2025 Target List

We're a much better program--there is that. But home state ties can be hard to overcome.

Gates is young and is energizing that program. He’s selling to these kids the massive leap Mizzou made in Year 1 under him, which has been an effective pitch clearly. We might be the better program right now, but Mizzou is doing a nice job of selling the new direction of the program.

Mizzou is going to have a sophomore slump this year under Gates, but he is recruiting at a monstrous level right now. They’re going to be a problem once all those players get to campus and mature a bit.
If we’ve learned anything that doesn’t guarantee success, and in todays climate of college sports there is literally no guarantee of guys making it to campus or sticking around for more than a year. I’ll need to see more from him before anointing that program.

If we’ve learned anything that doesn’t guarantee success, and in todays climate of college sports there is literally no guarantee of guys making it to campus or sticking around for more than a year. I’ll need to see more from him before anointing that program.

I’m not anointing. Just pointing out it looks like they are trending in a direction of being a program with staying power under Gates. But you’re right. We’ll see what happens.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Basilio said we were getting this kid today and be sure to post it on the message boards. Just kidding. But he did say the staff feels like they have a 50/50 shot?

Missouri meltdown play be hilarious.

Feel like if this was a realistic commitment for us we'd have heard something from BTO or SF hinting as such.

Grundy County High School Jr 6-3 guard Sam Parson that I mentioned in an earlier post was visited this week by UT assistant Gregg Polinski. Maybe I spelled that right. He is from my home town and the son of a friend of mine.

Grundy County High School Jr 6-3 guard Sam Parson that I mentioned in an earlier post was visited this week by UT assistant Gregg Polinski. Maybe I spelled that right. He is from my home town and the son of a friend of mine.
I wonder if they play Franklin County?

Anyone?

Tennessee basketball is set to host 2025 four-star small forward Shon Abaev on an official visit on January 20, according to On3 Senior National Recruiting Analyst Jamie Shaw. The 6-foot-7, 185-pound Abaev is a consensus top-100 prospect in the rankings.

In the On3 Industry Ranking, Abaev is ranked No. 52 overall in the 2025 class. He’s the No. 14 small forward nationally and ranked No. 6 overall in the state of Florida, where he attends Calvary Christian in Clearwater.

“They have a great coaching staff,” Abaev told Shaw in an interview updating his recruitment. “They love their players, it is like a family over there. Their coaches always check in on me and they treat me well. I like the way they play. This season they are playing a fast style, giving freedom to their shot-makers.”

Tennessee assistant coach Gregg Polinksy is the primary recruiter for Abaev.

“Our relationship isn’t really even like coach and player right now,” Abaev said of his communication with the Vols, “it’s more like a mentor. At this point, we already have gotten to the point where if I ever have anything I need to ask, I can just call and we can talk.”

Abaev told Shaw that Illinois, LSU and UCF are other possible visit destinations and that he’s also hearing from Virginia Tech, Virginia and Texas “and some blue bloods too.”

Abaev is ranked No. 60 overall in the On3 ratings, which has him as the No. 15 small forward and No. 7 in the Tate of Florida.

“I’m poised and calm,” Abaev told Shaw, breaking down his game. “I don’t let people rush me and I let the game come to me, but if my team needs me to score, I’m going to go get a bucket. I’m playing with a consistent motor this season and I’m focusing more on getting my teammates involved. I can see that has expanded my game, being a leader on the court.”

Some other 2025 names to know for the Vols are four-star shooting guard Amari Evans, four-star point guard Kingston Flemings and four-star power forward A’mare Bynum.

Abaev told Shaw he feels like he would be a natural fit in Tennessee’s style of play.

“I like to get in transition and to play fast,” he said, “get up and down the floor. But they can make it a half-court game, attack matchups, and I feel like I am good at that too.

Abaev also told Shaw that the obvious goal is to make it to the NBA and he is “going to look at whatever situation is the best case for me to make it to my end goal.”

“That has been my dream since I was a little kid,” Abaev said, “so I’m going to go to the situation that I think will get me there and get me prepared. I want to go somewhere that treats me like family. Not just on the court, but loves me as a human as well.

“I can adapt to any play style, I’ve always had to adjust my style and adapt to different situations. But mainly, I want to go somewhere that feels like home.”

Sounds promising

VN Store

Back