I remember when they were "free"

I don't remember exactly how it worked, but I know I went to the games and I never had any money.

On a related note, how many of you still have your student ID? I'm sure I still have mine somewhere but I couldn't say where. I come across it every ten years or so when I'm cleaning up and reorganizing.
Still have mine from 1969.

If they were part of the fee then they weren't free. Still weren't guaranteed a ticket either
The activity fee was around $100/ semester when I was there. It covered all sports, plays, etc. on campus. I was there during the "Wade" years and you just needed your student ID to get into TBA for most games.... except UK.

I remember the student tickets becoming available on Tuesdays for that weekend’s game. We would go to the student book store to get them I believe. They were included in the student activities fee. And for some reason, I remember being able to get two tickets if I wanted. I might be wrong. One other thing, you had to pick up your tickets by the end of day Thursday. They would open up those tickets not picked up to the public.
Pretty sure we could get up to 8 together if you had everyone's activity card to get the punch

My first year as a student was the first year they charged students for tickets. I remember it went by seniority so since I went into university with more credits because of the AP courses in highschool, I was the one that bought tickets for my sister and I.

A lot of grumbling because of having to pay, but I didn’t mind the seniority of getting good seats. Eventually I was able to get seats on the front row.

Now what my dad loved was I could get guest tickets which were ALOT cheaper than regular tickets and in the student section with us. He had a lot of fun cheering with us like in his own college days.

Sucks I never got free tickets but the memories alone were worth the price

Not trying to age myself but I remember when the tickets were part of the student activity fees. Standing in line or camping out for certain games were part of the beauty of being a UT student.
It's all a business now...and it's not anything athletes, fans or alums even pay attention to. The kids aren't ballin, the kids going to the game miss the college experience and the players have no loyalty to the school..bigger pay day elsewhere..@half ass watches anymore..they have ruined it!

Reactions: turbovol
I remember when you could put air in your tires at a gas station for free. Don't be surprised if you have to pay to window-shop someday.
Yep. I remember when I made fun of bottled water. I was like “who is going to pay for water in a bottle?” Man I was an idiot or bottled water drinkers are idiots. Still not sure lol.

Yep. I remember when I made fun of bottled water. I was like “who is going to pay for water in a bottle?” Man I was an idiot or bottled water drinkers are idiots. Still not sure lol.
You're not an idiot, like the rest of us, you were naive to the corporate tactic of creating dependence on them for a basic necessity by poisoning our lakes, streams, and rivers. Thereby, forcing their way into your wallet.

Pretty sure we could get up to 8 together if you had everyone's activity card to get the punch
Only 4 for sec games and 8 for non-conf iirc. Then there was usually one game they would allow you to get a huge group sitting together

Reactions: SmokinBob
I remember when you could put air in your tires at a gas station for free. Don't be surprised if you have to pay to window-shop someday.
On the other hand, I remember when public toilets cost a dime!

"So, there I sat broken hearted, pay my dime and only farted." :(

This is ridiculous policy. As much as students pay to attend UT, they should have the opportunity to attend ANY sporting event free of charge. Any tickets that aren't picked up by a deadline could be released for purchase to the public. Activities fees were ******** and so is paying for individual tickets. Students should come FIRST, alumni second and public 3rd. Easy peazy. Of course... I'm sure the politicians within the admin will do their best to convolute a simple answer. It's what they do best.

On the other hand, I remember when public toilets cost a dime!

"So, there I sat broken hearted, pay my dime and only farted." :(
Must have been at a Greyhound or Trailways bus station. I recall at some hotels, and even some facilities at tourist location, including sites in Washington, D.C., some old guy sat in a chair in the restroom demanding payment ($1 or more) for you to piss, and even to wash your hands. Some even wanted to charge you for a towel to dry your hands after washing. I guess, the more things change, they don't stay the same, they just get worse. Be careful not to shart. 🥸

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Must have been at a Greyhound or Trailways bus station. I recall at some hotels, and even some facilities at tourist location, including sites in Washington, D.C., some old guy sat in a chair in the restroom demanding payment ($1 or more) for you to piss, and even to wash your hands. Some even wanted to charge you for a towel to dry your hands after washing. I guess, the more things change, they don't stay the same, they just get worse. Be careful not to shart. 🥸
Common practice in Germany. Was intended to pay the cost of upkeep on the facilities

Really feel sorry for students now. Attended UT in the early to mid 2000s and remember complaining that the student activity fee should be optional but enjoyed the opportunity of getting tickets. However now even with skyrocketing tuition students have to fork over more money.

At least it seems that basketball tickets are remaining free according to the article so there is that.
1715786601481.gif

Reactions: KptVFL
I remember going to get tickets and you could get up to 4 together as long as you had everyone's activity card to get punched and that they would just reach down and grab a bundle of 4 tickets with a rubber band around them and give you the entire bundle if you had 4 activity cards or take however many out of the bundle if you didn't. I don't recall them looking at the tickets when they grabbed them.

Best Tickets I got were for the Notre Dame game on roughly the 45 yard line back in the early 90's.

Reactions: SmokinBob
My son went to WCU where (most of the time) tuition was $500 tuition per semester. Somehow that added up to $28,000 dollars.

Man, this is bringing back great memories! I attending in 97 and 98 and tickets were free back then, but you had to camp out to get them. We camped for 2+ days for Florida 1998, which just made the game and the win all that much more special and meaningful. You had to have a gameplan for camping out with a few friends, so you could go to class and still keep your spot in line.
Sad that today's kids don't get to experience that part of college... :(

Attachments

• IMG_2876.jpg
    IMG_2876.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 12
I can too. One small perk of being in the Pride was we didn't have to camp out for the tickets. Always sat in the same spot every game, no matter who we were playing.
You have to let me know how those uniforms were during those September games, I have always wondered?? Looks miserable 😖

Reactions: KptVFL
Man, this is bringing back great memories! I attending in 97 and 98 and tickets were free back then, but you had to camp out to get them. We camped for 2+ days for Florida 1998, which just made the game and the win all that much more special and meaningful. You had to have a gameplan for camping out with a few friends, so you could go to class and still keep your spot in line.
Sad that today's kids don't get to experience that part of college... :(
I really hope that ticket stub is in my storage somewhere.

VN Store

Back