BCS System

RockyTop572

Speaker of truth.
This is not "another one of those" threads...yet. But I'm writing two papers and doing a presentation on the BCS system (Both Pro and Con) and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good articles or places to find good information.

As you can I'm sure imagine it's not too hard to find anti-BCS material but there's so much to sort through that I could use a little guidance. And then also I'm interested in any Pro-BCS arguments out there.

Thanks in advance!

Matt Hayes writes a column every year about "Why the BCS is better". He writes for Sporting News.

I couldn't find the articles I was talking about earlier, but Matt Hayes does one at the end of the season. They are usually pretty good.

It's all so simple. The powers that be (the current BCS schools and their presidents) don't want a true playoff system because it could disrupt the cash flow the Bowl system directs to them. Those structures don't wish to hear that the earth is not flat but is indeed round after all. What they can't see is their Bowls could still make truckloads of cash and still utilize a playoff format with their beloved sites being venues for a true National Championship game............

It's all so simple. The powers that be (the current BCS schools and their presidents) don't want a true playoff system because it could disrupt the cash flow the Bowl system directs to them. Those structures don't wish to hear that the earth is not flat but is indeed round after all. What they can't see is their Bowls could still make truckloads of cash and still utilize a playoff format with their beloved sites being venues for a true National Championship game............

The powers that be. Yep, you've got it all figured out.

I couldn't find the articles I was talking about earlier, but Matt Hayes does one at the end of the season. They are usually pretty good.
So, we're supposed to rely on your opinion to guide us into the future?

I know that. So what's your point?

The point is you make sweeping generalizations and act like it would be a simple task to install a playoff system, but some some group of rich old men are sitting in mansions preventing it from happening. That just isn't how it is. Quite a few people simply don't want playoffs. Even if they wanted it, there are quite a few complicating factors.

The point is you make sweeping generalizations and act like it would be a simple task to install a playoff system, but some some group of rich old men are sitting in mansions preventing it from happening. That just isn't how it is. Quite a few people simply don't want playoffs. Even if they wanted it, there are quite a few complicating factors.
Never said it would be simple. Quite a few people simply do want a playoff system. Maybe somebody should organize a vote ...

Wish it could be put to a vote. I would give you 2:1 odds you're full of it.

Yeah, there's obviously tremendous support for a playoff system. I guess that's why it hasn't happened after over 100 years of college football. I guess all these legions of playoff fans just need another century or two to get the ball rolling. It'll be here in no time.

No one that matters wants a change. The only people whining about playoffs are guys on the internet and guys at ESPN that have run out of other things to talk about.

Yeah, there's obviously tremendous support for a playoff system. I guess that's why it hasn't happened after over 100 years of college football. I guess all these legions of playoff fans just need another century or two to get the ball rolling. It'll be here in no time.

No one that matters wants a change. The only people whining about playoffs are guys on the internet and guys at ESPN that have run out of other things to talk about.
I'm finished with this argument on this board. At least you have defined your position as an elitist. I still maintain you're wrong regarding the general consensus. Night, night...

he's right though hman. There's a reason it hasn't even come close to changing in all these years.

I'm finished with this argument on this board. At least you have defined your position as an elitist. I still maintain you're wrong regarding the general consensus. Night, night...

Right. I've defined my position as a realist. Kirk Herbstreit and a bunch of kids on the internet aren't going to change anything. I never said that I mattered, either, so the elitist thing holds no water. Neither of us have any sayso in the matter. The guys that do have a influence, however, all seem to agree with me.

You should let the playoff dream die. It will never, ever, ever, ever happen. Trust me. There is a slim possibility of a +1 format. Anything involving more games than that is just a fantasy.

he's right though hman. There's a reason it hasn't even come close to changing in all these years.
Came close this year. Everybody that thinks the status quo will continue for over 5 years is deluding themselves.

Came close this year. Everybody that thinks the status quo will continue for over 5 years is deluding themselves.

Not any closer than any other time in the BCS era. ESPN is fooling you. It isn't happening. If you have a life expectancy equal to Methuselah's, you just might see it from your deathbed.

kptvol every time I started to respond to something hman said you had already explained it just as well. I think we are on the same page.

As for the vote I think that it would only be fair if you educated the people voting from each perspective and point of view. I'm trying to educate myself and others through my work. I'm not expecting to come to any clear cut conclusion or find a unique solution of my own...I'm just making an effort to explain the logic of what we have now and what revisions could/should be made.

I think that if you actually educate yourself and look deeper into it there actually is a legit argument for the BCS side. I'm not saying its a better argument, but there is a real opinion there. It is one that isn't the popular opinion right now though so it's not even looked at.

Again let me reiterate that I am not attempting to take sides at this point (though I eventually will), I'm just looking at both sides of the debate here.

VN Store

Back