Will ESPN Gameday Be In Norman For Week 4?

The only other decent matchup is #11 USC at #17 Michigan, and they were just there to watch Texas blow them out. It seems like a no-brainer to me. A great matchup with a great storyline. What more could they ask for?
I think the story of Huepel going back to Oklahoma will be what gets Gameday there

These first few weeks have had a couple of decent games, but with the conference realignments that have taken place, there is a ton of big-time matchups coming our way. October is going to be insane!

uhyeah.gif
Tennessee vs Oklahoma and the return of Josh Heupel are both big draws, but I think the real draw will be the growing buzz around Iamaleava. This game represents ESPN's first real chance to strap a rocket on the Nico marketing campaign. ESPN isn't going to pass that up. No way, no how. They comin'.

Which, don't get me wrong. I hope viewers come for the Nico, but stay for the Dylan Sampson Express and that killer Tennessee Defensive Experience. I'm just saying that the network will want to start gassing up their Nico commentary.

Last edited:
There are no other good games that day - I do think OU will lose to Tulane this week, so some of the “sizzle” may be gone, but there really isn’t a better option- unless they decide to do something cool and go to a small school that normally never sees them….

Well ESPN/ABC own the SEC contract so...yeah. There just seems like too many good storylines for them to miss this. Assuming OU does not lose to Tulane.

100%. While I think ESPN would be foolish to ignore a Big Ten game if it's objectively the best matchup of the week, Big Noon has always been tribal/territorial so it's time that ESPN does the same with its SEC and ACC inventory.

View attachment 676204
Tennessee vs Oklahoma and the return of Josh Heupel are both big draws, but I think the real draw will be the growing buzz around Iamaleava. This game represents ESPN's first real chance to strap a rocket on the Nico marketing campaign. ESPN isn't going to pass that up. No way, no how. They comin'.

Which, don't get me wrong. I hope viewers come for the Nico, but stay for the Dylan Sampson Express and that killer Tennessee Defensive Experience. I'm just saying that the network will want to start gassing up their Nico commentary.
If ESPN straps a rocket to any active Vols player it will be the first time. They had the opportunity with Manning and decided Woodson needed that “rocket”

Reactions: vol94fan
If ESPN straps a rocket to any active Vols player it will be the first time. They had the opportunity with Manning and decided Woodson needed that “rocket”

They didn't own the SEC back then. They do now. It's their product. Just like Woodson and Ohio State/Michigan was in 1997.
Little remembered in all the fuss is this bit of trivia - ESPN signed a ten year exclusivity deal with the Big 10 the summer before the 1997 season, meaning it was in their best interest to build stories for their product. What better story could there have been then plucky two-way player Charles Woodson (who played for a conference ESPN had exclusive rights to) overtaking the golden child of the SEC in the Heisman campaign?

Point being, you're right about the fact it would be the first time, but now that ESPN owns the SEC, I think they'll be more interested in pushing Tennessee's guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don't think it's "begging" to point out the reasons why they would want to run Gameday in Norman next week.
This is true, although why would the ESPN hates us crowd care if GameDay went to Oklahoma. They don't watch College GameDay that's what I read continuously on here.

I think the story of Huepel going back to Oklahoma will be what gets Gameday there
Will be interesting to see how that’s handled

Way #1: Fun trip back “home” for man who played at high level and coached there. Lots of friends there. Trying to downplay that storyline and just make it about game and current players.

Way #2: Heupel coming back to place where he was once a hero but later fired. That was a bad divorce and Heupel has hated the OU Administration ever since. He would love nothing more than to crush the Sooners as revenge.

They didn't own the SEC back then. They do now. It's their product. Just like Woodson and Ohio State/Michigan was in 1997.
Little remembered in all the fuss is this bit of trivia - ESPN signed a ten year exclusivity deal with the Big 10 the summer before the 1997 season, meaning it was in their best interests to build stories for their product. What better story could there have been then plucky two-way player Charles Woodson (who played for a conference ESPN had exclusive rights too) overtaking the golden child of the SEC in the Heisman campaign?

Point being, you're right about the fact it would be the first time, but now that ESPN owns the SEC, I think they'll be more interested in pushing Tennessee's guy.
Always remember the trailer park frenzy in Tennessee tonight comment by fowler

I think the only way they might skip us is if they want to go to Georgia-Alabama the next week for a top 5 matchup (assuming AL doesn't lose to Wisconsin; not imagining GA loses to Kentucky). That would be 3 SEC weeks in a row. I know they own the contract, but seems like they wouldn't want to completely alienate the other conferences' fanbases.

VN Store

Back