Dilione to the portal

Me too. I think he could have provided a missing element in offense, but the defense was a problem.

Defense was a problem, I won’t deny that. But Barnes has made clear strides in allowing some poor defense to go for buckets. I think Dillione could have grown enough on defense to make that trade worth it.

Some of the people comparing him to BHH or other “busts” are insane. We had arguably the deepest guard rotation in the country from an experience standpoint. Even Gainey had more game experience. I don’t think it is an indictment of his talent that he couldn’t break through. I was factoring him in as major contributor next year, and I guess now we’ll have to go portaling

I mean it’s not as if he flashed offensively either though, he struggled with his handles and didn’t show any above average skill that we saw. Now maybe that turns into something elsewhere, maybe not, but I’m pretty indifferent on the departure. Would’ve been nice to see what he could’ve developed into here and always enjoy the development and long tenured guys, but in todays game patience is rare. Again pretty indifferent, I would hope you can get someone in the portal who is likely a bigger contributor than he likely was going to be.

Yeah I liked watching those guys play. Unfortunately, they had to carry the load. We were in a position these past two years where we were stacked with talent and just saying it would have been nice to be able to get a guy like Diliione or Edwards minutes throughout the year and see if they can be solid contributors by end of the year. Not blaming Rick or complaining about anything Tennessee did. I just get excited for these guys and haven't really seen any freshmen be able to contribute since Chandler.
Totally forgot about Chandler. He was our best player the one year he was here. I think the hope was Dillione would spell both ZZ and Santi this year, but the early season injury likely set him back enough that it became difficult for him to earn a spot in the rotation

Me too. I think he could have provided a missing element in offense, but the defense was a problem.
I’m definitely bummed he’s going. Sounds like it was mutual, as is often the case. Wish him the best. Got to see him play in HS and always thought he’d be big for us. Isn’t happening.

Last edited:
This sucks. Most on here seem happy to see him go (odd), but I was really excited to see what type of impact he could have next season with so many minutes opening up at guard.

I think people have been a bit too hard on him and his development. He sat behind a ton of upperclassmen with 3-5 years of experience. It didn’t surprise me he couldn’t break the rotation here.

Hate to see him go.
How is minutes opening up for him? ZZ plays 38-40 every game. He’s behind Gainey and Mashack and probably Carr also.

I don't doubt it is hard to learn Barnes defense and to get into that kind of shape. Takes a special kind of player.

Edit; Machack is a great example of a player who started out meh. He has become of the greatest defensive players in college. Look forward to him being a starter next year.
While still a bit raw, his offense has improved. He's much better at the line too

How is minutes opening up for him? ZZ plays 38-40 every game. He’s behind Gainey and Mashack and probably Carr also.

Dillione isn’t a PG. He is much closer to a 2 guard. ZZ’s minutes wouldn’t impact him. I know JJJ played the 4 a lot, but he is still a guard. We lost 3 starters, all guards, so there is going to be a lot of minutes to spread around. How would his role not have grown? There are a lot of unknowns, but it feels pretty safe and correct to say he was poised for a much larger role here next year if he stayed.

Reactions: Voljayton
I believe the stacking of our veteran talent kept him from being on the floor more. Was excited to see him develop. Not that there's anything we can do about it, but it just is what it is. Think he'll be one that we wish we had back. Don't really think he was in Barnes' dog house...just think you couldn't look at our veteran rotation and make sense of him getting more PT for what he was showing.

On the other hand, think senior departures and now this departure and only one HS signee means we can be pretty aggressive in the portal, and there's some really good talent out there.
He’s a PG right? The only guy he is was really behind was ZZ. Which he did sub in for at times. Now when Gainey started taking time at PG occasionally was when I knew he was still a year away.
Good luck wherever he goes unless he plays Vols.

Freddie Buckets seemed 1/2 step slow in an up tempo game, don't think he was 100 percent the first half of the season, but he didn't seem like a 2 that could drive to the basket or an undersized 3 with an uncanny ability to score from the perimeter, just never found a niche to slide into, he will do well at a mid major on the east coast, maybe with a former Barnes assistant somewhere

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Dang. This is one dude I thought when the switch would finally come on he’d be B.A. Hope he’s not another Burns for us. I always loved his highlights.
Not another Burns? Burns has had one solid year and 9 fantastic games in a row since he left Vols.
It’s not like he has been dominating his conference for 3 or 4 years. However, I am all in on rooting for him and the Wolfpack!

Hopefully he finds somewhere he can succeed. But this was evidently going to happen. I don't comsider it a loss either. He was too slow, turnover prone, and not sharp enough getting to the rim. This opens up a spot we can give to more proven talent.

Not another Burns? Burns has had one solid year and 9 fantastic games in a row since he left Vols.
It’s not like he has been dominating his conference for 3 or 4 years. However, I am all in on rooting for him and the Wolfpack!
Yep, Burns has to have the right kind of refs for his bump bully game, and it will get complicated when he plays vs Edey a ref conundrum.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
While I have no bitterness towards Burns as I think he was the one one who missed out on reaching his potential by transferring. He was the player of the year in his conference at Winthrop and has had two solid seasons at NC State.

This sucks. Most on here seem happy to see him go (odd), but I was really excited to see what type of impact he could have next season with so many minutes opening up at guard.

I think people have been a bit too hard on him and his development. He sat behind a ton of upperclassmen with 3-5 years of experience. It didn’t surprise me he couldn’t break the rotation here.

Hate to see him go.
Not "happy" to see him go but not surprised. Like someone else said, Carr has already shown more in his limited minutes in 1 season.

Yeah I liked watching those guys play. Unfortunately, they had to carry the load. We were in a position these past two years where we were stacked with talent and just saying it would have been nice to be able to get a guy like Diliione or Edwards minutes throughout the year and see if they can be solid contributors by end of the year. Not blaming Rick or complaining about anything Tennessee did. I just get excited for these guys and haven't really seen any freshmen be able to contribute since Chandler.
Rick has never been shy of letting freshman play. Ever. If that can help win games they will see the court.
Not only did Kennedy play 31mins a game that year but ZZ & Huntley-Hatfield played in every game and started some. Also Shak and Aidoo played in most of the games.
Then last year Phillips played a ton of minutes and Tobe play 8-10 most games. Phillips just about disappeared last 10 games offensively.

While I have no bitterness towards Burns as I think he was the one one who missed out on reaching his potential by transferring. He was the player of the year in his conference at Winthrop and has had two solid seasons at NC State.
You know your right
I had my big man transfers mixed together. DJ has been solid throughout. BHH was the one who has just been so-so. My bad
Drew Pember has been great as well.

He looked nervous and scared to make a mistake, like most players who play for Rick Barnes. He will pull you for your first error unless you’re a starting guy - and even then (@Jonas Aidoo).
Aidoo deserved to be pulled. And Barnes wants to win by playing defense. You can't play defense, you won't play.

He looked nervous and scared to make a mistake, like most players who play for Rick Barnes. He will pull you for your first error unless you’re a starting guy - and even then (@Jonas Aidoo).

He looked dreadful on defense everytime he played. Idk how you can play scared on defense.

Reactions: BruisedOrange

VN Store

Back