Youngest McCain to enlist

utvolpj

Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
McCain's son to be a Marine This takes the wind out of some of the Dems arguments.

In some ways, though, Jimmy is breaking with tradition, rather than following it. His brother Jack, now 20, has just finished his plebe year at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, where his father, grandfather and great-grandfather went before him. And McCain, the Naval aviator and keen interservice competitor, has been known to crack more than a few jokes at the Marines' expense. McCain says he doesn't read much into Jimmy's decision. "I know that he's aware of his family's service background," he says, "but I think the main motivator was, he had friends who were in the Marine Corps, and he'd known Marines, and he'd read about them, and he just wanted to join up."

McCain says his son's service won't change his position on the war; he claims it won't even affect how he feels about it. "Like every parent who has a son or daughter serving that way, you will have great concern, but you'll also have great pride," McCain says. But it will be hard to ignore. If Republicans retain control of the Senate after November's midterm elections, McCain is due to ascend to the chairmanship of the Armed Services Committee in January, a position he has long aimed for. There he will have day-to-day responsibility for the oversight of the war.

And then there's 2008. McCain already has strong national-security credentials. His son's service only strengthens his position. It will neutralize the assertions of the left that Republicans are "chicken hawks," pursuing the war for ideological reasons without any connection to the pain of it. And it will likely have a broader affect on McCain's credibility. Critics have accused McCain of pandering to the right in order to solidify his front-runner status, but the power of that argument is diminished if McCain is seen steadfastly supporting a war even as it endangers his youngest son.

Kind of related to the topic and kind of off topic...One of the statements I despise most from anti-war protesters, is, "Bring Our Boys Home." Being that we now have an all volunteer military, most of our soldiers (especially those in line units) come from families that support what it is we are doing in Iraq. Therefore, most of the protesters do not have 'their boys from their homes,' over there, hence, they cannot state, "Bring Our Boys Home."

If you had a kid in Iraq that was putting his or her life on the line everyday, would you NOT support the reasoning? I'm not for what we did personally but I'll be damned if I'd ever say that to the face of a parent who's child is over there (or wife or son or daughter, etc.). Whether they are their voluntarily or not doesn't matter to me. I appreciate their courage and convictions. Old men start wars for young men to fight and finish.

(BHAMVOLFAN @ Jul 31 said:
If you had a kid in Iraq that was putting his or her life on the line everyday, would you NOT support the reasoning? I'm not for what we did personally but I'll be damned if I'd ever say that to the face of a parent who's child is over there (or wife or son or daughter, etc.). Whether they are their voluntarily or not doesn't matter to me. I appreciate their courage and convictions. Old men start wars for young men to fight and finish.

You are definitely barking up the wrong tree, BHAM. It was gracious of me to only state that about the current war. However, seeing as we have not conscripted men into the infantry since WWII (and even then, not the 101st nor 82nd,) I would state that the "Bring Our Boys Home" statement has been ridiculous every single time it has been used.

i have to respectfully disagree with you, i have had a few friends over there, and the statement "bring our boys home" not only applies to my line of thinking, but also that of many of their family members and other friends. the possessive pronoun "our" is rather subjective

"f you had a kid in Iraq that was putting his or her life on the line everyday, would you NOT support the reasoning? I'm not for what we did personally but I'll be damned if I'd ever say that to the face of a parent who's child is over there (or wife or son or daughter, etc.)."

I've been in the Marine Corps for a tad over 5 years, and have yet to see any children sent to Iraq. These are grown men and women who signed contracts, swore oaths and are getting paid. I do realize parents and spouses are just that and care about their loved ones, but to say "our boys and girls" is silly. Talk to an Army Ranger and tell him he's a child.

Also its pathetic, this notion, that our country is using these men and women. They are paid and paid very well. Look at the wages for typical 18-22 year olds, now look at what we pay our military. I cannot count the number of Marines, soldiers, sailors or airman, I know who volunteer to go for the monetary benefits. Its their job to do such things.

I also have a son, and nothing would make me more proud, than to see him serve his country. Sen McCain must be proud.

(USMCvol @ Aug 1 said:
"f you had a kid in Iraq that was putting his or her life on the line everyday, would you NOT support the reasoning? I'm not for what we did personally but I'll be damned if I'd ever say that to the face of a parent who's child is over there (or wife or son or daughter, etc.)."

I've been in the Marine Corps for a tad over 5 years, and have yet to see any children sent to Iraq. These are grown men and women who signed contracts, swore oaths and are getting paid. I do realize parents and spouses are just that and care about their loved ones, but to say "our boys and girls" is silly. Talk to an Army Ranger and tell him he's a child.

Also its pathetic, this notion, that our country is using these men and women. They are paid and paid very well. Look at the wages for typical 18-22 year olds, now look at what we pay our military. I cannot count the number of Marines, soldiers, sailors or airman, I know who volunteer to go for the monetary benefits. Its their job to do such things.

I also have a son, and nothing would make me more proud, than to see him serve his country. Sen McCain must be proud.

Agree with everything you say, except that.

Here is what the avg soldier will earn in a year in Iraq:
PFC: $25,434 $6.99/hr
SPC: 28,487 $7.83
SGT: 33,728 $9.27
SSGT: 43,733 $12.01
SFC: 48,114 $13.22

2LT: 37,807 $10.39
1LT: 50,004 $13.74
CPT: 65,124 $17.89

Considering that being involved in combat operations involves the equivalent of about a 70-80 hour work week, the respective hourly wages are also indicated up there.

(therealUT @ Aug 1 said:
Agree with everything you say, except that.

Here is what the avg soldier will earn in a year in Iraq:
PFC: $25,434 $6.99/hr
SPC: 28,487 $7.83
SGT: 33,728 $9.27
SSGT: 43,733 $12.01
SFC: 48,114 $13.22

2LT: 37,807 $10.39
1LT: 50,004 $13.74
CPT: 65,124 $17.89

Considering that being involved in combat operations involves the equivalent of about a 70-80 hour work week, the respective hourly wages are also indicated up there.

Did you include Housing and Food allowances? All allowances are tax free, and in a combat zone ALL pay is tax free. Including re-enlistment bonuses worth thousands.

Also consider this site. It includes averages of variables like BAH, BAS and Time in Service.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinf...06enlsalary.htm

(USMCvol @ Aug 1 said:
Did you include Housing and Food allowances? All allowances are tax free, and in a combat zone ALL pay is tax free. Including re-enlistment bonuses worth thousands.

Also consider this site. It includes averages of variables like BAH, BAS and Time in Service.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinf...06enlsalary.htm

Yes, average BAH is included in those calculations. Food allowances are not granted in combat zones (only for soldiers with dependents...which is not many young enlisted.)

honestly, i believe that a lot of this argument has more to do with semantics than anything, and that is the silly part.

(emainvol @ Aug 1 said:
honestly, i believe that a lot of this argument has more to do with semantics than anything, and that is the silly part.

This whole thread had everything to do with semantics. It was the basis of utvolpj's topic.

(emainvol @ Aug 1 said:

Welcome to the political forum :wavey:

(therealUT @ Aug 1 said:
Yes, average BAH is included in those calculations. Food allowances are not granted in combat zones (only for soldiers with dependents...which is not many young enlisted.)

Thats what the Per Diem is for and its 11 dollars in day in Iraq now.

VN Store

Back