What happened to Lee North?

Saw on the Tony B website that he has passed? As my short time as an invited walk-on, I remember him vividly.
Thanks for posting. Sorry To hear that. I remember helping Majors recruit that outstanding athlete. He attended the same High School as my two oldest children. He was one of the best players in Georgia his Senior year.

Lee North at the time was part of the #1 recruiting class for Johnny Majors. The headline star was Lee Otis Burton. At the time it was thought that by the time these guys were seniors that we would at least be a leading contender for the national championship. But a black cloud followed this class. By the time he was a senior (5 year w/redshirt) North was the only member of the class still playing. I think he made all SEC as center, but bad knees spelled the end of his career. RIP Lee. I'm sorry to see you go so young. VFL.

Lee North at the time was part of the #1 recruiting class for Johnny Majors. The headline star was Lee Otis Burton. At the time it was thought that by the time these guys were seniors that we would at least be a leading contender for the national championship. But a black cloud followed this class. By the time he was a senior (5 year w/redshirt) North was the only member of the class still playing. I think he made all SEC as center, but bad knees spelled the end of his career. RIP Lee. I'm sorry to see you go so young. VFL.
What a shame he had the blood disease that ended his football career. As a defensive tackle, he ran a Notre Dame who had at least a ten yard lead on him. May have been the best athlete I have ever seen. After his illness, he would come to the Atlanta Big Orange Club meetings and talk tour about his football life. Great guy to be around.

Last edited:
James Berry and Terry Daniels were also in that class, James was a four year letterman and Terry made a successful switch to DB and had a decent stay in the NFL. Many in the class flamed out or had medical issues, a lot of the hype was that we signed all these star RBs. I think Mahan quit before the season started, and Glenn Ford ended up at CN.

Lee was an awesome player and even better person.

Lee North was a terrific player and team leader. Very sad news. Dennis Mahan was a "5-star" all-American type who bailed out at UT early in fall practice when he was hit a time or 2. He transferred to a black school in Virginia - Hanpton Institute I believe. James Berry was the real deal and this second Majors class (first complete class) were tough guys and Lee North was one of the best centers in UT history. Lee Otis Burton was an incredible athlete but had sickle cell anemia and gave up football. He would have been All-Pro in the NFL if healthy. Majors did not get many breaks in his first years trying to rebuild the Vols and indeed it seemed like some horrible bad luck was at work. Bill Battle left basically a bankrupt roster. Thanks for posting this sad news.

What a shame he had the blood disease that ended his football career. As a defensive tackle, he ran a Notre Dame who had at least a ten yard lead on him. May have been the best athlete I have ever seen. After his illness, he would come to the Atlanta Big Orange Club meetings and talk tour about his football life. Great guy to be around.
Lee Otis was in Cleveland, TN up until a few years ago (might still be) working for a VFL. Lee Otis was a super guy and one of the best athletes I was ever around. He married a good girl and seemed to be doing well the last time I saw him.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

VN Store

Back