2024 NBA Season Thread aka The Zion High Deductible Healthcare Plan

I’m so conflicted about Minny. On one hand, the main man Mike Conley. On the other, KAT.

At least PBev is peddling his nonsense in Milwaukee.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY loves to kill a run with an ill timed 3 or uncontrolled drive like Michael Porter Jr

If Minnesota/Boston meet in the Finals and this type of officiating keeps up, we might get some 2003-2005 Finals scores.

I love Jokic and part of that reason is he doesn’t buy into the “I got to gets mine” ******** that people think you have to have to be great. But in Game 3, it’s time for him to shoot 25-30 times

Imo, they got every call right. The offensive pick was questionable, should have been a no call. But, letting Josh Hart get an offensive rebound on his FT miss, then another And 1, was the deciding factor in the 4th. Once again, imo.

Damn, the Hart scenario happened with over 5 minutes to go. Maybe not the deciding factor, but things, teams that win playoff games don't let happen

They cleanly stole the ball from Brunson and they called it a kick and then Knicks hit a 3.

You never call that screen a foul, especially in that situation. If you call that, you gotta call 100 fouls a game. Refs got finessed by DD.

I don't think the game was fixed because they were missing calls both ways but they definitely ruined the game and what could've been epic final seconds with bad calls and too many reviews.

Reactions: Rifleman
Will the NBA suspend Murray in game 3? If he was a fan this would have been his last moment at an NBA game

Last edited:
Will the NBA suspend Murray in game 3? If he was a fan this would have been his last moment at an NBA game

He definitely should be suspended. How could they let him get away with that? It was a really odd situation, how passive the refs and everyone else were about it. I guess no one really noticed it happening, but I’ve seen players suspended for way less, situations that were blown out of proportions where everyone overreacted. This incident was the exact opposite. No one reacted at all.

Nuggets were acting like total babies. Can't believe no technicals. Any suspension coming? Just ignore it, which I'm fine with, but this is the same league that suspended like 11 guys for stepping off the bench in a playoff game. He could have hurt someone

Reactions: KoachKrab127
This is what a bona fide moving screen looks like.

I understand that the NBA profits off a NYC team advancing, but they really don't need this much help. It's a bad look.

Even from a crassly economics-only view, the refs robbed us of a Game 7 in Madison Square Garden with their shenanigans in the first round. Knicks likely would have advanced anyway, and the viewership for that game would have been huge, so that's a lot of lost revenue.

Reactions: knoxvol52
I understand that the NBA profits off a NYC team advancing, but they really don't need this much help. It's a bad look.

Even from a crassly economics-only view, the refs robbed us of a Game 7 in Madison Square Garden with their shenanigans in the first round. Knicks likely would have advanced anyway, and the viewership for that game would have been huge, so that's a lot of lost revenue.

I don't think it's the league fixing games. I think it's a failure of officiating and management of the officials. Some of these guys think it's about them. Some of these guys are watching the reaction and not the action. DD fell down? Foul. DD didn't knock the guy down? Not a foul. They're fkn idiots who ask to be tricked

I don't think it's the league fixing games. I think it's a failure of officiating and management of the officials. Some of these guys think it's about them. Some of these guys are watching the reaction and not the action. DD fell down? Foul. DD didn't knock the guy down? Not a foul. They're fkn idiots who ask to be tricked
I tend to agree with you here but you certainly open yourself up to the question when the team from New York beats the team from Indiana

Reactions: Rifleman
I tend to agree with you here but you certainly open yourself up to the question when the team from New York beats the team from Indiana

For sure, and I actually kinda like that convo if I'm being honest, but if I'm being honest about the veracity of it, I would say the league does not tend to fix things. Maybe they have, but I doubt it's a common practice.

We remember the times the big market got the friendly whistle and strengthens our bias. But when they don't get the whistle, we sarcastically say, "I can't believe they didn't get the whistle." and forget it when we just witnessed the averaging out of things.

It doesn't get any bigger than Lakers and Lebron and the Nuggets got the friendly whistle down the stretch of game 2. If you're the league and anticipate that's a 4 or 5 game series and you have a chance to make it 1-1, you would do everything in your power to not deliver the win to Denver.

Tangent:

What is the payoff for fixing the games for a big market showdown in the finals? It's ratings, right? The league of course just likes attention in general. I suppose they sell more merch if it's a big market matchup, but really, we think about the ratings...

The league doesn't get direct $ for ratings. Their pay is set from the network contract regardless of what the ratings are. So how much of an incentive is it to actually try to game the ratings like that? The bidding networks are just going to take an average of eyeballs over the last 10 years for all playoffs, but they're going to weight more recent years more heavily. This is the contract year. They will be renegotiating soon, and if more weight is put on recent playoffs, this would be the year to juice the balls.

Turns out Jamal Murray threw a towel and then the heat pack. Can't tell if he was trying to hit the ref or have it land in his field of view to get his attention, but it was in the direction of the ref and this is absolute clown behavior.

I’ll just revisit that PBev threw a ball striking a fan in the head and then tried it again. This was last week with nothing meaningful from the league. And I believe fans were removed. Struck her in the head with an intentionally thrown ball.

Imagine a fan throwing anything and striking a player in the head and how swift that response would be by law enforcement, the team, and the league.

VN Store

Back