YouTube critics exposed!

BenGrimm

Formally known as burntorangeVOLffle
I think most folks that post in this forum are pretty sensible when it comes to why they do or don’t like a movie without running it through their political lens. There are a few that pop up every now and then and I can tell exactly where their buzz words come from.

Yesterday this popped up in my YT feed and I think this guy does a great job of exposing these bad faith critics that grift on outrage. It’s definitely worth a watch.

I think everybody has a phase where they are their most cynical. For me, it was ages 24 to 30 ish. I **** on everything, and it made me feel cool/above it all, etc. At some point, I realized it can be fun to **** on stuff, but it's more fun to enjoy things, and people will like you more when you are pleasant. Save the negativity for stuff that truly deserves it. A lot of people never grow out of that, and they love this kind of content. People who will never do anything that matters* have insecurities and trashing those who go out and do big things is a great way to feed the ego.

*and beyond that, a lot of these guys can't even find a girlfriend.

I think everybody has a phase where they are their most cynical. For me, it was ages 24 to 30 ish. I **** on everything, and it made me feel cool/above it all, etc. At some point, I realized it can be fun to **** on stuff, but it's more fun to enjoy things, and people will like you more when you are pleasant. Save the negativity for stuff that truly deserves it. A lot of people never grow out of that, and they love this kind of content. People who will never do anything that matters* have insecurities and trashing those who go out and do big things is a great way to feed the ego.

Certainly there is a pompous phase of life where everyone thinks what they like is best, everything else is crap, and the people who liked it were idiots. When I was in my 20s I definitely got my negative rants on. But outside of some fragmented message boards with a few thousand members per board, unless you were willing to put in the effort to build a blog and it somehow hit, there really wasn’t the platform to penetrate the zeitgeist like there is today.

It also wasn’t monetized like it is today.

What concerns me is the pre-hate. The ratio campaigns. The bad faith nitpicking from political lens. And then it becomes buzz words you see all across the internet.

Just look at the comments under a trailer for this new Star Wars show. Nothing in that trailer was particularly bad or cringy but the lead character is female (Trinity from the Matrix even) so the haters are coming out in force to squash it.

Although watching them have to 180 on X-Men 97 was hilarious. It went from “This show is DOA” to “yeah… uh… it’s ok”

I’ve even witnessed it one of my nephews who was a huge MCU fan. But he’s fallen down the YT rabbit hole and won’t allow himself to enjoy it anymore.

Reactions: Pennheel
Certainly there is a pompous phase of life where everyone thinks what they like is best, everything else is crap, and the people who liked it were idiots. When I was in my 20s I definitely got my negative rants on. But outside of some fragmented message boards with a few thousand members per board, unless you were willing to put in the effort to build a blog and it somehow hit, there really wasn’t the platform to penetrate the zeitgeist like there is today.

What concerns me is the pre-hate. The ratio campaigns. The bad faith nitpicking from political lens. And then it becomes buzz words you see all across the internet.

Just look at the comments under a trailer for this new Star Wars show. Nothing in that trailer was particularly bad or cringy but the lead character is female (Trinity from the Matrix even) so the haters are coming out in force to squash it.

Although watching them have to 180 on X-Men 97 was hilarious. It went from “This show is DOA” to “yeah… uh… it’s ok”

I’ve even witnessed it one of my nephews who was a huge MCU fan. But he’s fallen down the YT rabbit hole and won’t allow himself to enjoy it anymore.

I'm with you on all of this. The biggest problem is this is the behavior that gets attention. So much noise on the internet, and when you don't have talent, trolling is the best way to get eyeballs. You even get eyeballs and engagement from people who hate what you are saying. That's actually where all the engagement comes from, and that's what makes it go viral (or at least get better visibility).

I think most folks that post in this forum are pretty sensible when it comes to why they do or don’t like a movie without running it through their political lens. There are a few that pop up every now and then and I can tell exactly where their buzz words come from.

Yesterday this popped up in my YT feed and I think this guy does a great job of exposing these bad faith critics that grift on outrage. It’s definitely worth a watch.

lunacy

mshe u, woke hate, female woke nonsense. libtard, woke, nonsense, woke.

See I can do it too. They took er jeorbs.

People that fit the personality profile you're talking about I think are also more likely to be "too online" and consume a lot of content on the internet. Everyone uses the internet now, but people who have things to do, are involved in activities, have things going on in their life, etc. seem to be more pleasant just don't spend a lot of time on the internet *****ing on stuff.

It's a self-selecting thing. They go online and seek out/are attracted to content that does just that which reinforces their outlook (wow - there's all these people out there who agree with me). Plus, the too online crowd can be even more unhinged when you add online anonymity into it because they'll say things online they'd never say in person.

Very interesting. Personally did not go through that stage and perhaps that is a generational thing?

I tended to stick with genres I liked and "discovered" and expanded through the years. For example, have become a huge fan of Humphrey Bogart the last 20 years.

Have tended to like older movies. When I've done a personal top ten list, the 60s were the most represented.

Reactions: Pennheel
Very interesting. Personally did not go through that stage and perhaps that is a generational thing?

I tended to stick with genres I liked and "discovered" and expanded through the years. For example, have become a huge fan of Humphrey Bogart the last 20 years.

Have tended to like older movies. When I've done a personal top ten list, the 60s were the most represented.

I think it's pretty normal but not everybody goes thru it. I'm millennial. Chuck Klosterman is gen X and talked about it in one of his books. Hating things becomes as much of your identity as liking things is. He was mostly talking about the Eagles and how they were the epitome if his hatw and now he can appreciate them some.

Weird, just stumbled on this

Weird, just stumbled on this

That’s a good outlook.

I do want to say there is nothing wrong with not liking something and being critical of it.

It’s the bad faith hate that irks me.

X-Men 97 is a perfect example. The chuds were convinced the show was going to suck because the show runner, a gay man, said Moph would be non-binary. They lost their minds over that.

Then the show airs. It was AMAZING. Other than some subtle innuendo the Morph stuff was never directly addressed, while at the same time the dialog about hate and bigotry was beating you over the head with wokeness.

The chuds saw the overwhelmingly positive reaction to the show and knew they had to back track or play dumb.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
mshe u, woke hate, female woke nonsense. libtard, woke, nonsense, woke.

See I can do it too. They took er jeorbs.

But that agenda is true. The showrunners, writer basically say it in many interviews. So yeah, they can be very accurate

But that agenda is true. The showrunners, writer basically say it in many interviews. So yeah, they can be very accurate

Nobody is saying artists don't inject their beliefs into their art. Of course, they do.

Imagine making a show or writing a book or whatever and saying, "I'm not going to demonstrate my values in any of this." That's not going to work most of the time.

The problem isn't that artists have agendas. That is and will always be the case. You know there is stuff you love where the artist has an agenda and even admits to it!

Reactions: BenGrimm
Now that the chuds have been told The Boys is satire making fun of them, they are review bombing it. These people are so fragile.

VN Store

Back