. At the end of the day, sometimes the lesser team can win on intangibles like focus and desire. And that's really why we love sports. It gives hope to all of us who aren't the best or brightest or wealthiest, whose numbers will never add up, that we can still prevail and live meaningful lives worth passing on.

I'm thinking that's worth exploring a little deeper. For starters, what is the significance of a sack in relation to the game's outcome?

A sack is always a tackle for loss, and (preemptively) an incomplete pass. But if, on the following play, the offense gets a first down or a touchdown, then the sack had zero significance, game-wise.

Sure, there is a psychological impact on the QB, his pass protection, and maybe the play caller. But unless that psychological impact results in reduced productivity, is it not meaningless?

A hurry is significant only if it results in an incomplete pass or an interception.

QB pressure is significant only if it results in an incomplete pass, interception, or a minimal gain. We all remember that season when our defense put great pressure on QBs... who then escaped the pocket and ran for a first down.

Another result from an effective pass rush can be off-sides penalties, usually by an offensive tackle. It's a loss of yardage, but not a loss of down. So again, it's only significant in the series of downs if it leads to a punt or turnover.

Thinking about how to show this, maybe it needs a scatter plot with event lines to track the response. But whatever, the X-axis would have to be calibrated to each play from scrimmage.

Following each event line---a sack (one color line), a hurry (different color line), or an offensive off-sides penalty (different color line)---is there a drop-off in pass attempts, and in the length of the passes completed (minus yardage after the catch)? I think that's the key factor that would reveal actual significance.

You'd also need to indicate punts on this graph, so lots of factors that are interrelated, but of differing values.

It's a fascinating problem for this old graphic designer who has a special appreciation for Edward Tufte. But chores are calling and I'm sure people with math skills have long ago solved these problems.
----
To anyone who read this far, I hope indulging this mental exercise was worth it. Critique is welcome. After all, that's what the 6 days between games are for... to keep thinking about the game!
I don't know that I want to go that deep here, as any big play can end up being for naught if something else fails afterward. I mostly want this to be a central location to come back to for "Hey I want to see Dont'e Thornton's big receptions", or just if you think it's cool.

I did hear something on a VQ podcast, that on 10 scoring drives, 9 of them had chunk plays. So, they, as an independent measure at least, are somewhat of a leading indicator of success. Should be exciting to track throughout this season!

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Or like this?

Rushes of 15+ yards
Dylan Sampson - 2
Desean Bishop - 2

Passes of 20+ yards
Nico Iamaleava - 5

None Yet

Squirrel White - 1

Fumbles Forced
Tyre West - 1

Fumbles Recovered
Joshua Josephs - 1

Blocked Punts/Kicks
Jordan Ross - 1

Jordan Ross - 1
Definitely this one

Don't forget this one

Chattanooga linebacker Kobe Joseph intercepted a Gaston Moore pass at the Mocs’ 20-yard line and had nothing but green grass between him and the end zone. But reserve receiver Nathan Leacock tracked Joseph down, and along with Moore, tackled the linebacker at the 10-yard line.

“Nathan Leacock’s play — that is what you want to see as a head coach, as a receivers coach, shoot, as an AD, because that gives you a glimpse of what your football team looks like,” Tennessee receiver’s coach Kelsey Pope said. “I don’t think he had a catch at that point. As soon as the pick was thrown, he didn’t bat an eye, he turned and sprinted in the opposite direction to go stop a touchdown.

Don't forget this one

Chattanooga linebacker Kobe Joseph intercepted a Gaston Moore pass at the Mocs’ 20-yard line and had nothing but green grass between him and the end zone. But reserve receiver Nathan Leacock tracked Joseph down, and along with Moore, tackled the linebacker at the 10-yard line.

“Nathan Leacock’s play — that is what you want to see as a head coach, as a receivers coach, shoot, as an AD, because that gives you a glimpse of what your football team looks like,” Tennessee receiver’s coach Kelsey Pope said. “I don’t think he had a catch at that point. As soon as the pick was thrown, he didn’t bat an eye, he turned and sprinted in the opposite direction to go stop a touchdown.
That’s true, but I’m not sure how it qualifies since I’m not looking forward at drive results. The INT still was a big play for UTC. I completely agree that the effort our players displayed was “big”, but I’m trying to keep this objective rather than subjective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I suggest you track fourth down stops also. That is just as important as a turnover!

I would. I would also include tackles for loss as our defense has excelled at in the last couple of years.

I really like the link to the video. That’s awesome! Thanks!
What about sacks and/or TFLs of 5+ yards? I’m worried this could get “too big” if we do all sacks and/or all TFLs.

Edit: Meaning sacks of 1-4 yards wouldn’t be reported.

That’s true, but I’m not sure how it qualifies since I’m not looking forward at drive results. The INT still was a big play for UTC. I completely agree that the effort our players displayed was “big”, but I’m trying to keep this objective rather than subjective.
Subjective? A tackle that prevents a score? Not sure we have the same definition of what a big play is but it's your tracker, enjoy your project.

Subjective? A tackle that prevents a score? Not sure we have the same definition of what a big play is but it's your tracker, enjoy your project.
You’re welcome to create your own thread where you make the rules.

This season, I am confident we will not be as dependent on bombs, but instead will be methodical and break off big chunks. For that reason, this year, I plan on tracking:
  1. Rushes of 15+ yards
  2. Passes of 20+ yards
  5. Sacks
  6. Defensive Turnovers
Click the Down/Dist to view the video of the play. Aggregate Stats at the bottom.

OppQTimeDown/DistScrimPlayFromToYdsResult/Notes
UTC19:471st & 10Op38TOWestJosephs0Fumble
UTC19:001st & 10Op21RushSampson171st & Goal
UTC17:574th & 4UT21PuntWhite20
UTC17:441st & 10UT41PassIamaleavaBrazzell23
UTC17:261st & 10Op36PassIamaleavaThornton36Touchdown
UTC15:011st & 10UT21PassIamaleavaThornton5951.2 Air Yds
UTC214:291st & 10Op40PassIamaleavaMcCoy371st & Goal
UTC211:072nd & 8UT35PassIamaleavaMcCoy24
UTC210:383rd & 3Op34RushBishop241st & Goal
UTC26:591st & 10UT39RushSampson561st & Goal
UTC22:531st & 10Op43SackWest-5