Will there be a Rivals 5* from TN for '08?

VolunteerHillbilly

Spike Drinks, Not Trees
I'm limiting this inquiry to Rivals because they seem to be a bit stingier with the 5-star rating than Scout but I guess it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. For a state that is not much of a football factory at the HS level, there have been a good run of 5* TN kids over the past three years. From my brief survey of the landscape I do not see in-state guys who are likely to keep the streak alive. Am I overlooking someone?

According to some media recruiting people I've talked with their will be. The QB from Maryville is considered to be one of the top QBs in the country and the TB from Brentwood is also considered to be an excellent prospect. If you put alot of value in this "star" rating system, which I don't, the QB out of Sullivan South could very easily be a 5 star before the season is over.

No 5*s in state. The QB from Maryville isn't even D1 material. Jordan from Brentwood is good but, at best, top 50 type. Phillips may end up ranked like BJ Coleman from this past year. A few other players to watch for are Preston Bailey, Barrett Jones, Rod Wilkes, Aaron Douglas, Donta' Hightower, and Marlon Walls.

Maybe I was being a little harsh, he may go low, low D1 but he is nowhere near the top 100 QBs in the country right now.

Hey HVwarrior you're so friggin smart I guess you're another one of these people who knows more than the coaches/recruiting gurus. FYI Brent Burnett, the QB from Maryville, is being recruited by many of the top D1 FB programs and has already been invited to take part in the Elite Eleven FB camp for the nation's top rated QB prospects. Chris Jordan, the TB out of Brentwood, will be a highly recruited player as well. Curt Phillips - Sullivan South QB, is being targeted as Va Tech's prime QB recruit; Alabama, Georgia, Florida and North Carolina are other out-of-state schools seriously interested in this young man. I only hope Tennessee can land one of these QB prospects and from what I'm hearing Burnett would probably be the first choice but either one would be great.

Curt Phillips is a better prospect than Burnett. TN doesn't need a QB this year but I think we whould take Phillips to be safe. Especially since he will be a high caliber player.

Crompton - 2 years left after this year
Stephens - 3 years left after this year
Coleman - 4 years after redshirting this year

Curt Phillips is a better prospect than Burnett. TN doesn't need a QB this year but I think we whould take Phillips to be safe. Especially since he will be a high caliber player.

Crompton - 2 years left after this year
Stephens - 3 years left after this year
Coleman - 4 years after redshirting this year

I agree, it will be hard for UT to get another QB that expects to play any time soon.

Hey HVwarrior you're so friggin smart I guess you're another one of these people who knows more than the coaches/recruiting gurus. FYI Brent Burnett, the QB from Maryville, is being recruited by many of the top D1 FB programs and has already been invited to take part in the Elite Eleven FB camp for the nation's top rated QB prospects. Chris Jordan, the TB out of Brentwood, will be a highly recruited player as well. Curt Phillips - Sullivan South QB, is being targeted as Va Tech's prime QB recruit; Alabama, Georgia, Florida and North Carolina are other out-of-state schools seriously interested in this young man. I only hope Tennessee can land one of these QB prospects and from what I'm hearing Burnett would probably be the first choice but either one would be great.

Stick around and you'll find out that HV is very rarely wrong. He didn't become the recruiting mod by accident.

I'll take HV's opinion over this guys any day.

It's funny how he is invited to the Elite 11 camp when only 2 QBs have been invited so far and those are Andrew Luck and Dayne Crist. I would watch for Nick Crissman, Domique Blackmon, Terrelle Pryor, E.J. Manuel, Landry Jones, Jacory Harris, Pat Donnelly, Reid McCollum, D.C. Jefferson, Kyle Parker, and Blaine Gabbert to be in the hunt for the last spots.

O and Burnette doesn't even have a single high major offer yet. He may be getting some looks, but nothing near what the elite QBs are getting. What guru is saying he is a top QB because that guy must be smoking some good stuff.

Phillips nor Burnette are UT's top QB priority. The top 3 are E.J. Manuel(in his top 10, likely FSU), Terrelle Pryor(likely OSU though Cut has been pushing and he says he wants to visit), and D.C. Jefferson(grade issues but most think we land him if we push). Curt Phillips may be the 4th QB on our list.

I couldn't disagree more. I was very impressed with his arm strength in the state title game. I say he will go D1, maybe Vandy or a small conference team.
He is definitly not big time D1 material. I doubt he will be D1. He's a very far cry from top QBs in the country. There have been several QBs in the area the last couple years that were better then him and havent gone higher then 1-AA. He has been throwing to what is most likely the most talented wide receiver core in the state. Getting a letter and getting an offer are two completely different things. Alot of DII prospects get 1-A letters.

O, and Phillips isn't VT's prime QB target. That'd be Mr. Mike Glennon(who is also a possible Elite 11 QB). Phillips isn't even holding an offer from VT. His highest offer is from Duke.

Jordan will be recruited highly, but he is nowhere near the level of Chris Donald, Brandon Warren, or Patrick Turner. He may break the top 50.

I just want Terrelle Pryor to become a Vol(million-to-one shot, I know)...I'm not too concerned with any other qb prospects in this class...although, like most, I'm intrigued by DC Jefferson.

Jefferson could be another JaMarcus Russell, both the good and the bad, though. Manuel or Pryor would be a coup but I doubt that will happen. I think we end up with Jefferson if we look past the grades, which we should since QB isn't a priority this year. If not, I think we take Phillips and hope he blooms like Coleman did last year.

I know for a fact that there have been numerous coaches looking at Phillips. A very close friend of mine is his coach and I have been on the sideline when most of the coaches have been there. I know that Duke, Randy Sanders of UK, Cutcliff of UT, Wisconsin, Furman, Va Tech (Beamer), Richt from Georgia, Geargia Tech, Central Florida, Stanford, and Ole Miss have been there. He was on his way to Va Tech for his offer on the day of the shooting at the campus. When Cutcliff was there, he was dressed in a suit. He sure looked spiffy......Not too bad of a following for a small town boy!!! Phillips was also annnounced as a candidate for next years Army-Navy All American Game.

Yes, there are about 5000 HS SRs that are candidates for that game as well. I never said he was bad, but you have no idea if you actually think he is as good as the other QBs I listed. And it isn't a huge deal that those coaches were there. It is nice, but they do that all the time. It is called evaluating a player.

Just because there is no 5*s doesn't mean it is a bad year. There are a lot of good players, just too many questions. Alot of good linemen though.

There is no real elite player in the state this year but I think we could take commitments from instate players and our JUCO/prep prospects and still have a very solid class and hit all of our needs. It won't happen, but it is possible.

How about Barrett Jones? I don't much keep up with the west end of the state since it's not generally thought of as prime recruiting territory for UT, but this guy looks strong.

He is good. If we could land him, David Spurlock, and Preston Bailey to go along with Carson Anderson and maybe 1 more OL(Antoine McClain maybe?) then we would be set at OL for this class. His dad did play at Bama, though he says that won't affect his decision.

VN Store

Back