Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I wonder why Kellie is there? Curious if this means that she's interviewing for coaching jobs for next season.

Kellie has been part of USA basketball for a few years. She had these commitments already outside of her UT job. She’s there coaching and representing herself which is great.

Actually glad CKC isn’t doing any of this at the moment. As you notice, last week was a big tourney week and our coaches were on the recruiting trail.

Previously our coaches would have been at USA basketball coaching a bunch of kids we had no chance at recruiting.

Last edited:
Should we refer to Tennessee as UTjr? I mean Texas is the big UT is it not? This USCjr stuff is dumb. We will gladly be called South Carolina. Thanks.
Tennessee is the only UT, especially since we were a University before Texas(UTjr) was a state. He'll that'd be in Mexico if it wasn't for the Volunteer state. You'll always be USCjr, no matter how many women's championships you win. Now if you win a men's championship in the Big 3 , then and only then will I call Southern Cal(UTjr). If you don't like that ; take you A$$ to the USCjr board and get off ourd.

Kellie has been part of USA basketball for a few years. She had these commitments already outside of her UT job. She’s there coaching and representing herself which is great.

Actually glad CKC isn’t doing any of this at the moment. As you notice, last week was a big tourney week and our coaches were on the recruiting trail.

Previously our coaches would have been at USA basketball coaching a bunch of kids we had no chance at recruiting.
Gotta disagree there. Anytime your coach is a part of USA basketball it is a positive. Shows you are a premier program. You get a chance to establish relationships with top kids.
Also, Nyla and Finley are part of USA basketball I believe so yes, we did and can recruit those kids.
Hopefully CKC will get an opportunity to be a part of USA basketball soon.

Gotta disagree there. Anytime your coach is a part of USA basketball it is a positive. Shows you are a premier program. You get a chance to establish relationships with top kids.
Also, Nyla and Finley are part of USA basketball I believe so yes, we did and can recruit those kids.
Hopefully CKC will get an opportunity to be a part of USA basketball soon.

I think USA basketball is a joke and I could care less if any of our coaches ever participate again.

I also do not care whether it had any impact on Brooks or Chastain. The new staff are already proving they can and will recruit better.

If those two want to be part of it, great, come on, if not, their loss.

Nyla would definitely be a nice player for CKC and I do hope she comes to UT. Very dynamic player.

So far Chastain looks really one dimensional. Very good shooter with great percentage from 3 but that’s about all there is to her game. Reminds me a little of Pissott. Chastain is going to need to add to her game or she’ll drop significantly in the 2027 rankings. Right now she’s a really good set shooter from 3 and an OK passer. Reminds me of King from Virginia Tech tbh.

For some of us the Team USA squads are still a source of national pride (from all sports, not just WBB), so I care about them unlike some here. It’s an amazing lifetime opportunity and honor for the athletes to represent their country and there is really nothing negative to say about these national teams. Have some pride in the Red, White and Blue everyone and put away any petty grievances.

For some of us the Team USA squads are still a source of national pride (from all sports, not just WBB), so I care about them unlike some here. It’s an amazing lifetime opportunity and honor for the athletes to represent their country and there is really nothing negative to say about these national teams. Have some pride in the Red, White and Blue everyone and put away any petty grievances.

Ok, check back when they leave A’Ja off the Olympic Team in favor of a 40 year old Tina Charles.

Reactions: lvocd
Ok, check back when they leave A’Ja off the Olympic Team in favor of a 40 year old Tina Charles.
Not gonna happen. And for those that want Taurasei (I know spelling is wrong) off the team, it’s up to a younger player to out play her. She is not a token player yet, believe she is still amongst the leagues statistical leaders even at age 41, more power to her if she can play like that at her age. I think she is top 3-4 in the WNBA in scoring this season already and tbh until she shows decline why would you leave her off If she is still playing at an elite level?

The picking of the team is a political. Has been for some time now. I'll take a hard pass on Team USA.

Reactions: VolBall09
Not gonna happen. And for those that want Taurasei (I know spelling is wrong) off the team, it’s up to a younger player to out play her. She is not a token player yet, believe she is still amongst the leagues statistical leaders even at age 41, more power to her if she can play like that at her age. I think she is top 3-4 in the WNBA in scoring this season already and tbh until she shows decline why would you leave her off If she is still playing at an elite level?
I agree Taurasi is still one of the best shooters in women's basketball, not as fast as she once was but she is crafty. I would take her any day on any team. She is still, at 41, one of the best women’s basketball players.

Because she has already experienced the Olympics FIVE FREAKING TIMES already and is about to experience her sixth? Couldn’t that be a good reason?
No it is not a good reason, the team should be built on players playing at the highest level. You can argue past discrepancies about who you wanted or would have chosen, but coaches build their teams based upon many factors and tbh, there are not many that are playing at the level DT is still playing at. So whether it’s her age or the number of times she has donned the USA jersey that bothers you most, she is still elite, she is not a token player, given the roster spot because of her past accomplishments, she is still one of the best. We should salute a 41 year old who is so dedicated she can still be one of the best. I’m no Uconn fan, but I know greatness when I see it, and she is still a great player and one of the best USA WBB players currently.

Last edited:
No it is not a good reason, the team should be built on players playing at the highest level. You can argue past discrepancies about who you wanted or would have chosen, but coaches build their teams based upon many factors and tbh, there are not many that are playing at the level DT is still playing at. So whether it’s her age or the number of times she has donned the USA jersey that bothers you most, she is still elite, she is not a token player, given the roster spot because of her past accomplishments, she is still one of the best. We should salute a 41 year old who is so dedicated she can still be one of the best. I’m no Uconn fan, but I know greatness when I see it, and she is still a great player and one of the best USA WBB players currently.
Well first off I doubt she is one of the top 15. There are younger players who will be able to perform better over a lengthy tournament and secondly LV fans know that the best players are not always selected. Doesn’t make it right (Geno) but that is still our country’s team.

Well first off I doubt she is one of the top 15. There are younger players who will be able to perform better over a lengthy tournament and secondly LV fans know that the best players are not always selected. Doesn’t make it right (Geno) but that is still our country’s team.
Lucy, her stats say she is still one of the top 10 or so players in the WNBA. I agree with you on Team USA, it’s our country’s team.

VN Store

Back