Awaka to the portal

From the outside looking in, it feels like a one or the other situation with Milicic and Tobe. Seems like the staff covets Milicic. Understandable that this would affect Tobe’s thinking.

I’m sure the staff would like to have both but probably understands that getting both is pretty unlikely.
They are two different players though and would likely play two different positions.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
They are two different players though and would likely play two different positions.

They are different players with different styles of play but both would be asked to play the 4 and 5 at times. Offense would change a bit depending on the lineup.

If Awaka wants 25+ minutes, I don’t think he gets it here if Milicic comes in. Think fhe minutes would be split pretty evenly amongst him, Milicic, and Estrella, with the hot hand getting the most minutes on any given night.

Someone connected to the program that I have known for years (and usually gives me good info) told me he's got an NIL offer out there close to 700k from another program.
Regardless of your overall vagueness, I can easily see that.

From the outside looking in, it feels like a one or the other situation with Milicic and Tobe. Seems like the staff covets Milicic. Understandable that this would affect Tobe’s thinking.

I’m sure the staff would like to have both but probably understands that getting both is pretty unlikely.
I personally feel there’s clearly room for both Ave a need as they bring different styles, but I can also see Tobe/his people looking at it as creating uncertainty.

Dubar/Milicic
Awaka/Estrella

I think you can get those 4 all 20-25 minutes a night IMO

Do you think our big transfer more because Barnes coaches them up in seemingly everything but offense?? Tobe of was a double double machine over the summer..posting up, but we don't seem to utilize that style as much and if a big wants to get to the next level. It's all about the offense..

I personally feel there’s clearly room for both Ave a need as they bring different styles, but I can also see Tobe/his people looking at it as creating uncertainty.

Dubar/Milicic
Awaka/Estrella

If Tobe wants more minutes, he needs to learn how not to foul. Because that, not Tennessee’s depth chart, will be what determines how much PT he gets. Right now, Tennessee can’t count on him to be able to stay on the floor.

Dubar/Milicic
Awaka/Estrella

And frankly, Tobe is asking for the staff to have just as much faith in him that he can stay on the floor for more than 20 minutes, as the staff is asking him to have that they will provide him the opportunity for that much floor time.

For a guy whose foul rate rose from 5.4 per 40 to 7.6 despite only playing less than 3 more minutes/games, he's asking for an awful lot of commitment and exclusivity from our staff.

If Tobe wants more minutes, he needs to learn how not to foul. Because that, not Tennessee’s depth chart, will be what determines how much PT he gets. Right now, Tennessee can’t count on him to be able to stay on the floor.
Exactly, and finding greener pastures and a coach willing to fill his head full of promises won't keep him on the floor when he picks up his 3rd foul in the 1st half. It isn't an opportunity issue, it's a floor discipline issue.

Not a criticism but more what is going on with portal bigs and Tennessee not being able to keep them.

Is it that the bigs all want to shoot 3s and Barnes tells them they don't make high enough percentage. NIL issue in the sense team doesn't want to devote that type of money to a 5? Combination of factors?

Kind of seems like starting with BHH, Nkamhoua, and now Aidoo/Awaka they hardly finish their careers here anymore.

And frankly, Tobe is asking for the staff to have just as much faith in him that he can stay on the floor for more than 20 minutes, as the staff is asking him to have that they will provide him the opportunity for that much floor time.

For a guy whose foul rate rose from 5.4 per 40 to 7.6 despite only playing less than 3 more minutes/games, he's asking for an awful lot of commitment and exclusivity from our staff.
Don’t disagree a bit

I’d welcome Tobe back in a heartbeat, he’s a fan favorite and brought what Aidoo was missing. But….I agree that we aren’t instantly a contender for SEC champs if he returns. The fouling and lack of scoring range are problems. What we need is Estrella to be a blended version of Aidoo/Awaka and Awaka to show he can increase his minutes & production.

Reactions: Lankykong
Not a criticism but more what is going on with portal bigs and Tennessee not being able to keep them.

Is it that the bigs all want to shoot 3s and Barnes tells them they don't make high enough percentage. NIL issue in the sense team doesn't want to devote that type of money to a 5? Combination of factors?

Kind of seems like starting with BHH, Nkamhoua, and now Aidoo/Awaka they hardly finish their careers here anymore.

The first 2 went to terrible programs... Was a dumb move on their part.

FYP. Neither Louisville nor Michigan are terrible programs.
Louisville was a complete dumpster fire last year, and Michigan wasn't far behind last year. Neither program sniffed the NCAA tournament last season, so neither are great programs right now. My guess is both Kelsey (Louisville) and May (Michigan) will change that soon, but last year neither program was good.

Dubar/Milicic
Awaka/Estrella

If we’re to pull that off I think Awaka gets all the minutes he can handle without fouling out and then you go from there lol. His rebounding and toughness would be invaluable to the team next year imo.

But also the more I dive deep into Milicic the more I like him. His shooting form and quickness of his release are spectacular for a guy his size. Charlotte ranked 356 in tempo last season, so his offensive numbers are a bit handicapped, but he was very efficient and has a lot of skills for a guy his size. And he rebounds ok too.

With current roster as it stands for next year and incoming frosh/transfers, without Aidoo nor Awaka, who would play the 4 or 5 spot besides JPE & CP?

A thousand likes for this. At some point and with a large enough body of evidence, you start to see a likelihood of what that player simply is. Do you go into a season with a dependence on a guy with Awaka's history or is it a safer play to use the portal? No offense to Awaka, but I'd take my shot in the portal.

With current roster as it stands for next year and incoming frosh/transfers, without Aidoo nor Awaka, who would play the 4 or 5 spot besides JPE & CP?

We're just gonna need for you to pump some extra sunshine next year... But actually, we need to convince Awaka to stay (rumored, but confidence dropping) or hit up the portal.

VN Store

Back