Why the 2013 Vols are hard to predict

NEO

Eat at Joe's
Let's start with Run Offense:

There were many times last year that we were running the ball extremely well and our OC would just stop and suddenly start calling deep bombs. Florida is a very good example. We were running all over them and WM was so scared he went on 4th down middle of the field. It failed and we suddenly went pass happy and the game changed.

My point? We bring back the entire O-line and both RBS. All are stronger, wiser, and better coached. Who is to say we don't become a run first team and wear people down, using the Passing game to loosen up the run. if we do this well, we will look like a completely different team and win more than 6.

Now for the passing Offense:

John Gruden (soon Vol fans soon) ripped Bray apart during his interview. Showed the world how Bray played...deep ball and never even try for the check off guy. While neither of our QBs CURRENTLY have the talent he did I do believe they will listen to their coach better, and use the check off guy a lot more. We may not see 40 yard bombs but 10 yards gets you a first down. Butch has already made it clear the Slot Receiver will play a big part in his attack and this may lead to a dink and dunk passing game mixed in with a pound the rock running game.

My point? Less three and outs or 3 second scoring plays and a lot more short throws for short yardage will give a thin defense more rest to keep us in games.

Now for the Defense:

People need to understand we weren't that bad on Defense in 2011 when we were a 4-3. We weren't great but we weren't horrible. The switch back to a 4-3 alone gives us alteast 1 more win. Plus the players are older and wiser, and stronger.

My point? This years defense wont even resemble last years. let it go. Put it out of mind. It was all a bad dream.

Lastly is coaching:

We have one. A great one. End of story.

With that said, I have no prediction about what our over all record will end up being but I do predict at the end of the season we fans will have a lot of positives to talk about.

Reactions: 11 people
We have the coach, but we don't have the players for the coach. Until we drain Dooley's coaching philosophy from this team, Jones won't be to completely implement his new "change of pace" offense that he wants. 2014-2015 is going to be his real first season, this season just needs to be competitive enough to keep all the recruits we've gained to not decommit and I'll be happy.

Great thread and good points. Regarding the running game last year, you guys remember that stretch when we continued to successfully run the ball down Mississippi States throat? Very much unstoppable.

I'll take the dink and dunk if it will move the chains and get first downs. When Cut was here, we had a dink and dunk and it worked pretty well. It may not be flashy, but it gets the job done.

Croom has all the talent in the world, we have some decent tight ends. The offense may very well surprise people. The front 7 will be physical

Justin Woorley is the key. If he is an average SEC level QB, TN should have a shot at a decent season. If we are struggling at QB ala 2008, 2010 then there isn't much CBJ can do to win those 4 or 5 games on this year's schedule where TN will be heavy underdogs.

They're hard to predict because we do not know how Jones' success translates to the SEC. There is talent to work with. Certainly there are holes... but also very good talent along the lines. If he's as good as we all hope then I think he wins at least 7. I don't want to be negative but 9 is probably a stretch with 8 being possible.

I honestly don't think schemes will be the problem that most people do. Many of the key players will be upperclassmen who played in Chaney's system. His system is not incredibly different from Jones' system. The techniques and skills will translate directly. On D, I will be surprised if any single player does not play better in the new scheme than Sal's monstrosity. I think they are about a mid-pack D in the 4-3. That's where Wilcox had basically the same guys when they were Fr and Sophs.

I truly believe the difference between a 7+ win team and a 6- team is the coaching ability of Jones and his staff.

We have the coach, but we don't have the players for the coach. Until we drain Dooley's coaching philosophy from this team, Jones won't be to completely implement his new "change of pace" offense that he wants. 2014-2015 is going to be his real first season, this season just needs to be competitive enough to keep all the recruits we've gained to not decommit and I'll be happy.

There is nothing wrong with good players with good attitudes regardless of who their coach used to be. However, this is a Sr laden team. AJ at a minimum and maybe Maggitt will leave as well. You'll get your wish with a purge of many Dooley players after this fall... but if Jones can't win with this roster... I can all but assure you that you won't like what he does with the '14 roster. It is likely to be a tougher year than 13 based on the roster alone.

Now for the positive... I think what Jones does WILL translate well to the SEC. He is smart and enthusiastic. He's not only a great motivator and teacher, he appears to be a first class X's and O's coach as well.

One of the reasons I have a great deal of hope in him right now IS his recruiting success. These kids are committing to ENTHUSIASM and ENERGY. Jones is high octane and convinces everyone who comes in contact with him that UT is rising... and that right soon.

That translates DIRECTLY to the attitude of a football team. Fulmer, Kiffin, nor especially Dooley had that like Jones does. By the end, Dooley was an emotional drag on his team.

Great leaders make others better just by their presence and attitude. By everything I have read... Jones appears to be a terrific leader of people.

Reactions: 1 person
good job OP. one thing about last years running ability is that defenses had Hunter, Zro, Rivera, and Patterson to contend with. that will keep a secondary honest. this year we are hoping for the opposite. really hoping.

Now for the positive... I think what Jones does WILL translate well to the SEC. He is smart and enthusiastic. He's not only a great motivator and teacher, he appears to be a first class X's and O's coach as well.

One of the reasons I have a great deal of hope in him right now IS his recruiting success. These kids are committing to ENTHUSIASM and ENERGY. Jones is high octane and convinces everyone who comes in contact with him that UT is rising... and that right soon.

That translates DIRECTLY to the attitude of a football team. Fulmer, Kiffin, nor especially Dooley had that like Jones does. By the end, Dooley was an emotional drag on his team.

Great leaders make others better just by their presence and attitude. By everything I have read... Jones appears to be a terrific leader of people.

Kiffin gave the team a swagger they hadn't had with Fulmer.....and then he cut us down for years

Rivera was a mediocre blocker. ZR was a good blocker. Hunter had no intentions of blocking. CP was lost trying to block and almost always quit early on his blocks.

Of the few things I am willing to predict... I will say with total confidence that this staff will DEMAND great blocking from the WR's on run plays. People criticize Neal for trying to take runs outside... if he'd gotten good perimeter blocking his 4.4 speed would have made those work. I will be very surprised if people aren't saying "Wow, where was that last year" about his ability to get to the corner.

Kiffin gave the team a swagger they hadn't had with Fulmer.....and then he cut us down for years

I think that is true to a degree. But his swagger was always about HIM. I sense that Jones' swagger is about the "us" on his team and staff. Some guys' confidence pushes other people... Guys like Jones seem to infuse others with their confidence. The difference is huge.

Reactions: 2 people
There is nothing wrong with good players with good attitudes regardless of who their coach used to be. However, this is a Sr laden team. AJ at a minimum and maybe Maggitt will leave as well. You'll get your wish with a purge of many Dooley players after this fall... but if Jones can't win with this roster... I can all but assure you that you won't like what he does with the '14 roster. It is likely to be a tougher year than 13 based on the roster alone.

That is almost what Charles Davis said on 610AM Charlotte this afternoon. He believes that 2013 being a upperclassman team will probably be a better team than 2014 with so many freshmen in 2014. Me, I hope he is right about 2013 and hope he is under estimating the superb recruiting of the 2014's.

Butch will get it done.

That said, this year could see some bad times if our hurry up offense only succeeds in hurrying our defense back onto the field because they can't move the ball.

I think that is true to a degree. But his swagger was always about HIM. I sense that Jones' swagger is about the "us" on his team and staff. Some guys' confidence pushes other people... Guys like Jones seem to infuse others with their confidence. The difference is huge.

Jones is a leader...no doubt

Very well said

We have the players, especially on D. Just had godawful coaching last year. There is some talent on the roster, they just need the right coaching.

very good point

Let's start with Run Offense:

There were many times last year that we were running the ball extremely well and our OC would just stop and suddenly start calling deep bombs. Florida is a very good example. We were running all over them and WM was so scared he went on 4th down middle of the field. It failed and we suddenly went pass happy and the game changed.

My point? We bring back the entire O-line and both RBS. All are stronger, wiser, and better coached. Who is to say we don't become a run first team and wear people down, using the Passing game to loosen up the run. if we do this well, we will look like a completely different team and win more than 6.

Now for the passing Offense:

John Gruden (soon Vol fans soon) ripped Bray apart during his interview. Showed the world how Bray played...deep ball and never even try for the check off guy. While neither of our QBs CURRENTLY have the talent he did I do believe they will listen to their coach better, and use the check off guy a lot more. We may not see 40 yard bombs but 10 yards gets you a first down. Butch has already made it clear the Slot Receiver will play a big part in his attack and this may lead to a dink and dunk passing game mixed in with a pound the rock running game.

My point? Less three and outs or 3 second scoring plays and a lot more short throws for short yardage will give a thin defense more rest to keep us in games.

Now for the Defense:

People need to understand we weren't that bad on Defense in 2011 when we were a 4-3. We weren't great but we weren't horrible. The switch back to a 4-3 alone gives us alteast 1 more win. Plus the players are older and wiser, and stronger.

My point? This years defense wont even resemble last years. let it go. Put it out of mind. It was all a bad dream.

Lastly is coaching:

We have one. A great one. End of story.

With that said, I have no prediction about what our over all record will end up being but I do predict at the end of the season we fans will have a lot of positives to talk about.

Wasn't that Check off guy on Star Trek? I didn't know he played football. And he's a Vol? Well, here's hoping we go where no first year coach has gone before. BCS NC!! :yahoo:

I disagree with the needing wait until DD's philosophy is drained statement. The team was frustrated. They knew they were better than what W-L columns said. That's why they told CBJ & co. "Just teach us what to do." They were always ready to win, they just didn't have the coaching to make it happen. Now, they believe they do. We're in for a season of strange things and fearful wonders.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back