The Gardening Thread

Sounds like you've seen the dilemma. Town meant for 30K, well close to 100K.

Its almost exactly 2X's cost of living as Maryville City. Which, has a higher cost of living than where we are, in Johnson City. At some point, only the affluent can afford to live in your City. So it becomes haves, and have nots, - a City of people taking care of the haves. No real manufacturing, or industry.

Asheville, to be blue. Isnt of the working class. ASU, UNCW alumni second homers flock there.

That said, we got married in Brevard. Nice town, near Hendersonville. Also. Waynesville, also also...and Candler (Nudge nudge).
My cousin used to live in Brevard. We wish to be ~2k’ above sea level and close to quality health care, so we’re looking at “the greater Asheville area” and some other places. If potential targets don’t fit our budget, we’ll stay put, but for me, the summer humid heat is becoming unbearable (47 days over 90 last year). In southern latitudes, altitude is our friend. Relatively short winters and fewer days over 90 in summers. I don’t want to move north for long, cold winters and still suffer hot, humid summers (like the Great Lakes region where my wife is from).

Reactions: Jackcrevol
My cousin used to live in Brevard. We wish to be ~2k’ above sea level and close to quality health care, so we’re looking at “the greater Asheville area” and some other places. If potential targets don’t fit our budget, we’ll stay put, but for me, the summer humid heat is becoming unbearable (47 days over 90 last year). In southern latitudes, altitude is our friend. Relatively short winters and fewer days over 90 in summers. I don’t want to move north for long, cold winters and still suffer hot, humid summers (like the Great Lakes region where my wife is from).
Greeneville SC ?

Tri Cities, upper E. TN is nice. Good climate.
Great lakes region? Detroit to Mackinaw Island to houghton?
Lansing is nice in the summer and not too bad in the winter. We have relatives in Owosso and Traverse City areas. Owosso isn't too bad in the winter.

Not very edible but I thought VN might enjoy pix of some of my wife's flowers, (Upper Cumberland)

Attachments

• IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1851.jpg
    IMG_1851.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0
The West Asheville one is two blocks from my house. Early Girl about 8(?) blocks. Sunny Point halfway between.
Sunny Point, something about a Bachelor Party. Breakfast. Anyway, really nice area. Happy for you.

Back to Gardening. Flowers are really popping right now. I bet Asheville is beautiful right now too.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNExile
Sunny Point, something about a Bachelor Party. Breakfast. Anyway, really nice area. Happy for you.

Back to Gardening. Flowers are really popping right now. I bet Asheville is beautiful right now too.
If I can ever get done with finals, I'll be able to check!

But we did finally get our front yard meadow wildflowers in this week!!! We cheerfully paid for it - I didn't have the time or bandwidth to take on the planning and purchasing, and neither of us have the backs to dig up the lawn and do all the planting. The contractor is a local woman-owned small business; the owner graduated in 2007 from UNCA in the same major I'm in (Ecology and Environmental Biology), so I figured it was Meant.

It's impossible to take a decent photo of our yard, but here's a panorama view. Geeze, I'm gonna have to do something about those planters. So far in bloom, a dwarf coreopsis, woodland phlox, and creeping phlox. I'm still figuring out what's planted in there...
1714706878677.png

The crew back in late March in the pouring rain, tearing out the ratty lawn:
1714706763964.png

If I can ever get done with finals, I'll be able to check!

But we did finally get our front yard meadow wildflowers in this week!!! We cheerfully paid for it - I didn't have the time or bandwidth to take on the planning and purchasing, and neither of us have the backs to dig up the lawn and do all the planting. The contractor is a local woman-owned small business; the owner graduated in 2007 from UNCA in the same major I'm in (Ecology and Environmental Biology), so I figured it was Meant.

It's impossible to take a decent photo of our yard, but here's a panorama view. Geeze, I'm gonna have to do something about those planters. So far in bloom, a dwarf coreopsis, woodland phlox, and creeping phlox. I'm still figuring out what's planted in there...
View attachment 638246

The crew back in late March in the pouring rain, tearing out the ratty lawn:
View attachment 638245
What is the shrub that is blooming in the first picture?
Nice improvement to the sidewalk.
Please show pictures of the progression.

What is the shrub that is blooming in the first picture?
Nice improvement to the sidewalk.
Please show pictures of the progression.
Shrub to the right? It’s an old hybrid (Japanese) azalea. It looks a lot like Coral Bell to me. Blooms are pretty well pooped out by now. The foundation plantings will be tackled in the late fall, once things go into dormancy.

I’ll definitely post pictures! 👍🏻

Shrub to the right? It’s an old hybrid (Japanese) azalea. It looks a lot like Coral Bell to me. Blooms are pretty well pooped out by now. The foundation plantings will be tackled in the late fall, once things go into dormancy.

I’ll definitely post pictures! 👍🏻
Plans?

yup, took me forever to get them happy. View attachment 638540
Know anyone that can make Eastern White Pines disappear? I'm paying between $5-$100. Whomever thought it a good idea to plant those as a privacy tree should be sacked.
Yeah, growing up we had a combo of a laurel hedge for about 3/4 the way back on the property line, then it switched to white pine. Which eventually outgrew tha space and hung over into the garden. And very stick sap.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
It may be late for some of you gardeners, but I have to try and squeeze getting my garden in amongst all the spring rains we have here on the plateau. So, got all my tomato poles and green bean structure up yesterday. Got my wire and string up on the tomato patch. Just need to get my wire up on the green bean run. Mostly down to transplanting my starters, and plugging the rest of the seed. And....rain again the next few days.

But, I'm already a solid 3 weeks ahead of last year. Most didn't don't in till end of May.

Reactions: VolNExile
I’ll be transplanting May 14, and only that early because we’ll be out of town for a week beginning May 21, and I want them to get settled in.

I don’t expect them to grow any while we’re gone. Just survival will be fine.

Reactions: Tin Man
Now, being zone 8a, I try to get ‘em in the ground during the last week of April, expecting them to adapt before hitting their growth spurts in May. However, this past week, lows have been in the sixties, and highs have been in the mid to upper 80s. Humid air and sweaty work.

Now, being zone 8a, I try to get ‘em in the ground during the last week of April, expecting them to adapt before hitting their growth spurts in May. However, this past week, lows have been in the sixties, and highs have been in the mid to upper 80s. Humid air and sweaty work.
My step-son lives outside Valdosta, GA. He palnts and grows stuff pretty much 8-9 months of the year. By now, he is probably already picking squash, and his tomatoes about 3 feet high. If he's not done harvesting by July in their heat and humidity, what's remaining will get scorched. Then he will come back in september and plant all his fall stuff and run it thru till about Jan/Feb.

He's got a swett set-up though not as tidy as I'd like to set up. He travels alot as he's in Ag with seed companies and has growers he has to visit. So, he has that collapsable bulk irrigation line. runs his water hose out to the garden and hooks up to his drip set up. Runs black plastic under most of it to keep out the weeds, and has his water set on timers. Once he's planted in he's set till harvest.

VN Store

Back