Your Opinion On Old Signing Day!

Those were good days...Wake up in the morning and wait for the fax machine to start humming. The December date just isn't the same...Football season going on among other things. February was a good time to get past the Winter when football season was over.

I think early signing period should be in August and the regular signing day should be late January or early February.

This way the player has the option to sign in August before the school year starts and they don’t have to worry about recruiting during their senior season unless that is what they want and then give coaches time to wind the season down if a normal signing period is needed for these players.

Last edited:
I used to like it. I believe the current timeline for signings (especially transfers) is untenable and will be changed sooner than later. The 2023 early signing day was December 20th, which falls in the middle of bowl season. The worst timing of anything in college football is the opening of the transfer portal DURING bowl season. We all saw the devastation this caused many teams, especially Florida State. I'm not claiming to know the answer or have a plan, but something must change from the current system for the good of the sport.

Doug Matthews said the early signing period was going away bc coaches couldn't maintain the work load. When they made the change, there was no transfer portal. So college coaches are pushing for the change back to the original date. So it maybe coming back.

Other things he said, SEC would prolly stay with 8 game schedules bc it's working so far. Only way we change is if espn tells the sec they need to make the change for more, better games. He said what that means is we play our primary rival which is slotted as Vanderbilt every year, then we play Alabama every other year.

Signing day was a national holiday.

Especially when Sandman would post every fax coming in to the football office.

That was so much dang fun - and there were kids holding pressers all day and doing the obnoxious hat drill and etc -

Y’all can hate ol Fulmer all you want, but the man was damn good at making NSD a great thing…. Looks like Josh H is going to follow suit !!

I personally enjoyed it more, but I do think an early signing period is better for the athletes.

The problem is we need an actual early signing period (august or July for example).

Reactions: Wrangler95
National Signing was basically a holiday!
It was awesome waiting to see who could flip, or waiting for the committed kids to sign.

It also gave the students time over the holidays to reflect on their life before making a huge lifetime choice one month later.

Everything is about Standing on Business, nowadays.

I miss the old tradition. I hope it comes back

Reactions: Wrangler95
I used to like it. I believe the current timeline for signings (especially transfers) is untenable and will be changed sooner than later. The 2023 early signing day was December 20th, which falls in the middle of bowl season. The worst timing of anything in college football is the opening of the transfer portal DURING bowl season. We all saw the devastation this caused many teams, especially Florida State. I'm not claiming to know the answer or have a plan, but something must change from the current system for the good of the sport.
Absolutely 100%

VN Store

Back