Barnes March Madness record at UT(the real one)

Savannahbayvol

18- 3 seed, lost to 11 seed Loyola

19- 2 seed, lost to 3 seed Purdue

21- 5 seed, lost to 12 seed Oregon State

22- 3 seed, lost to 11 seed Michigan

23- 4 lost to 9 seed FAU

Never beaten a higher seed, but OTOH I don't know if we have EVER beaten a higher seed in the Tournament.

18- 3 seed, lost to 11 seed Loyola

19- 2 seed, lost to 3 seed Purdue

21- 5 seed, lost to 12 seed Oregon State

22- 3 seed, lost to 11 seed Michigan

23- 4 lost to 9 seed FAU

Never beaten a higher seed, but OTOH I don't know if we have EVER beaten a higher seed in the Tournament.
Feel better?

To be fair, he's also never faced a higher seed. You have to go pretty deep in the tourney to face a higher seed when you, yourself, are a top-4 seed.

I understand that we all want him to get deeper in the tournament, but stats like these almost make it sound like people would rather do worse in the regular season, resulting in a lower NCAAT seed for ourselves so that we could more easily face a higher seed to wear a potential victory over said opponent like a badge of honor.

To be fair, he's also never faced a higher seed. You have to go pretty deep in the tourney to face a higher seed when you, yourself, are a top-4 seed.

I understand that we all want him to get deeper in the tournament, but stats like these almost make it sound like people would rather do worse in the regular season, resulting in a lower NCAAT seed for ourselves so that we could more easily face a higher seed to wear a potential victory over said opponent like a badge of honor.
Plus, last year, we beat Duke, who was a 5 seed. They had won 10 straight games and were the ACCT champions. Almost interchangeable seeds.

That's a pretty wild theory imo. I think a much more accurate take is that we were favored to win in all the tournament games that we ultimately lost, and that fact sucks. I certainly understand that expecting a 100% win rate in such games is completely unrealistic. It's hard for me to ignore/write off the fact that we've failed to beat inferior teams in all of our KO games; it's not like any of those teams were head and shoulders superior to us. I just want us to play up to our potential in the tournament. I truly believe Barnes would have at least one or two more tournament victories if we had.

What is crazy to me is the people who seem to love the guy and do not seem to want to ever achieve anything better. Outside of the failures in March, including two years where the bracket opened up for a real deep run (Loyola and FAU seasons)…the blind faithful then want to argue how regular season basketball is the true standard and March is so hard with weird venues and matchups yadda yadda yadda, yet Barnes has managed only a share of one regular season Sec title and never managed to win the Sec outright. This is with teams that have achieved the number 1 ranking, being paid a top 5 salary in basketball, and so on. One would expect either a final four run or multiple Sec outright crowns knowing this… then all his supporters could say well hey look we win the Sec all the time. Now moving to this year, we have the best team or what should be the best team in the Sec along with the best player in the conference again and we are staring at two sub par losses in the first half of our Sec schedule which is far easier than the second half of the schedule. So why should all of us so called naysayers be happy about the exact same results year after year when we never really achieve anything. Shouldn’t a coach paid the level Barnes is be held to an elite level and our basketball program be expected to rise accordingly. Outside of Kentucky nobody in the conference should be held to any standards higher than we are. Not being able to critique and criticize Barnes who was leaving us high and dry for UCLA is beyond me. Either friggen win the conference outright Ricky boy or make a final four. That is the standard we can achieve here and anything less is not good enough, especially for your deep pocketed behind. Now…is this team going to do either of those things and if they do not where do you stand? But do not sit there and argue with Vols fans who want and expect more. Complacency will ensure we never achieve what this basketball program should.

That's a pretty wild theory imo. I think a much more accurate take is that we were favored to win in all the tournament games that we ultimately lost, and that fact sucks. I certainly understand that expecting a 100% win rate in such games is completely unrealistic. It's hard for me to ignore/write off the fact that we've failed to beat inferior teams in all of our KO games; it's not like any of those teams were head and shoulders superior to us. I just want us to play up to our potential in the tournament. I truly believe Barnes would have at least one or two more tournament victories if we had.
We were underdogs against Duke last year. I know that wasn't your take. Just an observation

What is crazy to me is the people who seem to love the guy and do not seem to want to ever achieve anything better. Outside of the failures in March, including two years where the bracket opened up for a real deep run (Loyola and FAU seasons)…the blind faithful then want to argue how regular season basketball is the true standard and March is so hard with weird venues and matchups yadda yadda yadda, yet Barnes has managed only a share of one regular season Sec title and never managed to win the Sec outright. This is with teams that have achieved the number 1 ranking, being paid a top 5 salary in basketball, and so on. One would expect either a final four run or multiple Sec outright crowns knowing this… then all his supporters could say well hey look we win the Sec all the time. Now moving to this year, we have the best team or what should be the best team in the Sec along with the best player in the conference again and we are staring at two sub par losses in the first half of our Sec schedule which is far easier than the second half of the schedule. So why should all of us so called naysayers be happy about the exact same results year after year when we never really achieve anything. Shouldn’t a coach paid the level Barnes is be held to an elite level and our basketball program be expected to rise accordingly. Outside of Kentucky nobody in the conference should be held to any standards higher than we are. Not being able to critique and criticize Barnes who was leaving us high and dry for UCLA is beyond me. Either friggen win the conference outright Ricky boy or make a final four. That is the standard we can achieve here and anything less is not good enough, especially for your deep pocketed behind. Now…is this team going to do either of those things and if they do not where do you stand? But do not sit there and argue with Vols fans who want and expect more. Complacency will ensure we never achieve what this basketball program should.
Barnes has earned every penny he has been paid

Cry me a river.

Barnes has done nothing but represent the University with integrity & class.

Players love and respect him.

You’re just butt hurt.

You're using the word "complacency"completely out of context. Referring to Barnes as "Ricky boy" is immature pettiness at best

Cry me a river.

Barnes has done nothing but represent the University with integrity & class.

Players love and respect him.

You’re just butt hurt.
Yeah right, wr hire an unemployed 60 year old and he repays us by threatning to run off to UCLA first chance he gets. Thats real clads

Reactions: volpass
What’s so wild about it?

The earliest a 3 or 4-seed can face a higher seed is the S16. That is mathematically factual.

Losing to lesser teams to get to that point is an entirely different conversation and seemingly the point you’re trying to make. And I explicitly stated we’d all like to see us go further in the NCAAT to get that opportunity to beat a higher seed. So you’ll get no argument from me on that front.

But if people simply want to see us beat a higher seed for once, well if we are a top-4 seed ourselves, that will have to come in the S16 at the earliest, and that assumes chalk for the seeds above us. Even last year, we were playing the 9-seed FAU and not 1-seed Purdue. If we win that game, no one cares what they were seeded.

I’m just tired of these fantastical stats (like the one in question here) to try and further emphasize our failures in the postseason. It just seems like an attempt to reinvent the wheel of proving Barnes isn’t good in March. Clearly we have underachieved in some big spots and I’ve never shied away from that fact. I just don’t understand the notion that beating a higher seed is somehow a feather in our cap in an event so wildly dependent on more than just raw talent on paper.

If we were the 5-seed beating 4-seeded Duke, last year, instead of the other way around, does that change anything? Other than shedding this mythical statistical anomaly weighing us down, of course?

What’s so wild about it?

The earliest a 3 or 4-seed can face a higher seed is the S16. That is mathematically factual.

Losing to lesser teams to get to that point is an entirely different conversation and seemingly the point you’re trying to make. And I explicitly stated we’d all like to see us go further in the NCAAT to get that opportunity to beat a higher seed. So you’ll get no argument from me on that front.

But if people simply want to see us beat a higher seed for once, well if we are a top-4 seed ourselves, that will have to come in the S16 at the earliest, and that assumes chalk for the seeds above us. Even last year, we were playing the 9-seed FAU and not 1-seed Purdue. If we win that game, no one cares what they were seeded.

I’m just tired of these fantastical stats (like the one in question here) to try and further emphasize our failures in the postseason. It just seems like an attempt to reinvent the wheel of proving Barnes isn’t good in March. Clearly we have underachieved in some big spots and I’ve never shied away from that fact. I just don’t understand the notion that beating a higher seed is somehow a feather in our cap in an event so wildly dependent on more than just raw talent on paper.

If we were the 5-seed beating 4-seeded Duke, last year, instead of the other way around, does that change anything? Other than shedding this mythical statistical anomaly weighing us down, of course?
I should have specified that the scope of my argument is within Vegas betting odds and irrespective of seeding. That's why I would consider our win vs Duke an upset. Not capitalizing on good opportunities in the tournament is my one real gripe with Barnes, aforementioned Duke game being an exception to that idea. I get what you're saying though. I think it's a bit wild to suggest that anyone actually wants worse seeding in the scenario you're describing.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Boyd stepped in and gave Barnes a solid commitment from the Tennessee brass when Fulmer refused to retain Barnes after UCLA decided that they did not want to pay the $ 5 million dollar buyout and hired Cronin from Cincinnati.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
What’s so wild about it?

Just to.clarify our disappearing in March goes way back before RB got here.. In 77 we had 3 1st round draft picks and still couldnt win a game in the tourney.

Lose 1 game in January and the FAHR Barnes flock start cackling. These cacklers with probably had these whines already written for weeks after the first homes loss.
I’m going to laugh when the next guy has us back to begging for NIT bids every year and those people start posting how much they miss Barnes.

I’m going to laugh when the next guy has us back to begging for NIT bids every year and those people start posting how much they miss Barnes.
I doubt it. Once a Deacon hater, always a Deacon hater. Seems so many looked at Barne’s record at Austin and decided he wasn’t worthy, that he couldn’t get to the pinnacle.

Well, lemme tell ya. If you’ve won a championship, ya prolly ain’t available.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back