When a player transfers and does have to sit out a year...

thunder5

Cause I like to party
Does he lose that year of eligibility. Lets say he plays his freshman year then transfers and has to sit out a year. Then the following year when he can play...is he a sophomore or a junior?

Actually, as long as they have not redshirted they do not lose a year because they use the year they sit out as a redshirt year.

I believe that they would be considered a junior unless they got some kind of redshirt. So if they redshirted before their freshman yr, played redshirt freshman year, transferred, they would be sitting out their soph yr and be eligible as a redshirt junior. However if they have not redshirted, then teams usually redshirt them during their transfer year.

You have five years to play four.

If there was no redshirt involved, said player would be considered a sophomore.

You have five years to play four.

If there was no redshirt involved, said player would be considered a sophomore.

That's what I thought.. you have four years of eligability.. doesn't matter if you're a year ahead in terms of school grade.

Even if thats not the case^, probably 90% of transfers are able to redshirt anyway.. but I think you don't lose any eligibility.

Thanks guys...I'm pretty sure I get the picture now. In Tyler Smith's case...he went to a prep school...so he was a true freshman at Iowa this year.

When he becomes eligible at UT he will most likely be a redshirt sophomore because he will redshirt the year he has to sit out if he doesn't get a hardship from the NCAA.

Lets just hope he gets that hardship. I know my motivations aren't exactly noble here...but that rule was set up for people who need to be closer to their family because of injury or illness. If his Dad having lung cancer doesn't qualify then I don't know what does.

Thanks guys...I'm pretty sure I get the picture now. In Tyler Smith's case...he went to a prep school...so he was a true freshman at Iowa this year.

When he becomes eligible at UT he will most likely be a redshirt sophomore because he will redshirt the year he has to sit out if he doesn't get a hardship from the NCAA.

Lets just hope he gets that hardship. I know my motivations aren't exactly noble here...but that rule was set up for people who need to be closer to their family because of injury or illness. If his Dad having lung cancer doesn't qualify then I don't know what does.

exactly :good!:

VN Store

Back