Why the limited recruiting???

ballsmack

17 out of 30 players are from Tennessee?? This is ridiculous! There are some really good players up in Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio. Don't get me wrong, TN players are great and have a lot of talent but geezzz....there are other territories to scout and Indiana has some excellent pitchers and a host of other talent along with OH, MI, etc.

They need to cast a wider net or competing with the SEC is going to be a lose-lose campaign. IMO.

Vanderbilt did pretty well last year (until the #1 pick in the draft, from Tennessee, choked...). Tennessee isn't a baseball poor area.

With only 11.7 scholarships, instate recruiting is very important. Many instate guys don't get much scholarship money at all, if any, understandably with tuition being cheaper for them. Its hard to assemble a team of mostly out-of-staters and provide them much financial help.

And Tennessee high school baseball is better than OH, KY, and IN.

Raleigh said he wanted to make it a priority to recruit the state when he first started.

17 out of 30 players are from Tennessee?? This is ridiculous! There are some really good players up in Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio. Don't get me wrong, TN players are great and have a lot of talent but geezzz....there are other territories to scout and Indiana has some excellent pitchers and a host of other talent along with OH, MI, etc.

They need to cast a wider net or competing with the SEC is going to be a lose-lose campaign. IMO.

An out of state player must be head and shoulders better than an in state player to make it worth giving him twice as much scholorship money,to pay out of state tuition, to play for UT.
Pitchers are about the only players that come close to getting full rides from the limited baseball money available.

With only 11.7 scholarships, instate recruiting is very important. Many instate guys don't get much scholarship money at all, if any, understandably with tuition being cheaper for them. Its hard to assemble a team of mostly out-of-staters and provide them much financial help.

by far.......in the past two years we have had numerous first round picks. im guessing you are frim IN, Ky or somewhere up there cause thats why you are biased

An out of state player must be head and shoulders better than an in state player to make it worth giving him twice as much scholorship money,to pay out of state tuition, to play for UT.
Pitchers are about the only players that come close to getting full rides from the limited baseball money available.

Yea, it's a shame that there are only 11.7. That's almost ridiculous based on the number of players that a team has to have to field the Varsity and JV. I assume the Vols have a JV type team too?? Most college teams have between 19 and 29 players. D1 is always on the upward scale. So, to have that many players and only have the 11.7 rule is bogus. I realize that the 11.7 can be broken up any number of ways to allow for partials but it's still a farce in D1!

TN is better than IN, OH, & KY but that has to do with the longer season in TN. The talent still exists within the other states but you have to have good scouts in those states to bring out the flesh so to say. I don't think Tennessee's scouting is very good at all in the Midwest (which is where you find position players). I agree with the in-state vs. out-of-state argument...I think that is correct.....I also think that Tennessee could have gotten Alex Meyer (6'7" flame-thrower) from Indiana but Kentucky beat them to the punch. He may be the best player available (pitcher) that's not going to be drafted by the "bigs" very high and might choose to go to college instead of waste away in the "smalls".

tennessee is a known hotbed for baseball. Not just better than Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky but it's way up on the list. I thought that was general knowledge

The NCAA 11.7 scholarship rule does stink, Baseball gets the crap end of the stick when it comes to competitive athletics. Now as it stands the first 7 are divided, I believe the minimum is 25% then the other 4.7 are left at the coaches discretion he can divide those anyway he likes.. this is usually over a team roster of 35, next year it gets worse.

tennessee is a known hotbed for baseball. Not just better than Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky but it's way up on the list. I thought that was general knowledge

General knowledge? No, Tennessee is not even in the top ten. (xxx)=drafted to the big leagues from college. xxx= in top 1000 coming out of high school who are playing college ball.

1. California (227) 231
2. Florida (98) 102
3. Texas (62) 98
4. Georgia (26) 44
5. Illinois (54) 36
6. Washington (23) 31
7. Arizona (18) 25
8. Ohio (29) 23
9. New York (38) 21
10. Virginia (17) 21

VN Store

Back