The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

View attachment 637428
That tweet made me just search vitello’s name on Twitter just to see what is being said.

Perception of Tennessee baseball as a program is still that of having bottom tier facilities and resources. I’ve seen Miss St, Ole Miss and ironically Arkansas fans (when DVH retires) clamoring to hire him.

Miss St fans can’t fathom him saying no, the only fans that say no is simply because they don’t want him due to his antics.

Ole Miss fans are split. Some say he’ll never leave Tennessee, others say he’s waiting for the “big SEC job” like them to get out.

Arkansas fans are utterly convinced he’s waiting to take the Arkansas job when DVH retires. Essentially believing he’s a HC in waiting there while coaching another program.
Update: Texas fans have entered the “Hire Vitello” discourse.

Unsurprisingly, they also believe he would never say no to them. Texas, like LSU is one of the only teams that would scare me if they called. But that’s for the same reasons LSU scared me in 21. Unlimited tradition, money and resources.

Knowing a little more about Tony’s personality from then to now, though. I think his unwavering loyalty is primarily why he’d say no, as they could probably outspend us if they wanted. But also I think the prospect of being the guy who built a program that will surely eventually have facilities, streets or even the stadium named after him (if this trajectory continues) is more appealing than just being another in a long line of great coaches at Texas. Especially now that the program is built and he only has to maintain it from here.

VN Store

Back