Wait... so they do put CEOs in jail?

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Seems like peanuts compared to other things I've seen. $9 billion going down a rat hole is really pretty mild.

Ex-CEO who oversaw doomed nuclear project to be sentenced (msn.com)

Former SCANA Corp. CEO Kevin Marsh has agreed with prosecutors that he should spend two years in prison. On Thursday, the former utility executive faces a federal judge who will decide whether to accept that deal and make him the first executive put behind bars for the nuclear energy project debacle.

Seems like peanuts compared to other things I've seen. $9 billion going down a rat hole is really pretty mild.

Ex-CEO who oversaw doomed nuclear project to be sentenced (msn.com)

It absolutely needs to happen. If CEOs are making millions because they supposedly walk on water, then they deserve to lose big time when they lie to cover up wet feet. The other real problem with executive compensation is when it comes from stock. That favors decisions made to boost short term profitability over long term growth and survival of the company - basically it's nothing more than real insider trading just spun a bit differently. From what I've seen of US corporations in the past few years, most of the executive corps are snake oil salesmen; they certainly aren't visionaries or stewards; they are raiders and plunderers ... until they've sucked the place dry.

The other real problem with executive compensation is when it comes from stock. That favors decisions made to boost short term profitability over long term growth and survival of the company - basically it's nothing more than real insider trading just spun a bit differently.
That actually is a unique angle to view their compensation... insider trading. CEO compensation and incentives should have been regulated long ago.

Reactions: Wireless1 and AM64
That actually is a unique angle to view their compensation... insider trading. CEO compensation and incentives should have been regulated long ago.

I used to think that a CEO "owning a piece of the company" probably made him or her a better steward, but then short term profitability reared it's ugly head. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it becomes so when it interferes with long term corporate well being to line a CEO's pocket.

For example, the just in time logistics concept was in many cases more a one time shot for the CEO implementing it (probably some very nice bonuses, too). After you deplete the parts inventory somebody else funded, you are back to needing x number of units to put out x number of cars or whatever ... but you have no stock as a hedge if something goes wrong. Yes, there are costs in maintaining an inventory of parts, but there's a cost in not having the parts or facing huge markups in shipping if things change.

Unfortunately too many shareholders have the same attitude. They are more interested in a quick buck on a stock rise than a strong dividend and solid value growth. Especially when the person doing the buying and selling are making money making turns rather than legitimate fund growth

Reactions: AM64
Unfortunately too many shareholders have the same attitude. They are more interested in a quick buck on a stock rise than a strong dividend and solid value growth. Especially when the person doing the buying and selling are making money making turns rather than legitimate fund growth

I've often thought we have two business worlds in the US (probably global). The part that actually builds and sells, and some warped parallel based on stock market fantasy. The problematic part is the tail (the market part) wagging the dog (the part that produces good and services). I've always wondered which part basically killed GE, but I lean toward bad decisions made to placate markets.

Reactions: Wireless1 and hog88
CEOs go to jail all the time when they should. Stop being stupid. And not at 100% success rate. But often when they break the law.

Oh, now this is more like it. don't go after the people up top, Lets go after the pilots and engineers.

Back to normal...

DoJ Indicts Former Boeing 737 MAX Chief Technical Pilot For Fraud | ZeroHedge

Mark Forkner, who was Boeing's 737 MAX chief technical pilot during the aircraft's development, served as the plane maker's lead contact with the FAA for how airline pilots should be trained to fly the new jet, is charged with scheming to defraud Boeing’s U.S. based airline customers to obtain tens of millions of dollars for Boeing.

Oh, I'm sure he acted on his own and was not directed to do this. No no no... no way possible that he had management on his azz.

The question from here is simple - will Forkner throw the Boeing C-Suite under the bus for acting on orders or was a 'lone wolf' trying to save Boeing millions of dollars for the good of his heart?
I sincerely hope that no senior execs were harmed bc we cannot have that. https://t.co/Jrj6GCg1cf
— Barbarian Capital (@BarbarianCap) October 14, 2021

VN Store

Back