What to Expect Saturday

Volador

Orange you glad to be a Vol??
Can someone list what our obvious offensive/defensive strengths and weaknesses are as we line up against the Duckies?

offense skill positions adv oregon
offensive line adv tennessee
defensive line adv tennessee
linebackers id say is a wash
secondary adv oregon

Worley to look for more guys in the flat and out of the backfield, when we pass. And other than that limit the turnovers, steady diet of Neal/Lane, and a LOT of QB contain on D. Gotta believe Thomas is gonna get his yards. Don't let Mariota beat you...

Oregon will probably put 8 guys in the box and make Worley beat them. That's what I would do if I were an opposing team.

Speed and depth are overwhelmingly in the favor of Oregon.

We're taking a new QB who isn't playing sharp at home to one of the loudest stadiums in the country.

We're taking a whole flock of young WRs with a shaky QB.

We're starting a TFr CB. No knocks on Sutton but this is a huge jump for his 3rd start.

We have little or no depth at LB. Oregon is not a good matchup for AJ's game. WKU exposed some problems that Oregon will outright exploit.

Outside of Moore, we have no depth at S. And, no knock to Moore but Oregon isn't a good match-up for him.

Oregon will probably put 8 guys in the box and make Worley beat them. That's what I would do if I were an opposing team.

I agree. I bet this is exactly what they do and to counter this, we may see our offense run tons of screen passes.

Tennessee's offensive line versus Oregon's lighter LB's--There is considerable beef upfront on the interior of the Ducks' D-line (with Havili-Heimuli, Kelilkipi, and and Hagen all weighing in at 295-315 lbs) however, UO's LB corps weigh in the 215-225 range. If the Vol O-line can get to the second level Neal and Lane may be able to gash Oregon.

Tennessee's Taller WR's versus Oregon's smaller DBs--Much has been made about UO's vaunted secondary however, if Worley can exploit their relative lack of height (5' 9'' to 6' 1" versus North (6' 4") and Croom (6' 5') UT may succeed in completing some deep jump balls and fade routes.

Oregon TE Colt Lyerla vs Tennessee back seven--He provides a serious mismatch for the Vol defense. He is big enough to shake db's and fast enough to elude TN's LBs on crossing routes.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree. I bet this is exactly what they do and to counter this, we may see our offense run tons of screen passes.

And utilize the TE more also hopefully. Downs was open a couple of time saturday but JW went further down field to North once, and I can't remember who the second.

But we need to live inside 10-15 yards on pass plays.IMO

Special teams - advantage oregon

Unfortunately if this game is close I see special teams being the deciding factor. Hope I'm wrong. GBO

Thanks everyone for the insightful feedback, especially vtvol98, DC Vol and Zreeves. And unless the D or O makes a ton of mistakes, after our first two games I would be surprised if CBJ allows our teams to be fatigued.

This will be a better match up than what some.think. Our O-Line will play a huge part in this one, as far as getting the push upfront for our running game and protection and time for Worley to make good decisions. If we can get our running game going early and some good passes by Worsley here and there, it'll be a good game to watch.

OLine - Vols
Everything else - Duc.....no, wait, wait, wait

Palardy - Boom

Then everything else, Ducks.

We just aren't there...yet...

One huge advantage is the leader of the offense:
- Theirs is a Heisman candidate that can outrun a quarter-horse.
- Ours is Worley.

Oregon has scored 21 points in the first 7 minutes of each game. I think the main thing is if they score and we don't score on the next possession is keeping our guys from hanging their heads.. which we really haven't seen this CBJ team hit real adversity.

Special teams? I would not kick DAT the ball.. PERIOD!

Minimize the BIG plays and Tennessee will hang around in the game.. if we slip-up it will get ugly.

They don't call that stadium the zoo for no reason.. I've heard it is extremely loud in there

Tennessee's offensive line versus Oregon's lighter LB's--There is considerable beef upfront on the interior of the Ducks' D-line (with Havili-Heimuli, Kelilkipi, and and Hagen all weighing in at 295-315 lbs) however, UO's LB corps weigh in the 215-225 range. If the Vol O-line can get to the second level Neal and Lane may be able to gash Oregon.

This is pretty accurate, but I'm not sure why you're referencing Hagen.

This is Oregon's best defensive line ever, as far as I'm concerned. Arik Armstead actually managed to surpass Heimuli in fall camp, and has been the starter through the first two games, with play backing up the coaches' decision. In a year where Heimuli looks a step quicker without having lost any significant bulk, that is a big story. Armstead has been destroying his opposition regularly but he's going to have a much tougher time on Saturday, clearly. Other names that should be discussed are Sr. Taylor Hart who has really emerged over the previous two seasons as a consistent force for us inside, and Armstead's classmate DeForest Buckner who is basically the same size as Armstead, but more of an edge rusher for us at this point. Those two sophs in particular are the kind of elite athletic specimens that Oregon hasn't had up front. Your vaunted OL will prove a very compelling measuring stick for how far they (and the rest of the unit) have come.

Hey Duck. For the record, what is your prediction for the final score?

VN Store

Back