QB U?

Pretty impressive

Not to devalue this claim, but we need one to make a mark to really justify being a QB factory. No school really has a claim to it because QB1 is the toughest job in all major professional sports, IMO. Goalies would be the closest. Hooker is the best bet being in a position to develop and learn. Dobbs has finally reached the ultimate goal. Being a seasoned backup for the best team in the league

Reactions: TrueOrange
Let's see:
Dewey Warren
Bobby Scott
Heath Shuler
Peyton Manning
Erik Ainge
Tyler Bray
Josh Dobbs
Hendon Hooker
Joe Milton

Who are the 6 I've missed?

Let's see:
Dewey Warren
Bobby Scott
Heath Shuler
Peyton Manning
Erik Ainge
Tyler Bray
Josh Dobbs
Hendon Hooker
Joe Milton

Who are the 6 I've missed?
I found 16

yearroundpickoverallteamname
1940​
1​
1​
1​
CardinalsGeorge Cafego
1944​
15​
7​
149​
RedskinsJim Gaffney
1968​
6​
17​
155​
BengalsWarren Dewey
1971​
14​
2​
340​
SaintsBobby Scott
1974​
10​
26​
260​
DolphinsGary Valbuena
1978​
11​
3​
281​
JetsPat Ryan
1989​
6​
1​
140​
RaidersJeff Francis
1994​
1​
3​
3​
RedskinsHeath Shuler
1995​
6​
20​
191​
PanthersJerry Colquitt
1998​
1​
1​
1​
ColtsPeyton Manning
2000​
5​
34​
163​
SteelersTee Martin
2008​
5​
29​
162​
JetsErik Ainge
2010​
5​
37​
168​
ChargersJonathan Crompton
2017​
4​
29​
135​
SteelersJoshua Dobbs
2023​
3​
5​
68​
LionsHendon Hooker
2024​
6​
17​
193​
PatriotsJoe Milton

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
It kills me to say something nice about the Gumps, but Star, Stabler, and Namath is a pretty good combination. There was another one for the jets that I have forgotten and of course Tua, Hurts, and Jones in the present.

This is the list of former Vols with more than 100 pass attempts in the NFL. I'm sure it's similar at most top schools. Also worth noting that Tony Robinson has more pass attempts (18) in the NFL than Tee Martin (16).
1000007633.png

This is the list of former Vols with more than 100 pass attempts in the NFL. I'm sure it's similar at most top schools. Also worth noting that Tony Robinson has more pass attempts (18) in the NFL than Tee Martin (16).
View attachment 637720
In short, we have no business attempting to claim QBU.

It kills me to say something nice about the Gumps, but Star, Stabler, and Namath is a pretty good combination. There was another one for the jets that I have forgotten and of course Tua, Hurts, and Jones in the present.
Richard Todd

Reactions: VAVol85
now that it's legal you won't see that again

Not to be the a-hole name dropper but I have gotten to know Eric Ainge pretty well. He works at Loudon County Fence and would probably be very happy to help you with your fencing needs. (free plug for a VFL). His substance abuse is well known and public. If you can watch his ESPN documentary where he opens up about it I would recommend. Anyway, it is sad he got so addicted to opioids at UT. In all fairness I was practicing medicine during that time and we were trained that pain was the 5th vital sign and it was our job to treat everyone's pain. The Oxcycontin reps were promising us it was non-addictive. So I don't think it was intentional but he has told me he does not remember a lot of those games he was so jacked up on pills. I wonder how great he could have been if that were not the case.

In short, we have no business attempting to claim QBU.
No business YET you mean. The pipeline is PRIMED I tell you.
And there is not a better Coach in America in terms of developing QBs that’s Heupel He has gotten two transfer QBs in a row drafted. Cant wait to see what he does with a QB he has had from freshman status like he has with Nico

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Richard Todd, who was really a bust. Good arm but not so smart. I dated a cheerleader from his High school. Davidson.

depends on how you define impressive. Of that 15 only 2 have made any contribution to a team as a starter Manning and Dobbs.
You can't mention Dobbs as a starter in the manner in which you mention Manning. Pat Ryan would be the closest

Any team that starts Jarrett Guarantano for four years cannot be considered QBU.

You can't mention Dobbs as a starter in the manner in which you mention Manning. Pat Ryan would be the closest
Its not about comparing him to Manning its comparing him to all the others. You are correct that Shuler and Ryan have more stats but Dobbs is still active and young. Statistically there is no comparison between him and Shuler/Ryan. They both have more starts than him because thats their full careers. Dobbs still has plenty of time left. Shuler was one of my favorite QBs and i hate what the redskins did to him. But Dobbs is a better NFL qb than anyone outside of Peyton so far and its not close.

Last edited:
Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Just because your brain thinks it, that doesn't mean your mouth's gotta say it, or your fingers type it.

Best fans are those who don't denigrate their own program. Even if, "well, it's true."

Go Vols!
Thanks for your keen insight. I’m probably the only one who’s ever said anything negative on here. I’ll try to do better.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back