Awaka to Arizona

Help me understand. How does transferring get you paid? Is it just putting yourself out there for bid to see what the highest is? Makes sense if the current school won't pony up that much. I wonder what he's making?
I was looking forward to Tobey really coming out next year. I guess he will, but it'll be for the wildcats.

Reactions: walkenvol
Help me understand. How does transferring get you paid? Is it just putting yourself out there for bid to see what the highest is? Makes sense if the current school won't pony up that much. I wonder what he's making?
I was looking forward to Tobey really coming out next year. I guess he will, but it'll be for the wildcats.

Teams are communicating offers to current players before they enter the portal to entice them. Technically, I don't believe there is such a thing as tampering anymore after the very lawsuit that we filed with VA on the Nico case argued that players would lose income if they couldn't be made aware of available opportunities.

Not sure if that's the best move for him. He should have gone to a smaller basketball program where he could get the bulk of minutes and dominate. Arizona usually likes to have bigger bigs than 6'9..

He doesn’t seem to have made any real progress in tamping down the fouling. If he can’t do that, he won’t reach his full potential anywhere. That said I l’m sad to see him go. IMO for this fan, the toughest thing about the NIL marketplace and the portal are having to make your peace with seeing players ship off that you associated with your team’s identity. He sure seemed like a VFL, now he’s just somebody that we used to know.

The only ones left out of the new equation are the fans, since they can't change teams. It's musical chairs for everyone else. Any system built on not satisfying the people paying the bill will eventually fail. I can say that following the teams exciting run and the immediate jump to the portal afterward, my stomach turned as a fan. It's not that they went for the money, its the fact that its only about the money now.

So he left Tennessee over lack of playing time, but transferred to a school where he'll get even less playing time? Um k

Not sure if that's the best move for him. He should have gone to a smaller basketball program where he could get the bulk of minutes and dominate. Arizona usually likes to have bigger bigs than 6'9..
On the other hand,,, if down deep you know you have no or little future as a NBA player, I expect you would find and take the best money offer out there. In other words "make hay while the sun shines"

The only ones left out of the new equation are the fans, since they can't change teams. It's musical chairs for everyone else. Any system built on not satisfying the people paying the bill will eventually fail. I can say that following the teams exciting run and the immediate jump to the portal afterward, my stomach turned as a fan. It's not that they went for the money, its the fact that its only about the money now.

TBF, this year's run was the end of an era with JJJ and Santi graduating and DK leaving for a lottery pick in the draft and the typical yearly attrition.

Next year's team was always going to look very different. Losing Dilione is not much of a loss IMO, it sucks that Jefferson couldn't mature and get his ish together and it would have been nice to keep Awaka but he was always going to be a specialized player who struggled at times due to lack of height or versatility to play smaller ball.

Personally, I don’t think this was a good move from a career standpoint.

He’s pretty much an undersized center with limited offensive range. Can the coaches help him develop a mid range shot? Maybe.

I don’t have any ill towards him though.

He didn’t back down against Edey and gave 100% effort across the board.

TBF, this year's run was the end of an era with JJJ and Santi graduating and DK leaving for a lottery pick in the draft and the typical yearly attrition.

Next year's team was always going to look very different. Losing Dilione is not much of a loss IMO, it sucks that Jefferson couldn't mature and get his ish together and it would have been nice to keep Awaka but he was always going to be a specialized player who struggled at times due to lack of height or versatility to play smaller ball.
Yes, it's true this was to be a down year but these players don't just show up and start playing well in a new system. The guys that transferred out have a lot of talent but could not see the floor because they could not produce in the Barnes system. I think all of them would have eventually made it. Some take longer than others. Same goes for the guys coming in, how long for them to get it? Everyone is comparing them like they are DK. The only reason he was playing is his incredible offense which overshadowed his defense in the Barnes system that requires both.

Aidoo is the big loss in this all. The rest of the guys would have been nice to keep but if they aren't happy let them go where they feel like they can be their best and all the luck to them. These are kids having to make business decisions that will affect their futures. We as fans do not know all the moving parts. I am personally just excited to see the team we have next season. This is for sure the end of an era but maybe the beginning of a new one?

Tobe is going to miss ZZ. ZZ was always looking to feed Tobe in the post. There aren't many point guards in the nation that are going to look out for a post guy like ZZ did for Tobe.

Last edited:
Just saw Tobe, walking around downtown, an hour ago.
I had some things I wanted to say to him but he’s more than half my age, more than twice my size and I didn’t feel much like showing off my Kung fu skillz today.
Should have asked Tobe how close Tucson was to New York.🤪🤪🤪

Last edited:
Reactions: cobbwebb0710

VN Store

Back