Who would win if....

UT vs. UGA rematch..who would win in this scenario?

• Total voters

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I heard this on talk radio today and thought is would be interesting to see what everyone here thought.

I know it's hypothetical, but I don't see how you even begin to answer that. Could Richt run his fast break offense with Tennessee's inexperienced receiving corps or would Clausen flourish in the shotgun? Could Phil run the ball with GA's running backs and O-line or would he open it up more if he had GA's receivers? Who knows?

What I found so interesting was that many seemed to think that Georgia's staff is much better than UT's. Therefore they thought Tennessee could beat Georgia with their staff coaching our players. I realize that no one knows the answer, and really it's nothing more than a question comparing talent level and coaching staffs. Can you tell that I am bored tonight? :blink:

Maybe it would be better to ask:

1. Which team has more talent?
2. Which coaching staff is better?

I don't think UGA is more talented than UT. Especially considering that they have had a lot of injuries this year and are relatively young at spots. I think the Gators and the Dawgs will be very hard to beat the next couple of years. You have to assume that we would be #3 in the east next year with a new starter at QB. Although are we loaded at WR or what?

Robert Meachem
Jason Swain
Bret Smith
James Banks
CJ Fayton
Chris Hannon
Derrick Tinsley
Tony Brown
Jonathon Wade
Bill Grimes
Jomo Fagan

Did I miss anyone?

It really does not matter, Tennessee got spanked by Georgia. :spank:

I just want to see Tennessee finish strong

Let's hope we finish strong considering we play KY and Vandy!

I was thinking today that whoever makes our schedule is pretty smart. No matter how bad we play at the beginning of the year or how many games we lose, there is always November to pile up a few wins and give us a positive ending. (Unless of course we get blown out by Maryland in the Peach Bowl.)

Wow thats a tough one. Could you imagine Phil with our stable of running backs or Richt with your talent (not that ours is less but you have more at the skill positions). What a great "what if " question. :question:

Not even close. Fulmer is a great coach, but last season left me thoroughly unimpressed with the rest of the staff. Richt has his guys doing an awesome job, and UT brings in marginally better talent than Georgia.

Tennessee w/ Georgia's coaches beats Georgia w/ Tennessee's coaches any day of the week.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jun 16, 2005 3:01 PM
Not even close.
[snapback]104585[/snapback]​

Not even close??? :blink:

If UGAs coaches are so much smarter, how then do you explain us being able to go to Athens last year with freshman QBs and a patchwork secondary and getting out with a win? It sure wasn't because we had more talent.

I sorta think we tend to lack a bit from the coaching standpoint in the really BIG games lately. Maybe I'm suffering a bit of a memory loss here but how have we done in games with major ramifications lately?

HELP! HELP! HELP! :ph34r:

Originally posted by GAVol@Jun 17, 2005 8:51 PM
Not even close???  :blink:

If UGAs coaches are so much smarter, how then do you explain us being able to go to Athens last year with freshman QBs and a patchwork secondary and getting out with a win?  It sure wasn't because we had more talent.
[snapback]105082[/snapback]​

We did have two freshman QB's, true. However, their styles were polar opposite which basically left teams completely unable to handle dealing with them. Our defense played a pretty magnificent game, as well. That game was, I believe, a combination of Richt and Co. deciding to be more prepared for LSU than us, and us playing by far our best game of the whole season.

It comes down to the same old argument. For some, no matter what happens, when Tennessee wins, it's because of superior talent. When Tennessee loses it's because their coaches are idiots.

I think in most cases, coaches aren't as smart or as dumb as most fans think.

Well, I think that Fulmer is a fantastic coach. And I think that Randy Sanders does a terrific job training our QB's. We do have some glaring flaws in fundamentals, though, wheras Georgia's players, while not perfect, look to me as if they play more fundamentally sound football.

I will probably stick up for Mark Richt more then anyone else on this board

BUT

This is the year his offense will need to step up. If he really is as great of an offensive mind as I think....UGA's O will do well.

I still give him credit as a HC for finding Brian Van Gorder and Martinez though

VN Store

Back