Which sport, under tourney format, more likely yields the best team as champion?

In which college team sport is the BEST team most likely to prevail in a tournament/playoff format?

• Baseball

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Football

Votes: 75 60.0%
  • Men's Basketball

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • Women's Basketball

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Softball (women's)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Women's Soccer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Men's Soccer

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BruisedOrange

Well... known member
I always wanted to post a poll because they're always popular and well-received.

The thinking behind the question is: in some sports, luck is a bigger factor than in others, so that upsets are more likely.

In some sports, different styles of play can make one matchup favorable and another very un-favorable, regardless of which team has the better athletes or regular season record.

Competition is always entertaining to watch, but which college team sport is most conducive to crowning the best team as champion using a tournament or playoff format?

Reactions: ArdentVol
Baseball. Having two preliminary events (Regional and Super Regional) with double elimination BEFORE the World Series at Omaha virtually assures you get the best teams together for a third straight double elimination tournament. This minimizes any poor officiating/umpiring that can turn a game on one play or possession. Also teams that have one bad game can still recover and it prevents those weaker teams that have one those magical games where the stars align and every thing goes their way from eliminating a better team.

Last edited:
Baseball. Having two preliminary events (Regional and Super Regional) with double elimination BFORE the World Series at Omaha virtually assures you get the best teams together for a third straight double elimination tournament. This minimizes any poor officiating/umpiring that can turn a game on one play or possession. Also teams that have one bad game can still recover and it prevents those weaker teams that have one those magical games where the stars align and every thing goes their way from eliminating a better team.
Hate to break it to you but playing more games does not ensure anything for umpiring. They all suck, day in and day out. The double elimination aspect is nice but if they really wanted to make it perfect they would trim the field to 32 to ensure only the best teams get in and play a best of 3 series every weekend. Regionals are a round robin and CWS isn’t a true series until the championship.

Reactions: txbo
My order: Football, Women's Basketball, Men's Basketball, Softball, Baseball, Women's Soccer, Men's Soccer

I’m actually shocked baseball has that many votes. The best team very rarely wins the whole thing and a lot of times doesn’t even end up in Omaha. The best team in football wins the majority of the time. It’s really not even debatable.
Similarly, I'm shocked so many folks picked football. For decades only two teams got picked to play for the mythical national championship. The picks have always been highly subjective and rarely based on difficulty of schedule. My bet is that many of our past national champions would not have won the title had they played in a playoff structure similar to FCS. Fortunately, beginning next year, the 12 team CFP will vastly improve the process and most likely give us a worthy national champion, something that baseball has been doing for years.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back