The Vols got completely destroyed by the refs and Shrek

It’s mind boggling how Edey has not fouled out ONCE this whole season.
FOULED OUT??? Didn't he have one foul today? If I were Barnes, I would call out the refs on this multiple times and pay the fines! Even a lot of neutral fans had to see Edey was mauling people and not getting one call against him. He almost put ZZ into the stands running over him with a screen and still didn't get a call against him. I agree with you, sir. The refs let Edey do what he wants to do.

My brother just shared a good one.
A security guard went to congrarulate Edey after the game and was called for a foul.

Announcers kept saying in both Ceighton and Purdue games that neither fouls often. There is a difference between not fouling and refs not calling fouls.
I agree on your last statement. I think there's something to it. Refs buying in to teams playing "clean", and calling the games tilted to that direction in their favor. Think Barnes could have maybe had more PR in this direction pregame. Think Creighton and Purdue got favor from refs. Purdue coach did it, talking about how physical we are on multiple occasions, seeming to hint that refs need to watch out for it.

Losing by a combined 10 points in 2 games to a team that was never questioned as a #1 seed, who consistently was ranked #1 or #2 all season is not getting destroyed. Losing by 20+ in one of those games would be, but we didn't. A 7'4" once in a decade type player + shots just not falling w/ many rattling in and out + whistle not on our side led to a 6 point loss today. Don't be so dramatic and keep perspective. We could have won this but we did not get destroyed. Our guys fought and had a chance up til the end.

I agree it's boring basketball, their whole game plan is to get it to the big guy inside. I thought the ref's let them play as much as they could, and I saw many fouls we committed on Lurch that could have been called. How can you defend against 7'6'' who can just turn around and lay it in ? We played them as tough as we could
I was the "big man inside" until highschool. Until I wasn't the biggest, the refs allowed me to be fouled to no end with no call, but if I looked wrong at someone, I was called for the foul.

Reactions: volfeeva and GBOx2
The annoying part about today is that the game was so hideous because the league/refs made a conscious decision that it was what they wanted to see. Specifically not enforcing 3 second violations or blatant slaps/pushes by Edey during rebounds. I'm sure it's hard for him to get his entire feet out of the paint every 3 seconds, but you'd think the "best player in college basketball" would figure it out over the course of 4 years. It will be refreshing next year when he's entirely irrelevant and Knecht is just at the start of his pro career journey.

Reactions: marvin616
There should be criminal consequences when refs cheat (PAID), told to make us lose (NCAA) and all other things like that. Criminal as in jail sentences.

I agree it's boring basketball, their whole game plan is to get it to the big guy inside. I thought the ref's let them play as much as they could, and I saw many fouls we committed on Lurch that could have been called. How can you defend against 7'6'' who can just turn around and lay it in ? We played them as tough as we could
Shocking. I saw the very same game.

After this tournament the only way that pos will be relevant is if he is on the same telecast as knecht. The NBA will call fouls on him and it will be painfully obvious how trash he is.

Purdue probably set aside a few mil worth of NIL deals to pay the refs.

Without Edny We beat them by 20+...That was absolutely disgusting how the refs protected him.

I was disappointed because I thought after playing them early this season I would see our staff do some of that coaching stuff and at least try a different approach knowing Aidoo was no match and Awaka too short. I didn't see anything different than the previous game. Painter came off his game plan after seeing our defense and just threw the ball inside on every play. Other than changing players I did not see any tactic change. UT could have doubled or tripled after the catch on occasion, fouled him before he shot instead of in the act, try to double and deny the ball. It got pretty bleak watching them just lob it to him for an easy layup over and over. I guess hope he misses was the plan??

Edy, the most overrated player I’ve ever seen. He would never make player of the year if the refs didn’t call a foul on every player that breathes on him.
He’s boring to watch and is only great be-cause of the officials. He will get destroyed in the NBA once he doesn’t have every official helping him.
Refs are ruining the game, and I would fire each and every one of them. If they had made the correct calls according to the rule book, Tennessee would have won.
How good would Edy really be if he didn’t get extra help from the refs?
It’s not an excuse, it’s a legitimate way to make sure Purdue wins. I’ve never been this pissed over officiating and they should all be ashamed of themselves. That’s not real basketball, and we shouldn’t put up with it.
We’re not the only team to complain. He gets the benefit of the call no matter what.

Exactly. If Barnes hadn't let the vols go to sleep with an 11 point lead in the first half,, vols might have pulled this out.
This is just a bad take. We went cold and went like 0-6 and even Knecht got loose with the ball a time or two. Really, Aidoo and ZZ had some issues there and Barnes adjusted by pulling Aidoo.

Edey revealed a grudge for Barnes in Purdue’s postgame for overlooking him during his recruitment. The refs helped him settle it….
Yeah that was an odd comment. Sounds like someone's in his head.
Barnes wouldn't do it but I'd laugh if he said 'we didn't think he could contribute at our level but we forgot to figure in officiating'.

VN Store

Back