Way back before the bowls.

Volnanza

I made note that whoever we played had better be ready for something they haven't seen. We spent most of the season just trying to find players to fill all the holes we had due to injuries. I figured that we would be fairly healthy with a month to get ready. That vaunted Iowa defense that was #1 against the rush was ripped for 232 yards. The defense was smothering. I'm happy I got to see a healthy Tennessee team this year. It showed that we have 1st string talent to beat almost anybody but we don't have the depth to survive a whole season. Looking at the players coming in I do see DEPTH. It's a solid class and should plug a lot of the holes we had this year. I will be pumped for next year for sure. Coach is getting us there. Steady as she goes.

I have more trust in the staff now than I did at the start of the season. They did a really good job with what they had over all.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
You do make a good point. We had significant injury issues that affected us all year. A mos off was good for our team.
That being said, Iowa's defense is not too 10, but good enough for the SEC IMO. While we were breaking in our FR QB, we still were only ahead 14-0 with 3:00 to go in the 3rd Q. Then James Pierce Jr happened for 14 more. So, if you back away and look at it, we put up 21 points on offense against a D that was on the field ALLLLLL day due to that horrible offense. Honestly, I give their D kudos. Not Georgia's D, maybe not Bama's D, But I'd put there D in the upper ½ of the SEC just by the eye test.

Reactions: DixieVol
I made note that whoever we played had better be ready for something they haven't seen. We spent most of the season just trying to find players to fill all the holes we had due to injuries. I figured that we would be fairly healthy with a month to get ready. That vaunted Iowa defense that was #1 against the rush was ripped for 232 yards. The defense was smothering. I'm happy I got to see a healthy Tennessee team this year. It showed that we have 1st string talent to beat almost anybody but we don't have the depth to survive a whole season. Looking at the players coming in I do see DEPTH. It's a solid class and should plug a lot of the holes we had this year. I will be pumped for next year for sure. Coach is getting us there. Steady as she goes.
Definetly agree we are on a nice steady rise. Takes awhile to get depth especially in the trenches.

You do make a good point. We had significant injury issues that affected us all year. A mos off was good for our team.
That being said, Iowa's defense is not too 10, but good enough for the SEC IMO. While we were breaking in our FR QB, we still were only ahead 14-0 with 3:00 to go in the 3rd Q. Then James Pierce Jr happened for 14 more. So, if you back away and look at it, we put up 21 points on offense against a D that was on the field ALLLLLL day due to that horrible offense. Honestly, I give their D kudos. Not Georgia's D, maybe not Bama's D, But I'd put there D in the upper ½ of the SEC just by the eye test.

Penn State beat them 31-0 and Michigan beat them 26-0. In their loss to the Wolverines, two Michigan touchdowns were set up by an 87-yard punt return to the Iowa 5-yard line and a fumble recovery at the Iowa 6-yard line. In short, a most comparable scenario to the way our game played out. Michigan gained only 66 yards rushing and 213 yards total offense vs. the Hawkeyes. PSU, on the other hand, managed to run for 215 yards, albeit on 57 carries. All things considered, we beat Iowa worse than either Michigan or Penn State, with a true freshman QB making his first start. See Michigan 26-0 Iowa (Dec 2, 2023) Box Score - ESPN and Penn State 31-0 Iowa (Sep 23, 2023) Box Score - ESPN. Iowa's defensive talent may not visually "wow" you, but they are very sound and definitely make you work for every point.

VN Store

Back