The Official Alabama A&M @ Tennessee Game Thread (Tues. 4/9 6PM EST) (SECNET+)

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
Alabama A&M Bulldogs
(5-25) Overall (3-9) SWAC

1712524103773.jpeg
@
Tennessee Volunteers
(26-6) Overall (7-5) SEC
1712524246597.jpeg
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – No. 4/4 Tennessee and its scorching-hot bats return home to begin a stretch of five-straight games at Lindsey Nelson Stadium on Tuesday night when it hosts Alabama A&M at 6 p.m. The Vols are coming off a series win at Auburn in which they blasted 14 home runs, setting a program record for the most in an SEC weekend series.

BROADCAST INFO

Tuesday's game will be streamed on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app with Myan Patel (PxP) and Caylan Arnold (analyst) on the call.

Fans can also listen to John Wilkerson and Vince Ferrara call the action on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990). A free audio stream will also be available on UTSports.com, the Tennessee Athletics App and the Varsity App.

SERIES HISTORY

Overall: Tennessee leads, 4-0
in Knoxville: 4-0
in Huntsville: 0-0
at Neutral Sites: 0-0
Last Meeting: W, 23-1 in 7 Inn. (Feb. 22, 2023 in Knoxville)

In two meetings last season, UT posted a pair of run-rule victories and outscored Alabama A&M, 33-1.

NOTABLE

Midweek Dominance Under Vitello
Tennessee has been nearly automatic in midweek games under head coach Tony Vitello, posting a 72-10 record during his tenure, including a 62-6 record since the start of the 2019 season. The Vols are a perfect 8-0 in midweek contests this season with four of those wins coming by 10 or more runs.

Burke Breaks Home Run Record, But Chase is Still On
Junior slugger Blake Burke broke Luc Lipcius' career home run record with a solo blast in Saturday's win at Auburn, giving him 41 for his career. However, the race to be the Vols' all-time home run leader by season's end is still very much on as Chrisitan Moore sits just one long ball behind Burke after hitting three in last weekend's series, giving him a team-leading 13 on the season and 40 for his career.

Grand Slams Galore
The Big Orange blasted two more grand slams last weekend to increase their season total to nine through just 32 games, which is a new single-season program record, surpassing the previous mark of seven set in 1998. Eight different players have combined to hit the nine grand slams, with Cal Stark the only Vol to have two after blasting his second in Sunday's run-rule victory against Auburn.

OPPONENT SCOUT

Alabama A&M Bulldogs (5-25, 3-9 SWAC)
  • Head Coach: Elliott Jones (4th season)
  • 2023 Record: 14-34 (5-24 SWAC)
  • 2023 Postseason: N/A
  • Rankings: N/A
  • 2024 SWAC Preseason Poll: 5th
  • Preseason All-Conference Selections (2)
    • C Jared Tribett
    • 1B Blake Martin
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Batting Avg: Tristan Curless (.309)
    • Runs: Dre Amaral (17)
    • Hits: Tristan Curless (30)
    • Home Runs: Jesus Riera (3)
    • RBI: Tristan Curless (24)
    • Stolen Bases: Brycen Hammonds (9)
    • Wins: Five tied (1)
    • Saves: T. Curless & D. Hernandez (1)
    • ERA (min. 15 IP): Charlie Lazo (7.65)
    • WHIP (min. 15 IP): Anthony Mateo (1.84)
    • Innings Pitched: Anthony Mateo (44.2)
    • Strikeouts: Ryan Jones (20)

ON DECK

The Vols welcome defending national champion LSU to Lindsey Nelson Stadium for a weekend series on Rocky Top starting Friday night at 7:30 p.m. All three games will be televised with Friday's opener set to be broadcast on ESPNU.

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question (he chums the waters 🦈) but...

just wondering if there might be any consideration for starting Causey Tuesday as an opportunity for him to sharpen some things, and then audition a new pitcher for the starting role on Friday?

Do coaches at this level even think that way, or would they maintain the rotation until Russell returns, and then start the pitching shuffle?

This may be a dumb question (he chums the waters 🦈) but...

just wondering if there might be any consideration for starting Causey Tuesday as an opportunity for him to sharpen some things, and then audition a new pitcher for the starting role on Friday?

Do coaches at this level even think that way, or would they maintain the rotation until Russell returns, and then start the pitching shuffle?
I’m betting Causey is moved to the bullpen and will be very effective in that role.

Alabama A&M Bulldogs
(5-25) Overall (3-9) SWAC

View attachment 632678
@
Tennessee Volunteers
(26-6) Overall (7-5) SEC
View attachment 632680
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – No. 4/4 Tennessee and its scorching-hot bats return home to begin a stretch of five-straight games at Lindsey Nelson Stadium on Tuesday night when it hosts Alabama A&M at 6 p.m. The Vols are coming off a series win at Auburn in which they blasted 14 home runs, setting a program record for the most in an SEC weekend series.

BROADCAST INFO

Tuesday's game will be streamed on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app with Myan Patel (PxP) and Caylan Arnold (analyst) on the call.

Fans can also listen to John Wilkerson and Vince Ferrara call the action on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990). A free audio stream will also be available on UTSports.com, the Tennessee Athletics App and the Varsity App.

SERIES HISTORY

Overall: Tennessee leads, 4-0
in Knoxville: 4-0
in Huntsville: 0-0
at Neutral Sites: 0-0
Last Meeting: W, 23-1 in 7 Inn. (Feb. 22, 2023 in Knoxville)

In two meetings last season, UT posted a pair of run-rule victories and outscored Alabama A&M, 33-1.

NOTABLE

Midweek Dominance Under Vitello
Tennessee has been nearly automatic in midweek games under head coach Tony Vitello, posting a 72-10 record during his tenure, including a 62-6 record since the start of the 2019 season. The Vols are a perfect 8-0 in midweek contests this season with four of those wins coming by 10 or more runs.

Burke Breaks Home Run Record, But Chase is Still On
Junior slugger Blake Burke broke Luc Lipcius' career home run record with a solo blast in Saturday's win at Auburn, giving him 41 for his career. However, the race to be the Vols' all-time home run leader by season's end is still very much on as Chrisitan Moore sits just one long ball behind Burke after hitting three in last weekend's series, giving him a team-leading 13 on the season and 40 for his career.

Grand Slams Galore
The Big Orange blasted two more grand slams last weekend to increase their season total to nine through just 32 games, which is a new single-season program record, surpassing the previous mark of seven set in 1998. Eight different players have combined to hit the nine grand slams, with Cal Stark the only Vol to have two after blasting his second in Sunday's run-rule victory against Auburn.

OPPONENT SCOUT

Alabama A&M Bulldogs (5-25, 3-9 SWAC)
  • Head Coach: Elliott Jones (4th season)
  • 2023 Record: 14-34 (5-24 SWAC)
  • 2023 Postseason: N/A
  • Rankings: N/A
  • 2024 SWAC Preseason Poll: 5th
  • Preseason All-Conference Selections (2)
    • C Jared Tribett
    • 1B Blake Martin
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Batting Avg: Tristan Curless (.309)
    • Runs: Dre Amaral (17)
    • Hits: Tristan Curless (30)
    • Home Runs: Jesus Riera (3)
    • RBI: Tristan Curless (24)
    • Stolen Bases: Brycen Hammonds (9)
    • Wins: Five tied (1)
    • Saves: T. Curless & D. Hernandez (1)
    • ERA (min. 15 IP): Charlie Lazo (7.65)
    • WHIP (min. 15 IP): Anthony Mateo (1.84)
    • Innings Pitched: Anthony Mateo (44.2)
    • Strikeouts: Ryan Jones (20)

ON DECK

The Vols welcome defending national champion LSU to Lindsey Nelson Stadium for a weekend series on Rocky Top starting Friday night at 7:30 p.m. All three games will be televised with Friday's opener set to be broadcast on ESPNU.
Info updated

Reactions: MAD
Anybody know if the gravel lot behind the scoreboard on Todd Helton is a pay lot for midweek games?

Tia.

Did Frank pull Zander after 30 pitches on Sunday such that he can start on Friday night?

Oh dang! I'm posting Central Time data! Thanks for the correction.

So would a 1-hour delay to the start be an option tonight?
Given all the different weather sources I have and I'm looking at, I would say there is a batter than 80% chance of rain/showers the rest of the afternoon and on to midnight at my home in Estill Springs and at LNS. I have been surprised before the conditions they will play a baseball game in. The key is no severe/lightning expected. I will turn on SECN+ at 5:00 PM CT and hope for a game to watch. Mets at Braves at 6:20 PM CT is my back up plan. Go Vols!

That is mean Sam.

So, who are you starting on Friday nite?

Time to find a new role for AJ_C.
Well, if a Regional started this Friday I would go - Beam, Snead, and then "by committee". So why don't we start that now? Of course, hoping for Russell to make it back and be useful by May.

Given all the different weather sources I have and I'm looking at, I would say there is a batter than 80% chance of rain/showers the rest of the afternoon and on to midnight at my home in Estill Springs and at LNS. I have been surprised before the conditions they will play a baseball game in. The key is no severe/lightning expected. I will turn on SECN+ at 5:00 PM CT and hope for a game to watch. Mets at Braves at 6:20 PM CT is my back up plan. Go Vols!
Since the noon WU forecast, the percentages for rain each hour have increased, but the amounts of rain forecast each hour remain less than .01 inches (except for .01 inches from 8-9pm EDT). My best guess is they play.

If I had TV, maybe. As long as I finish my goals for the day on time, I'll be following it on the game thread, and maybe on the radio. But the thread is its own unique medium of entertainment, as you well know!

VN Store

Back