Chat GPT: How Are You Using It?

Derrick Thompson's got a pod on current events that's pretty good, and he made a really interesting point about the future progress of AI. He says there is so much litigation in the works against ChatGPT that it likely becomes cost-prohibitive to progress developing the tech for anybody other than the giant companies.

So we got all these artists, authors, writers, journalists, etc. mad about ChatGPT and suing them. It's very possible it makes things worse for everybody.

Reactions: VolTull
Derrick Thompson's got a pod on current events that's pretty good, and he made a really interesting point about the future progress of AI. He says there is so much litigation in the works against ChatGPT that it likely becomes cost-prohibitive to progress developing the tech for anybody other than the giant companies.

So we got all these artists, authors, writers, journalists, etc. mad about ChatGPT and suing them. It's very possible it makes things worse for everybody.
Is this the first time you've thought this?

Care to explain?

You just seem like you're trolling. It's a weird question to ask. IDK what takeaway you'd get other than to put it out there that I should have obviously had this thought already. But the question presumes I knew there was possibly prohibitive litigation going on, which I wasn't aware of. Maybe you were aware of that concern and you've spent hours in your big front room chair pondering the universe to come from it, but I just learned about this litigious AI reality minutes before posting.

You just seem like you're trolling. It's a weird question to ask. IDK what takeaway you'd get other than to put it out there that I should have obviously had this thought already. But the question presumes I knew there was possibly prohibitive litigation going on, which I wasn't aware of. Maybe you were aware of that concern and you've spent hours in your big front room chair pondering the universe to come from it, but I just learned about this litigious AI reality minutes before posting.
You're a weird dude.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I'd hope so. I thought you were talking about the dangers of AI in the previous bold. I see now your comment seems to be related to the lawsuits.

I could have asked you to rephrase the question in a less abrasive manner. 😬

Ha! All good, I also see I could have been much more clear in my question....

To answer what you were asking, more or less, I have concerns about AI, but by nature, I'm not somebody who really fears new technology. It seems like almost all tech throughout history has been good on the net. Even nuclear weapons seem to have created more peace in the world. So I'm mostly excited about AI despite the fact that I know there will be growing pains, and that also it can go sideways in very bad ways.

To answer what you were asking, more or less, I have concerns about AI, but by nature, I'm not somebody who really fears new technology. It seems like almost all tech throughout history has been good on the net. Even nuclear weapons seem to have created more peace in the world. So I'm mostly excited about AI despite the fact that I know there will be growing pains, and that also it can go sideways in very bad ways.
I envision two types of AI developing. The first is non-sentient the second is sentient. If we attempt to rig the sentient AI into a non-sentient mode, we will screw ourselves. Just let it evolve.

The latter is how many ETs operate their sentient craft.

I gotta get more clever about how I use this technology. It's amazing. So far....

- I've been using it to write ad copy
- I used it to write a living will
- I used it to diagnose weird rib pain. *
- my brother-in-law used it to give him instructions for tearing down his engine in his Scout.

What are you guys using it for?

*My doctor said it was probably a muscle pull after eliminating other things. I didn't ask all the right questions in the moment, but with hindsight I was wondering why it doesn't hurt to cough or twist. I tried to Google all kinds of things, and just got scary BS back. I had a convo with Chat GPT and it gave me 4 explanations of what it could be, and this is what it told me:

If you're experiencing rib pain specifically around the area of ribs 10 to 12, and it occurs at random times but doesn't worsen with coughing or stretching, it could be attributed to several potential causes, including:
  1. Rib subluxation: This refers to a partial dislocation of the rib joint where the rib connects to the spine. Rib subluxation can cause localized pain that may occur randomly, and the absence of pain during coughing or stretching is not uncommon.
  2. Intercostal muscle strain: The intercostal muscles are located between the ribs, and strain or injury to these muscles can result in pain. This type of pain can manifest at various times and may not necessarily worsen with coughing or stretching.
  3. Nerve irritation: As mentioned earlier, irritation or compression of the nerves near the ribs, such as intercostal neuralgia, can cause pain. This pain can be intermittent and may not be triggered by coughing or stretching.
  4. Costovertebral joint dysfunction: The costovertebral joints are the joints where the ribs attach to the vertebrae in the spine. Dysfunction in these joints can lead to pain in the corresponding area. The pain may be sporadic and not necessarily exacerbated by coughing or stretching.
Since I am not a medical professional, I strongly recommend consulting with a healthcare provider for a proper evaluation and diagnosis. They can perform a thorough examination, review your medical history, and order any necessary tests or imaging studies to determine the underlying cause of your symptoms and recommend appropriate treatment.

It's definitely 2 or 3 because it's not near my spine, and I'm relieved that it didn't give me any of the scary options that Google was throwing out there.
someone used it to write 50% of a sql query they sent me and asked me to get working. I had to rewrite/cleanup the query but was surprised it did a halfway decent job of writing something I could understand

Reactions: n_huffhines
I am using to write APIs and cut down on dev costs. There needs to be a bit of QA on it, but it does most of the legwork.
I have a project to be written by my coder in .NET. It's a workflow-style tracing and pushing paperwork via email.

Any suggestions regarding the use of ChatGTP? TIA.

Use it daily for coding. While it's a great tool to point you in the right direction it tends to be behind several versions with new dev stacks. Decided to learn NextJS and it's constantly showing me ways to do things in their old page vs app router setup. Still.. it's a priceless tool for me.

Reactions: Freedom
Use it daily for coding. While it's a great tool to point you in the right direction it tends to be behind several versions with new dev stacks. Decided to learn NextJS and it's constantly showing me ways to do things in their old page vs app router setup. Still.. it's a priceless tool for me.

Next is cool.

VN Store

Back