What if the SEC were to go the way of MLB?

casual-observer

Pantone 151C
Oh yikes. Did you guys see what happened today with the all-start game and MLB? I don't fully understand the logic of pulling all the revenue and support for the local Atlanta communities. Seems like MLB just cut off their nose to spite their face. But it makes me think...

I wonder if the SEC might pull some stunt where they relocate the SEC championship from Mercedes Stadium in Atlanta?

Or remember that time the NCAA pulled 7 championships from North Carolina over the bathroom bill?

I used to enjoy the NBA... but don't watch now and don't really miss it. I used to enjoy the NFL some... but don't miss it either. I like baseball. I love the atmosphere of baseball parks. But if they don't want my money then they can be as stupid as they want to be. You would think they would take a clue from what happened with the NBA... I guess not.

And all this NOT because anyone is being inhibited from voting but because GA wanted to assure election fraud doesn't occur.

If anyone thinks it doesn't and hasn't... We moved from the ATL area about 20 years ago. Around the same time the Atlanta Journal-Constitution ran an article saying that 4000 dead people had voted in the city of ATL the previous election. These weren't people who voted absentee then died. They were people who supposedly showed up on election day and cast a vote.... confirmed dead.

There is no doubt that fraud occurred. The only question is how much. One fraudulent vote is too many because it disenfranchises a legitimate voter who did everything required to cast a legal vote.

Sports and politics should be entirely separate from one another. ESPN, by making itself a prominent "woke voice" in social issues, is leading the NCAA and other bodies (NBA, MLB, etc.) down the wrong road.
Social issues are merely a part of life. Life and the humanity of the athletes and the communities they come from shouldn't be marginalized. They aren't jesters, they are humans. The sport has given them a great pedestal and they are now using it for good.

Even MJ decries his shoes comment. No more "shut up and driibble".

And, no, the lives of humans is not/should not be a political issue.

Funny enough, here in NC that bathroom bill is still on the books. The NCAA apparently doesn't have a problem with it now.
No it isn't. In every pragmatic sense it is dead.

Fwiw NC residents and business owners did a great job of handling it their own way at the time.

Social issues are merely a part of life. Life and the humanity of the athletes and the communities they come from shouldn't be marginalized. They aren't jesters, they are humans. The sport has given them a great pedestal and they are now using it for good.

Even MJ decries his shoes comment. No more "shut up and driibble".

And, no, the lives of humans is not/should not be a political issue.
I see it differently.

I was a soldier my entire working life. I never once considered raising social issues, even those I felt strongly about, while wearing the uniform. I had a commitment to doing the job right. Then, at the end of the day, when I got home from work and took the uniform off, I was free to join causes and make statements.

Sure, sport is just entertainment. But those who engage in the work still see it as their calling. And I believe they should be just as committed to honoring their profession in its pure form. Kaepernick taking a knee while wearing his football uniform isn't right, in my view. If he wants to go out on Tuesday and march in a parade about a cause, more power to him. When he's on the job, he should be committed first to his profession.

And extend that same thought to MLB on the question of voting laws, or the NCAA on the issue of public bathroom codes of conduct. When on duty, focus on that. When off duty, join as many causes as you like.

See, there's a kind of dishonesty in supporting particular causes while wearing the uniform of your profession. It's like you're saying, "see, soldiers want this too," or "football players support this cause." Dragging your outfit into the debate when really you should only be speaking for yourself.

*shrug* that's just how I see things. You're welcome to see it differently.

Last edited:
Funny enough, here in NC that bathroom bill is still on the books. The NCAA apparently doesn't have a problem with it now.

Heard a comedian last night say he recently used a multi gender bathroom. He sat down in one of the stalls, and it got messy. Said the woman in the stall next to him entered the bathroom as liberal, left-leaning, and left wearing a MAGA hat! šŸ„

I see it differently.

I was a soldier my entire working life. I never once considered raising social issues, even those I felt strongly about, while wearing the uniform. I had a commitment to doing the job right. Then, at the end of the day, when I got home from work and took the uniform off, I was free to join causes and make statements.

Sure, sport is just entertainment. But those who engage in the work still see it as their calling. And I believe they should be just as committed to honoring their profession in its pure form. Kaepernick taking a knee while wearing his football uniform isn't right, in my view. If he wants to go out on Tuesday and march in a parade about a cause, more power to him. When he's on the job, he should be committed first to his profession.

And extend that same thought to MLB on the question of voting laws, or the NCAA on the issue of public bathroom codes of conduct. When on duty, focus on that. When off duty, join as many causes as you like.

See, there's a kind of dishonesty in supporting particular causes while wearing the uniform of your profession. It's like you're saying, "see, soldiers want this too," or "football players support this cause." Dragging your outfit into the debate when really you should only be speaking for yourself.

*shrug* that's just how I see things. You're welcome to see it differently.
Exactly how I feel too

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
The SEC doesnā€™t have an anti-trust exemption that the administration can threaten so no worries.

Reactions: volfanhill
Oh yikes. Did you guys see what happened today with the all-start game and MLB? I don't fully understand the logic of pulling all the revenue and support for the local Atlanta communities. Seems like MLB just cut off their nose to spite their face. But it makes me think...

I wonder if the SEC might pull some stunt where they relocate the SEC championship from Mercedes Stadium in Atlanta?

Or remember that time the NCAA pulled 7 championships from North Carolina over the bathroom bill?
And move it to where? Bombing-ham, Alabama?

Sports and politics should be entirely separate from one another. ESPN, by making itself a prominent "woke voice" in social issues, is leading the NCAA and other bodies (NBA, MLB, etc.) down the wrong road.
Can they cancel the NBA all star game retroactively?

VN Store

Back