Battle of the PGs: the oft-criticized Jasmine Powell vs Bayou Barbie HVL

37620VOL

Barely-Known Member
This Summer I gave CKH some grief because I wanted HVL as a transfer and I thought it was a big miss. Was I wrong? I think so, here is an advanced statistical comparison of both during 2024 SEC play:

1708795997319.png

Shooting %s are a push, but Powell wins biggly on A/TO and RBs.

What do y'all think? Have we been selling Powell short?

Last edited:
This Summer I gave CKH some grief because I wanted HVL as a transfer and I thought it was a big miss. Was I wrong? I think so, here is an advanced statistical comparison of both during 2024 SEC play:

View attachment 622515

According to stats I just looked at on the LVs page, JP does not shoot 47.5% fm 2 pt. She shoots about 41%. I thought 47.5 sounded high. Even that is better than HVL tho. Yep, it looks pretty equal w JP being solidly ahead on assists per game and rebounding.I'm surprised their defensive eff is that close.

I wouldn't trade JP for HVL, but I do wish she'd give up a few more shots to Rickea. JP has been a hard working hero.

View attachment 622515

Powell has been much more active, assertive, competitive this season than last, from what I've seen. It's been a good thing,
though her shooting and offensive player can be a little erratic. She's been a plus, though I didn't realize her 3-point shooting
was so lousy. Not even 20 percent? That's not good for a guard.

Powell has been much more active, assertive, competitive this season than last, from what I've seen. It's been a good thing,
though her shooting and offensive player can be a little erratic. She's been a plus, though I didn't realize her 3-point shooting
She was 11 for 32 in the non-conference games (34.4%) which isn't great but is solid enough. She's really taken a nose-dive in SEC games at only 6 for 31 (19.4%). Luckily, Spear, Puckett, and even Rickea have all improved their 3% in SEC games to make up for it.

Very true. This is SEC play stats only. She was shooting a lot better earlier in the year. I think she's had some tape on the wrist, or maybe that's Spear? But yeah, if that one thing were 33% the comparison would be a blowout.

According to stats I just looked at on the LVs page, JP does not shoot 47.5% fm 2 pt. She shoots about 41%. I thought 47.5 sounded high. Even that is better than HVL tho. Yep, it looks pretty equal w JP being solidly ahead on assists per game and rebounding.I'm surprised their defensive eff is that close.

I wouldn't trade JP for HVL, but I do wish she'd give up a few more shots to Rickea. JP has been a hard working hero.

SEC play stats only. Not gonna give HVL credit for that cupcake schedule they played early in the year. The SEC grind is what matters.

Now watch HVL light us up tomorrow for the best game shes had all season smh ......lets just pray we rebound and play hard for 40 mins not give the opps ammunition.
Her having a big game won’t surprise me at all, I’ve notice that most of her big games this season has been against Pg’s that are 5’7 and smaller. She has a tougher time against taller Pg’s.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Her having a big game won’t surprise me at all, I’ve notice that most of her big games this season has been against Pg’s that are 5’7 and smaller. She has a tougher time against taller Pg’s.
I'm not sure she's a point guard. Also doesn't exactly fit into their system. Great player though.

I'm not sure she's a point guard. Also doesn't exactly fit into their system. Great player though.
I remain baffled by her decision to transfer to LSU and play point. She’s perhaps having more success at a team level, but I feel like her game individually has taken a step back as she’s changed to a point guard role at LSU. Maybe she’s hoping it’ll all click into place next year.

I remain baffled by her decision to transfer to LSU and play point. She’s perhaps having more success at a team level, but I feel like her game individually has taken a step back as she’s changed to a point guard role at LSU. Maybe she’s hoping it’ll all click into place next year.
I remember watching and hearing her say she "came to LSU to learn to play point guard" from Kim.

My guess is she figured it could improve her chances of making a roster at the next level if she could also play point guard. Thing is, to my eye, she hasn't looked to be in optimum physical condition all season, and I've wondered if she's struggling a bit.

I've also wondered if pro GMs will think she made the right decision. The kid obviously has skills. I remember last year saying on this board that HVL is one of the toughest, competitive and determined players in the country. I was jelly of Louisville. This year I feel she's a really good player, but not great. And her physical condition has slowed her down just enough that she doesn't appear to be quite as determined to be one of the greats.

I like the kid -- honestly, I pretty much like ALL college players -- so I'm hoping she puts it all together and can have a good pro career. She seems like that's all she's ever wanted and dreamed of. Ya know?

P..S. I also hope she and the rest of her teammates have a terrible game today and the Lady Vols spank them all the way back to Red Stick. I mean, I'm not crazy. Still want my Lady Vol children to whup up on everyone else every chance they get! 🧡

If a player of HVL's status left the LVs, I guarantee a parade of posters you could name would say the easy and obvious answer is she didn't want to play for the head coach anymore. Oddly, I don't see them on here saying the obvious in this situation: HVL did not want to play for Jeff Walz anymore. I think that was first and foremost. He's had quite a transfer turnover, far more than KJH. And yet . . .

Also I think she was looking for a natty but SC wanted Pao Pao, a much better player, so LSU was the next choice. Probably some thoughts about preparing for the W, but making a W roster will still be a stretch for her. I'm not sure trying make her into a point guard is helping at all.

I remember watching and hearing her say she "came to LSU to learn to play point guard" from Kim.

My guess is she figured it could improve her chances of making a roster at the next level if she could also play point guard. Thing is, to my eye, she hasn't looked to be in optimum physical condition all season, and I've wondered if she's struggling a bit.

I've also wondered if pro GMs will think she made the right decision. The kid obviously has skills. I remember last year saying on this board that HVL is one of the toughest, competitive and determined players in the country. I was jelly of Louisville. This year I feel she's a really good player, but not great. And her physical condition has slowed her down just enough that she doesn't appear to be quite as determined to be one of the greats.

I like the kid -- honestly, I pretty much like ALL college players -- so I'm hoping she puts it all together and can have a good pro career. She seems like that's all she's ever wanted and dreamed of. Ya know?

P..S. I also hope she and the rest of her teammates have a terrible game today and the Lady Vols spank them all the way back to Red Stick. I mean, I'm not crazy. Still want my Lady Vol children to whup up on everyone else every chance they get! 🧡
I saw that video of her .
She Hailey Wanted to prove she could play point guard.
That's why she more than likely came to LSU tigers.

Same as Marta wanted to play guard.Marta was a guard before coming to Rocky top.

With this transfer portal players don't have to play out of their prefer position like Marta and HVL

View attachment 622515

Live shot from Food City Arena with player of the game HVL

Reactions: knoxvol52

HVL proved who the better player is today.

VN Store

Back