Kim Caldwell is the Future for LV's

Attendance was up last year,hopefully that trend continues this season.

LOL not at all a "rally against the hire". But your so predictable "nanny nanny boo boo they did to it too" answer is a rally against the last staff. There is no competition btw the two left in the real world; hope you guys who want to wrap the new staff in velveteen against any question can relax into that reality soon.
No wrapping in anything. Just calling out those parlaying against better competition and zig zagging to weave doubt before she coached her first game. Plant those seeds of doubt so you can harvest later to boast. You’re exciting the loyalist.

Actual fan opinions do matter. In my opinion, the majority fans wanted a change and now the majority fans are positively behind the new coach. Some on here just like to be miserable. It takes more muscles to frown than smile. Serenity prayer is a good one to read.
DW doesn’t hire or fire based off the fans opinions…. If he did…. He never would have hired Heupel or Caldwell bc most of the fanbase was against both hires. All fans and Boosters care about is winning….DW just didn’t think that CKH could get it done.

Reactions: Ratvol
Please wait a minute. I would like to know what you base your prediction on. You are being way too negative without anything to base your assumption on. I believe CKC will surprise you based on her prior successes. I think it is best to wait before you make bold predictions.
Kim will not be on the hot seat in two years, unless she does not show that she can recruit high school players, and that she can coach them to be much better than they were as freshmen.
Kim Caldwell was not signed, and she did not come here, to coach portal players. If she just follows the script of the last few years, she will fail and there won't be any difference as when Kellie was here. She is implementing a new system, different than what we have seen under Kellie. She needs to recruit young players that she can develop into her system and do this every year to create a "program", not a team of nomads that has to be replenished every year. True, the last few years the team starts ranked, but in the end, Dudsville. This year she has had to get from the portal as there was only half a team left, and recruiting for this coming year was basically over. Looking at the future portal is a scary scenario if that's what fans want, but I believe the true LV fans want what the other good teams want, high profile high school players. The last few years the freshmen classes have been fantastic, so at this point if Tennessee isn't getting involved with this they are just falling behind and will always be behind. I think Kim believes in this and she needs your support.

i think marshall likely choked a bit to be honest. the moment seemed too big for them. and frankly, given the talent difference, it was. i wouldn't read much into the box score. the variables are too different to matter much.
Thank you. This is exactly what I’ve thought every time I’ve read.a mention of that game.

Bad days and bad games happen, even to the best teams. Seemed to me the Marshall players were tight, and when they got punched in a way they weren’t used to being punched, the moment kept getting bigger and bigger.

It’s like the kids suddenly remembered none of them had ever been there before and then they played like it. It happens.

Now, most of our players this coming season will have experienced big games with huge crowds and lots of pressure. Hopefully they’ll handle the big moments well, but you never really know ‘cause like I said, mind-blowingly bad games just happen sometimes.

Kim and staff had to make Quick fixes with portal players and to start balancing out the classes right now because they had to correct the deficiencies that Sam and the staff created. Moving forward, I think you will only see 1 or 2 transfers per year. It’s safe to say that recruiting atleast 1 tp every year is the norm with todays basketball landscape. However, top teams only recruit 1 or none… they are not like ole miss, Alabama, LSU, and MS State and have rental kids every year.

Kim will not be on the hot seat in two years, unless she does not show that she can recruit high school players, and that she can coach them to be much better than they were as freshmen.
Kim Caldwell was not signed, and she did not come here, to coach portal players. If she just follows the script of the last few years, she will fail and there won't be any difference as when Kellie was here. She is implementing a new system, different than what we have seen under Kellie. She needs to recruit young players that she can develop into her system and do this every year to create a "program", not a team of nomads that has to be replenished every year. True, the last few years the team starts ranked, but in the end, Dudsville. This year she has had to get from the portal as there was only half a team left, and recruiting for this coming year was basically over. Looking at the future portal is a scary scenario if that's what fans want, but I believe the true LV fans want what the other good teams want, high profile high school players. The last few years the freshmen classes have been fantastic, so at this point if Tennessee isn't getting involved with this they are just falling behind and will always be behind. I think Kim believes in this and she needs your support.
The bottom line is winning and that is generally linked to recruiting. And recruiting now involves both high school players and the portal. For CKC, doing very will in the portal is a saving grace. With the exception of Samara, her portal recruits will have 2 to 3 years of eligibility. In today's world, that is a lot. You can sign a high ranked player, like Pissott or Cooper (in the case of SC) and they are gone after one season. That is the brave new world of college recruiting. A coach has to put together the best roster they can through all means available..

The portal and the HS pipeline are now both equally important.

Last edited:
Thank you. This is exactly what I’ve thought every time I’ve read.a mention of that game.

Bad days and bad games happen, even to the best teams. Seemed to me the Marshall players were tight, and when they got punched in a way they weren’t used to being punched, the moment kept getting bigger and bigger.

It’s like the kids suddenly remembered none of them had ever been there before and then they played like it. It happens.

Now, most of our players this coming season will have experienced big games with huge crowds and lots of pressure. Hopefully they’ll handle the big moments well, but you never really know ‘cause like I said, mind-blowingly bad games just happen sometimes.
well said. agree 100%. plus, CKC has always said, and many people overlook this, she will tweak her system as needed to be effective. it will look different depending on her players. it's all exciting stuff though.

Why did we take a washed up coach like Barnes? Heupel was the best we can do? Vitello doesn't fit, too arrogant. Now Kim Caldwell won't make it two years. Prophets y'all aint!

And some probably thought Dickey, Jones and Pruitt were good hires. There are those that will claim any new hire is the best hire until that is no longer true. Then there are some that will focus more on reality and wait until more is known.

If we had hired the other Kim (Mulkey) or Dawn, then yes blast off the fireworks. She needs to prove herself - had she had a deep run in the NCAA with Marshall, it would be different, but Marshall was blown out badly. It wasn't even competitive. That should be enough to temper the expectations.

For the record I am not a Kellie loyalist - whatever that is - just looking at this realistically.

And some probably thought Dickey, Jones and Pruitt were good hires. There are those that will claim any new hire is the best hire until that is no longer true. Then there are some that will focus more on reality and wait until more is known.

If we had hired the other Kim (Mulkey) or Dawn, then yes blast off the fireworks. She needs to prove herself - had she had a deep run in the NCAA with Marshall, it would be different, but Marshall was blown out badly. It wasn't even competitive. That should be enough to temper the expectations.

For the record I am not a Kellie loyalist - whatever that is - just looking at this realistically.
Doug DICKEY was a helluva hire! Revolutionized our program and doubled down by returning as AD and heading a couple of NC winning programs.

DW doesn’t hire or fire based off the fans opinions…. If he did…. He never would have hired Heupel or Caldwell bc most of the fanbase was against both hires. All fans and Boosters care about is winning….DW just didn’t think that CKH could get it done.
1. Did not say he did. 2. Most fans did not know about either til after hire. 3. Agree on last statement.

She has to prove it. I am still worried about her last game. The awful loss to VA Tech in the NCAA
Well, at least she's been to the dance. I'm sure she's far different in her thought process now after that waxing.

CKC has some serious question marks. Probably in this order ... #1 Can she recruit? #2 Will her philosophy translate? #3 Is she really ready to match wits with entrenched veterans in the sport?

None of these are gone. But, #1 is already being blougened in her short time here. Still time will tell if elite talent can be stockpiled and kept for more than 5 minutes nowadays. #2 Only time will tell. While I'm pumped about her style, I do remember the great Bobby Knight talking about Pearl's "controlled chaos" style. This is a little like CKCs style. Knight said it was "awesome when it works, but you have to know when to get the h377 to get out of it". #3 Speaks to the bad NCAA loss you speak of. The question might be "was she out of her league" ? She's young so it has to be asked.🤷

Only time will tell. But, I am more stoked @ UTLVBB than I've been since Pat left and made a bad hire, then Phil repeated. But, anyone saying all the Qs are answered are just being blind fans.

Dooley not Dickey

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Expectations don’t matter at all….. I’m ver excited about the hire and i think she is going to be a star…. It will be up to her to succeed though…. If she doesn’t win at a high enough level then it will be time to go through the process again.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
think meant Dooley....
oh-really-new-guy-the-office-qihf4uta5qogb9ni.gif

It was before my time, but at the time of the hire, was Dickey thought to be a "home run" hire?
Dickey...Assistant under Frank Broyles...(43-21?)
Dooley... head coach at La Tech 17-20.
Dooley with the other two coaches makes sense.

think meant Dooley....
You may think Dooley, but your thinking would be about 30-40 years off. Dickey made a big mistake when he resigned and took the Florida job as their head coach. He had the program rolling down the highway when he coached here. He was a great coach but only a better than average AD.

You may think Dooley, but your thinking would be about 30-40 years off. Dickey made a big mistake when he resigned and took the Florida job as their head coach. He had the program rolling down the highway when he coached here. He was a great coach but only a better than average AD.
Amen.

I did enjoy pelting him with oranges when he returned the following year. lol

VN Store

Back