Awaka to the portal

I don't disagree, but it might be that things just don't work out in the portal the way we'd hope and a spot is available for Awaka to have a place on next years roster. Wouldn't be the worst thing, but if I'm being honest, I'd rather give the spot to a guy who's more productive and doesn't have the fouling issues.
I"m not crazy like these others who think he shouldn't be "welcomed back" after entering the portal, but there are quite a few other bigs I'd like to see us take a flyer on first because I think Awaka isn't good enough to start at the 5 and isn't a reliable scorer to start at the 4.

He's a good kid, but he sorta opened this avenue by going portaling.

I don't disagree, but it might be that things just don't work out in the portal the way we'd hope and a spot is available for Awaka to have a place on next years roster. Wouldn't be the worst thing, but if I'm being honest, I'd rather give the spot to a guy who's more productive and doesn't have the fouling issues.
Without researching the data, I’d guess there’s no more than a few bigs in the portal that are more productive per minute than Tobe. His minutes were limited by playing behind Aidoo along with the obvious fouling. But, he didn’t get 4+ fouls every game and could have played more if the opportunity had been there. Tobe is very bright and is still only 19 years old - clearly room for more improvement. He knows the culture and expectations also.

Reactions: FeelVol
I still don’t think you appreciate his contributions and improvements.

I agree he has improved. But in the face of losing scoring from DK, JJJ, and Aidoo supposedly, there is nothing that screams that Awaka can be a reliable scorer at the 4 and there definitely isn't anything that screams he can start at the 5 and matchup with other centers night in and out.

Awaka is a great individual and very nice. But this isn't personal. I would have zero issues with him being on the team if he didn't decide to the portal two step. But now that he made that choice and we are losing Aidoo, I think we need to look for other bigs in the portal that have higher upside, there are quite a few.

I"m not crazy like these others who think he shouldn't be "welcomed back" after entering the portal, but there are quite a few other bigs I'd like to see us take a flyer on first because I think Awaka isn't good enough to start at the 5 and isn't a reliable scorer to start at the 4.

I’m curious what big is in the portal that you’d like us to take a flyer on that you think will be better than Awaka? Because currently all of the elite bigs are either committed elsewhere, or not even considering us.

I agree he has improved. But in the face of losing scoring from DK, JJJ, and Aidoo supposedly, there is nothing that screams that Awaka can be a reliable scorer at the 4 and there definitely isn't anything that screams he can start at the 5 and matchup with other centers night in and out.

Awaka is a great individual and very nice. But this isn't personal. I would have zero issues with him being on the team if he didn't decide to the portal two step. But now that he made that choice and we are losing Aidoo, I think we need to look for other bigs in the portal that have higher upside, there are quite a few.
Everyone has their opinions and my opinion is that he does have the ability to be a starter at the 5 and be an effective scorer in the post. The way he improved his free throws last season over his freshman season makes me think he may also develop a face up jump shot from 12-17’ which would allow him to play the 4 if Barnes wanted to go big. I’ve been wrong before so we shall see if he does return.

I still don't think we are losing more than we gain by him staying on the roster. He is too small to play the 5 and can't score reliably to play the 4.
He’s proven he can both score & rebound effectively at the 5, what he’s not yet proven is that he can stay out of foul trouble enough to play 20-25 minutes. He’s a likely 10/10 guy if he can stay on the floor for ~25mpg, his 63.3 TS% would rank very well among big men.

He’s proven he can both score & rebound effectively at the 5, what he’s not yet proven is that he can stay out of foul trouble enough to play 20-25 minutes. He’s a likely 10/10 guy if he can stay on the floor for ~25mpg, his 63.3 TS% would rank very well among big men.

I would love to see us go with a bigger lineup and him play the 4. With how physical and aggressive Barnes likes his teams it’s surprising to me he always has a smaller lineup

I would love to see us go with a bigger lineup and him play the 4. With how physical and aggressive Barnes likes his teams it’s surprising to me he always has a smaller lineup

I think a “bigger lineup” is a thing of the past. Barnes is adapting to the pace of the new college game. You are unlikely to see a traditional two-big lineup on the floor often, except when the matchup dictates it.

Barnes roster utilization and construction from this year into next year seems to indicate he wants to run a more athletic guard-focused lineup that where 1-4 are a threat to score at all three levels. Playing Awaka at the 4 kind of makes that impossible.

And it’s the same question every year about our bigs.

“We need to get someone bigger”

We may win a lot of games with Awaka, but we aren’t winning a championship

It’s just not modern basketball…opposing teams have shooters at the 4 and asking Awaka to chase around a guy who’s similar in size to say JJJ but shoots 40% from 3 isn’t a fair task. Sure, on the opposite end of the court Awaka would have the advantage, but you’d have an opposing 5 also helping in the lane because Aidoo is out there as well clogging the lane because he’s no risk to shoot the ball from outside 10’.

And it’s the same question every year about our bigs.

“We need to get someone bigger”

We may win a lot of games with Awaka, but we aren’t winning a championship
Houston was the #1 team for much of the year and poised to be a F4 team prior to the unfortunate injury while playing a guy smaller than Awaka all year at the 5. I’m not saying I wouldn’t take/like a bigger post, but suggesting you have to have Edey or Clingman on your roster doesn’t seem totally accurate, or fair, those guys are pretty uncommon. Also, Estrella is gonna be judging 6’11” 250lbs by start of this next season, how much bigger of an option do we need?

Awaka is an elite rebounder, who also sees the offense reasonably well inside out. His offense is a bit shaded in the stats as he contributes a combination of putbacks, created shots, assists and free throws from being fouled. I’ve been pleased with his growth in all those areas. He needs to grow most in created shots, both in footwork, reading his defender, and learning to shoot with touch over a defender, and/or score through contact. He doesn’t have Grant’s feel for picking a move based on reading the defender nor the arc/touch, but he does have the fearlessness and hints of the athleticism and footwork. As he developed the spin move and his weak side hook, he started to score more. Hes also vastly improved his screens and rolling cleanly. ZZ caught him on the roll with a perfect pass several times at the end of the season. His hands have gotten better, and need to keep getting better. I see a lot of growth in his game, and believe he can be an important contributor. I agree with Mookie that him playing the 4 will be more of a changeup/matchup call, not the core lineup. He can be a very good 5, and a good complement to our other bigs.

Well...in his defense, he does have a pretty intense stare.

Swain said that Awaka might have to say he was hacked on X if he decides to come back.......what did he tweet??

Were if's and buts candy and nuts. At this point, I'd rather grab proven production rather than hope a guy can learn how to avoid fouling so much....in year THREE.
I am a fan of your character on the Vol show Cav, but I gotta say— a 6 8” guy who is that aggressive on the glass, blocks shots, and ties up balls is going to get fouls called. Rodman got a lot of fouls too. He will get better. Part of the problem is that his role is often coming in to be aggressive when Aidoo isn’t. He can definitely get to a better fouls per minute rate. He also isn’t going to play 36 minutes. All of this should be framed by saying, right now he isn’t back. He’s in a weird “show me” holding pattern. Usually these things resolve quickly or die on the vine. I want to hear he’s back, soon, or I’ll be betting against it. I currently don’t see any player we’re in on that I’d rather have in the role of playing 40-60% of the 5 minutes.

I am a fan of your character on the Vol show Cav, but I gotta say— a 6 8” guy who is that aggressive on the glass, blocks shots, and ties up balls is going to get fouls called. Rodman got a lot of fouls too. He will get better. Part of the problem is that his role is often coming in to be aggressive when Aidoo isn’t. He can definitely get to a better fouls per minute rate. He also isn’t going to play 36 minutes. All of this should be framed by saying, right now he isn’t back. He’s in a weird “show me” holding pattern. Usually these things resolve quickly or die on the vine. I want to hear he’s back, soon, or I’ll be betting against it. I currently don’t see any player we’re in on that I’d rather have in the role of playing 40-60% of the 5 minutes.

His biggest foul problems to me are the silly ones. He's especially prone to getting a frustration foul for instance, if he misses a close shot and doesn't get the rebound. He'll bump, and slap at the ball at times and get a foul 90 feet from the opposing basket.

I keep hearing from people that they want us to take a big man with proven production and can make an instant impact instead of keeping Awaka, but I haven’t seen anyone give me a realistic option of who we can get that would be better than Awaka.

I have not seen a single big man in the portal that we are pursuing or could realistically land that would be a definite upgrade. People also seem to be assuming that Awaka has already plateaued as a true Sophomore and can’t get any better? That just feels weird. Why can other bigs improve, but he is just a foul machine that will never amount to anything else? Almost feels like sour grapes that he even entered the portal.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be pursuing other guys, because it’s true that we need to operate under the assumption that he isn’t coming back. I’m just not sure that there is a clear upgrade at the 5 to plug and play that we can get. I’m not sure how many true starting-caliber centers are still in the portal.

Fair points, but the tin hat with me is very strong. I wonder if there might be a name or two not yet in the portal that may be in play with us? Players have until the end of April or am I mistaken? Then again the most plausible explanation is that we are holding Awaka at arms length until other, more coveted players make decisions. At least it seems plausible to this old head.

Reactions: Stoerner Fumbles
His biggest foul problems to me are the silly ones. He's especially prone to getting a frustration foul for instance, if he misses a close shot and doesn't get the rebound. He'll bump, and slap at the ball at times and get a foul 90 feet from the opposing basket.
He does do that. I guess the counter is just that players with fire often do. He can do better. I hope he comes back.

VN Store

Back