Caldwell will be a star

IMO that’s very unfair to Kellie. She said and I believed she had zero interest in being a PS tribute act. Tried hard to get away from it, said it repeatedly. It was dumbss, lazy journalists like Maria who would never let her forget it.

I’m glad they went away from the PS coaching tree and a new style is fine, if she had or could get the proper players for it. Without them, and she’s nowhere close, this is Arkansas, or the Marshall team she took to Va Tech
She kind of was, though. Look at the product on the court. On offense , it's the same, predictable eithr dump it inside or hand to the star player (Ricandace Holdschingsimmons) and let her get to work while everyone else stands around and watches. Then crash the boards and fling the ball hopelessly at the hoop until you get a 2nd/3rd/4th chance bucket or fouled in the process. On defense, they always tried to use the same man defense which often failed because they didn't recruit the personnel for it, and when they went zone everyone looked uncomfortable and usually someone misses their assignment. With her brand new system, I agree that the first step will be making sure that they have the personnel for it, but in the event that she doesn't (and this is the biggest critique of Holly and Kellie), then don't try to force them into a system that just doesn't suit them. Case in point is how Dawn completely retooled her offense this year based on the players she has now, not the ones she had the last 4 years.

Finally, in spite of X's and O's flaws, Pat's greatest strength was how she could motivate her players; less so for Holly and Kellie because, understandably, they aren't Pat. You can try the same speeches and the same mannerisms, but doing so just makes you a tribute act that isn't nearly as effective as the real deal.

White will not fire Kim after one season unless she goes winless and loses each game by 30 points.

To fire her simply for not making the NCAA Tournament would make him look like an absolute idiot for hiring her in the first place.

Or, in the words of Coach Bugs, "a real maroon."
My guess would be three. One year transition, two years of fully your system. Particularly since we have so many graduating out next year. And that is, of course, barring real mediocrity. I could see a quicker transition if we suddenly were closer to Arkansas and Missouri than LSU, Ole Miss, and SC. I don’t expect that to be the case before folks accuse me of being overly pessimistic.

Recruitment is the key.

Her preferred style is risky even with great shooters and quick players...like McGuff on steroids. An off-shooting night, and you better pray for a really ugly contest.

You have to have the players. The strategy that dominated the Sun Belt produced a 40+ point loss against a Kitley-less Va Tech who didn't make the Sweet Sixteen.

And consider this: Despite forcing an astounding 39 turnovers against James Madison in the conference title game, Marshall still had to go to overtime to win.

It'll catch some teams off guard, just as Oakland:s junk defense and hot shooting surprised Kentucky. But is it sustainable over the long haul, or is it a gimmick that needs to be adaptable to maintain success against skilled teams that don't rattle easily?

At least her team ought to be well-prepared when facing OSU and other trapping teams.

i don't think DW fires a LV national champion and then keeps a coach who misses the tourney. The words of the contract are very telling. And the amount of her buyout and terms of buyout are also air tight. i agree that firing a coach after one year is rare, but this situation is rare. Ha.

Yall got a star in the making with Kim Caldwell… followed her since her Glenville days.. Happy for her and you all
Looks like we have a Heupel kind of coach leading our Lady Vols!

She gave her team a gameplan to be competitive 82 possessions to 67 for Va Tech. When your team only shoots 24 percent not much you can do about that happening. Cause 82 possessions to only score 49 points was just terrible shooting and sometimes what you get when a mid-major meets a power five.
MTSU disagrees

She kind of was, though. Look at the product on the court. On offense , it's the same, predictable eithr dump it inside or hand to the star player (Ricandace Holdschingsimmons) and let her get to work while everyone else stands around and watches. Then crash the boards and fling the ball hopelessly at the hoop until you get a 2nd/3rd/4th chance bucket or fouled in the process. On defense, they always tried to use the same man defense which often failed because they didn't recruit the personnel for it, and when they went zone everyone looked uncomfortable and usually someone misses their assignment. With her brand new system, I agree that the first step will be making sure that they have the personnel for it, but in the event that she doesn't (and this is the biggest critique of Holly and Kellie), then don't try to force them into a system that just doesn't suit them. Case in point is how Dawn completely retooled her offense this year based on the players she has now, not the ones she had the last 4 years.

Finally, in spite of X's and O's flaws, Pat's greatest strength was how she could motivate her players; less so for Holly and Kellie because, understandably, they aren't Pat. You can try the same speeches and the same mannerisms, but doing so just makes you a tribute act that isn't nearly as effective as the real deal.
Holly had no choice but to be Pat v.2, she had been that since her teens. It was all she knew. But Kellie tried so hard not to be, emphasized it from her first day. Always reminded that she was 20 yrs and 3 jobs removed from those days, even though Pat would always be the foundation. Literally roled her eyes each of the 10,000 times Maria brought it up. It's why Kellie never tried to mimic Par, and of course got roasted for it. But in the end, no matter how hard she tried,the legacy wouldn't let go of Kellie, Which makes a good case for why it was time to finally break with the Pat tree.

Definitely a "feature" of the Pat coaching tree is the bad offense you described. I think Kellie knew that and like Pat, wanted to adapt, but didn't have the coaching skills nor the players to pull it off.

She misses the tournament first 2 years she's gone. She needs high level assistants that can recruit. I'm not doubting her coaching, but recruiting is the life blood of a program.
Not a snowballs chance in hell she will miss the tournament. I;m betting at least sweet 16 in year 1.

Reactions: VolFuture
Not a snowballs chance in hell she will miss the tournament. I;m betting at least sweet 16 in year 1.
She better start recruiting the portal quickly for some Elite players. I'm not saying she'll miss the tournament, but she don't have the players on her roster to make as of today . Time will tell, hope she gets her staff together and gets after it in the portal and HS kids.

I’m going to be positive and wait to have a final opinion after I see what her staff looks like. If they pull together 2 other assts with good resumes, it will be a very good start. Then I’ll wait to see who we pull out of the transfer portal. If our money is up like we’ve been promised and this style is such an attraction to high level recruits as we’ve been told, then I see no reason that we shouldn’t be able to pull in some good ones with as loaded as it is. Doing both of those things should put us on a good trajectory.

VN Store

Back