Who is on the team next year?

Of course we will take a little step back next year, but there's still enough experience and talent to get us to the tourney next year. I'm sure 1 or 2 solid transfers will be Added too.
The good thing is, basketball is random, so we might make the Final 4. Alabama was a 1 seed last year and lost in the sweet 16. They weren’t nearly as good this year and got a clear path to the Final 4 because of the stupidity of the NCAA tournament.

If Barnes can find another big out there in the portal that can shoot or at least make MOST of his layups right under the basket, then I’m all for him telling Aido to look around and go get THAT guy.
I honestly think Estrella is that guy already. He's got so much potential. A 3rd wouldn't hurt though for sure.

Hate to say it but I think Jonas may take a hard look at the portal. Got benched the last two games and I’m sure Barnes wasn’t happy with the effort. When Awaka got in trouble he turned to a 19 year old green kid rather than putting Aidoo back in. I might be off but it wouldn’t shock me if he looks for a fresh start elsewhere.
Honestly, I won't mind a bit. I'd rather take my chances with Estrella. At least he got in there and mixed it up.

I honestly think Estrella is that guy already. He's got so much potential. A 3rd wouldn't hurt though for sure.
He may be. I liked what little I’ve seen of Estrella this year. Just needs more playing time. He did as well as anyone else trying to guard Purdue’s big man today. Whoever it is though, we have to have more point production than we got from Aido.

Honestly, I won't mind a bit. I'd rather take my chances with Estrella. At least he got in there and mixed it up.
Waiting to see if this flu rumor about Jonas is true. If he does have it, that’s a tough break and he probably shouldn’t have played at all. I do like Estrella’s potential though.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Waiting to see if this flu rumor about Jonas is true. If he does have it, that’s a tough break and he probably shouldn’t have played at all. I do like Estrella’s potential though.
I hadn’t heard that. If true, then I cut him some slack. Even healthy, though, we’ve seen him be ice cold and miss short shots and layups ad nauseum too many times this season.

Reactions: Delmar
We will take a big step back I think. Knecht obviously carried this team . . . No replacement on the horizon?
Knecht was electric on offense, but take a look at the Creighton game on the defensive side. The team will be alright.

Last edited:
Phillips at PF?? Not a chance. I'd rather get a big from the portal and slide Awaka to the 4. Phillips will need a ton more weight in this league.

I love Awaka, but the problem with him at the 4 is that as of now he offers no perimeter game whatsoever. If he can develop a consistent 12-15 foot jumper and a few post moves, different story. I love how that kid competes.

Not so sure we will not be just as good next year! Carr after spending a season with Dalton K and watching and learning may be really tough and Estrella grew up a bunch today going against the best big in the country. Next year with a little luck could be special once again. We will be very deep and may have more balanced scoring!

Zeigler
Mashack
?
?
Awaka

Not sure where they go at the 2 and 3. I'd like to see DJ Jefferson Play at the SF but idk if he's going to be on the team still.

I think they are going to start Awaka over Aidoo. Awaka has been emerging as a serious player.
Awaka is a much better over all player than Aidoo. I like Aidoo better when playing against teams without a big center, and Awaka better against the bigger ones.

It's not like Carr came in cold and made a big 3😮
So when I said “nobody showed they could step up” in reference to Knecht’s impact to this year’s team, your brain decided to throw out a guy who played in 14 games this year and averaged 4 minutes per game in those 14 games.

Carr looked good at times, but in what world are you seeing him as the best player on next years team? We are talking about who will help carry this team next year. No one showed they could do that this year and I can’t believe I have to point out that Carr didn’t show it either.

After thinking about it, I still don't think that's an excuse. He's pulled numerous no shows and there's been no mention of "illness". The common factor is usually a physical big on the opposing team. Some days Aidoo just didn't show up. Again, it's not like we haven't seen this from many a Vol the last several years. I just think Barnes will need to take a step back and really look at this roster and what we need from the portal for next year. Gonna have a lot of needs but we'll also have several openings to work with I suspect.

We’ll be good again next year for sure. Too many unknowns with portal players both ways, but the core is there. Zz, Gainey, Shack, Awaka aidoo is a really good experienced core. Carr, Estrella Dillione have all showed some glimpses and expect a big jump from all of them this off-season.

Ideally, find a pg option with multiple years to play and then find the best available player imo.

If Barnes can find another big out there in the portal that can shoot or at least make MOST of his layups right under the basket, then I’m all for him telling Aido to look around and go get THAT guy.
So let’s kick a second team All SEC center to the curb who was second in the league in blocked shots and made great improvements from a year ago? If he were to enter the portal, he would be ranked as a top 5 recruit. Who’s to say he doesn’t improve his strength and skills even more for next year? Some of you guys are just angry!

My impression is both Aidoo and ZZZ weren’t their normal selves and I won’t be surprised if it comes out this week. Also, I think Mashack was hampered by a sore back due the fall he took when he blocked Creighton’s center Friday.

My impression is both Aidoo and ZZZ weren’t their normal selves and I won’t be surprised if it comes out this week. Also, I think Mashack was hampered by a sore back due the fall he took when he blocked Creighton’s center Friday.
That would be the saddest timing for those things to have happened but typical of our luck sometimes.

VN Store

Back