Vols Get Commitment #1

Vol67

From the chattanooga times

The University of Tennessee football coaching staff will be recruiting players through the first week in February 2005, but they already have one prospect lined up for signing day 2006. Although he still has a year of high school football left to play for Baylor, junior Jacques McClendon said Wednesday he had committed to the Volunteers. McClendon said he chose UT over North Carolina, Alabama and Auburn. Each had written him letters with scholarship offers. The 6-foot-4, 320-pound lineman called UT assistant coach Steve Caldwell and gave him the news Tuesday night. “He said my decision was great news even though
they were still working on 2005,” McClendon said. McClendon was at Auburn as recently as the Tigers’ game with Georgia and
has also been to Alabama for unofficial visits. He went to camp at Georgia Tech. “My mom and I went over the options,” McClendon said. “I love Tennessee and always have. I think that’s the best place for me. I think my mom (Stephanie) is more excited than I am. It’s just the two of us, and she wanted me to stay close. We live in Cleveland and if something happened she’s only 45 minutes away.” McClendon said he had looked around enough. “Ever since I went to UT the first time I have loved it. I was a fan before I was a prospect,” he said. “Tennessee — there’s no better football. Every year they’re in a bowl
game. They’re always a Top 25 team. They’re so consistent.” McClendon, likely an offensive guard for the Vols, will make only one of five official visits high school seniors are allowed by NCAA rules, and it will be to UT. “I guess it would be great to get all the accolades that go with the visits, but I know where I want to go. I’m just that sure Tennessee is where I want
to be,” he said. The timing might have caught Baylor coach David Bibee by surprise, but not the choice. “I think playing football at Tennessee has been a goal of his since he was a child,” Bibee said. “He was always headed to Tennessee, but this way he avoids a lot of the confusion some seniors endure. He can relax and enjoy spring practice and the fall. The commitment is solid. We talked about that. He knows it means he won’t be taking any other visits. It means when we talk about commitment, he’s going to Tennessee.”
Made 2nd team AP All-State as on OL (6'4"/320) in 2004.

VN Store

Back