Terrible, horrific product

It's up to Barnes to call 3 seconds to the attention of the officials--and maybe he did, don't know. We don't see 3 seconds called much at all anymore--it's almost like officials have stopped calling it, period.
He gave them down the road about their issues and it fell on sensitive ears.

Reactions: 08Vol
They didn't get the calls right for either team, so far as I could tell. Edey definitely could have been called for more fouls, but I thought some of the ones he did get called for weren't actually fouls. So there wasn't any incentive for him to change his behavior, because he seemingly getting called at random. The same thing is really true for everybody else as well -- the refs needed to set a consistent standard for contact, but with the calls being seemingly random there was no point in adjusting their behavior to account for the calls.

I saw this on my tv with a beer in my hand while talking on the phone and scrolling through X! How can you miss this?!??

Agreed! Still not as bad as this charge call a couple years ago though. Whistle blown . . . arm up . . . call made. Bit premature? . . . only if you have eyes, ears, and a directive 🤪. Incompetence or something else? How do you see something so clearly before it happens?

IMG_0239.png

Great save Purdue! Just when you thought you knocked it out of bounds, you make an illusionary save and push it up the court and score!

View attachment 597266
Not only this, but a Purdue player was clearly on the line when inbounding the ball in the second half. Even if some fouls are bang-bang, these calls are officiating 101. Not difficult.

It's up to Barnes to call 3 seconds to the attention of the officials--and maybe he did, don't know. We don't see 3 seconds called much at all anymore--it's almost like officials have stopped calling it, period.
Pretty sure this is what his Tech was about…

Not only this, but a Purdue player was clearly on the line when inbounding the ball in the second half. Even if some fouls are bang-bang, these calls are officiating 101. Not difficult.
Absolutely and they score 3 points on this possession. He was obviously on the line and ref was right there! What are they watching for ???

Solid take. It's almost like Purdue was the #2 team in the country.
Shouldn't matter. You hold them to a terrible offensive game in the first half and can't take a commanding lead because your own offense is cold, just like every year it seems. It's getting old. Great D. Super inconsistent O.

Shouldn't matter. You hold them to a terrible offensive game in the first half and can't take a commanding lead because your own offense is cold, just like every year it seems. It's getting old.
So it doesn't matter that your opponent is a top-5 team with a top-5 KenPom defense?

Incredible logic.takealap.gif

So it doesn't matter that your opponent is a top-5 team with a top-5 KenPom defense?

Incredible logic.View attachment 597268
Tennessee missed wide open shots all game. It seems like whenever they play great defensively in big games like this, they have a bad offensive night and don't take advantage. It's always their offense that costs them and it seems to happen way too often.

Reactions: LibertyVol
I’m not talking about the basketball team. I’m talking about the dreadful, embarrassing, incompetent bozos that are called officials.

How has this continued? How daft is the NCAA that this once great product, an American staple of sports and entertainment, has now become unwatchable because of shoddy, blowhard officials who can barely get up and down the court and have the vision of a bat?

They’ve ruined the sport. There are other issues. I get it. But I watched this game and wasn’t entertained. I didn’t enjoy this. I didn’t think “wow what a fun game between two potential Final Four teams”. No. I had to watch 78 FREE THROWS IN A 40 MINUTE GAME and watch these morons call everything under the sun. This isn’t even anything against Purdue. I don’t think this was rigged. Referees are this idiotic and greedy and selfish that they want to ruin a once fun product. And the impotent NCAA, while TV ratings plummet, sits idly by and lets this injustice happen.

College basketball is ruined.

That was a typical Big Ten type game which will benefit Tennessee when the NCAA Tournament comes around.

Reactions: DonDiego
Tennessee missed wide open shots all game. It seems like whenever they play great defensively in big games like this, they have a bad offensive night and don't take advantage. It's always their offense that costs them and it seems to happen way too often.
How about go cheer for your second favorite team. I'm sure the Vols will be fine at the end of the year, and they're not really lacking for fans like you. Lots of bandwagon fans who'll really be on the bandwagon if they make an end of the year run. Sure we'll see you there.

I had to check the box score to see if any fouls were called on me. I mean, I began to wonder….

Don't think so but you're about to get a tech if you keep making posts like this one.

Purdue missed wide open shots too. It happens when you take 78 free throws

Reactions: zjcvols
I’m not talking about the basketball team. I’m talking about the dreadful, embarrassing, incompetent bozos that are called officials.

How has this continued? How daft is the NCAA that this once great product, an American staple of sports and entertainment, has now become unwatchable because of shoddy, blowhard officials who can barely get up and down the court and have the vision of a bat?

They’ve ruined the sport. There are other issues. I get it. But I watched this game and wasn’t entertained. I didn’t enjoy this. I didn’t think “wow what a fun game between two potential Final Four teams”. No. I had to watch 78 FREE THROWS IN A 40 MINUTE GAME and watch these morons call everything under the sun. This isn’t even anything against Purdue. I don’t think this was rigged. Referees are this idiotic and greedy and selfish that they want to ruin a once fun product. And the impotent NCAA, while TV ratings plummet, sits idly by and lets this injustice happen.

College basketball is ruined.
They made 8 more and took 18 more ft than us. Cost us the game

I never thought about it being one sided, just inconsistent...

But the fact Purdue shot the last 19 free throws should be concerning. I get some were forced fouls to stop the clock, but 19 to 0?

That doesn't excuse our horrible shot selection at the end.
Jacking up wild threes doesn't get you to the free throw line but it doesn't explain why Purdue were given so many on the other end.

They didn't get the calls right for either team, so far as I could tell. Edey definitely could have been called for more fouls, but I thought some of the ones he did get called for weren't actually fouls. So there wasn't any incentive for him to change his behavior, because he seemingly getting called at random. The same thing is really true for everybody else as well -- the refs needed to set a consistent standard for contact, but with the calls being seemingly random there was no point in adjusting their behavior to account for the calls.
Edey was like everyone else in the game. Could have been called for 10 fouls but the ones they did call were made up trash.

Edey was like everyone else in the game. Could have been called for 10 fouls but the ones they did call were made up trash.
I understand the displeasure with officiating on Edey...but he is so big ever move looks like a foul .....

At last year's college baseball playoffs at UT the NCAA controlled the announcements during the game. One of the first was that refs/umps are exiting the profession 4X the rate of those coming in. So, there are fewer really good ones to choose from. It goes all the way down to travel ball, and I have heard often they are exiting the lower age groups because of parent conduct, etc.
Long post alert!! This is a great observation. My son plays club soccer and is in their Lower Academy (Upper Academy starts at 13). We have to do an online parent bahaviour course ever year and get regular reminders about sideline conduct as parents via email. This is a feeder Academy and the refs are legit. Not kids or volunteers. Major ref shortage in youth soccer, oftentimes games called without sideline refs who monitor offsides. They are leaving because of ridiculous parent behaviour. Not my opinion-a fact in our USYS online parent “training”. I can 💯 see this as a factor that could now be causing the poor officiating in older leagues. The same, I imagine, might also be true for other sports. My kid just doesn’t play them. Eventually, poor officiating leads to poor habits at the youth level, which leads to poor player development, and over time, a poorer game/product on the field/court. I’ve never seen parents act so foolishly aggressive for 8 year old sports. It wasn’t like that when I played youth sports as a kid.

VN Store

Back