we need some more DB"S

champyvol

just saw morely got the boot, we need some other big time playmakers in the defensive backfield now. warrior is there anybody left.

i heard that the #1 juco safety was visiting ut this weekend. he is commited to louisville, but with petrino leavin we may have a chance.

i am not really concerned about our defensive backs right now, there is still a long time til sept. and i think we will be ready by then. i think by then we should be built up a little bit. we've got hefney, fellows, wardlow, berry, willingham, and a couple others. i would hold back for now and just wait to see what happens.

One good thing is there are quite a few athletes in this year's recruiting class that can play either WR or DB.

There is a good chance that we will push for a commitment from Nevin McKenzie over the weekend since he is visiting. He is one of the fast rising JUCOs and is 6'2 210 and runs a 4.4 40. Hopefully he can be a Reggie Nelson for us(JUCO transfer at safety). We also have DeAngelo Willingham committed and he is a JUCO corner. We have 2 other names at safety now if we really feel we need another safety-Michael McNeil and Stefoin Francois. McNeil will be a tough pull and Francois is likely a lock to LSU(though they may have bigger safeties on the board).

We already have quite a few DB commits:

Anthony Anderson
Deshaun Barnes(could be LB)
Eric Berry
Art Evans(already on campus)
C.J. Fleming
Josh Hawkins(LB, S, or RB)
Tyler Maples(WR or S)
Dennis Rogan(won't qualify, RB or CB)
Daryl Vereen(RB or CB)
DeAngelo Willingham

That is at least 5 DBs not counting anyone else that may commit. Tarence Farmer is another possibility at DB. He is lower rated and not likely a take, but noone knows. Brandon Paul and Darnius Moore are athletes visiting this weekend but both have said they are being recruited as WRs.

hv, What are the Vols going to do with Frazier?

The only thing I've found to read on him said that he was the quickest player in a Va combine. Could he be a safety?

I know you weren't asking me... but IMO, Frazier is too slow to be a safety. Scout.com has his 40 time listed as 4.7, and Rivals.com doesn't list it. I think he can be a decent LB by the time he's a junior.

Morley leaving is a gift. He was never going to get much better than he was because he did not have it upstairs. It also gives us a great selling point to Mckenzie, McNeil, and Francois. The buzz phrase for Francois is "LSU lock" but I'm telling you with his visit coming up and this new development he could come in a start right away. And, he says playing time is his biggest determinant. Mckenzie is very disenchanted with Louisville now because of Petrino leaving. He might commit on his visit.

I think Francois could be a steal because LSU might not have enough room. I'll look at their commit list real quick.

Okay....so far they have as possible DB/ATH commits:
Delvin Breaux 6-0 175 4.57
Ron Brooks 6-0 170 4.4
Phelon Jones 6-1 185 4.4
John Williams 5-11 175 4.4

They have 2 WR commits as well.

This is their remaining DB/ATH board:
Chad Jones 6-2 220 4.55
Stefoin Francois 6-0 188 4.5
Christian Scott 6-0 185 4.4

They are also looking at Terrance Tolliver and Dez Bryant at WR.

They are losing 6 DBs(Zenon, Joseph, Gordon, Landry, Daniels, and Francis). They lose 3 WRs(Davis, Clayton, and Bowe). I don't know if any are walkons though. They have 22 commitments so far so I'm not sure how highly Francois is on their board with Tolliver, Jones, McKnight, Bryant, and Blackwell still uncommitted.

Francois isn't in this weekend and Brent doesn't expect him to even visit. Only two weekends left for him to visit.

McNeil already visited. And, Mckenzie I believe is in Ktown right now. At least that was his plan after cancelling the Louisville visit.

He may have confirmed it, but planning a visit and showing up are 2 different things. Morgan Burnett.....hmmmm.

VN Store

Back