2024 Transfer Portal Thread

G League camp is May 11&12. Whether he goes or not, I can’t see it helping him get what he wants out of the draft. I’ll just say what I’ve said before— We’ve spent longer working on Lanier than anyone else, by years, not days. Rick has followed him for a long time. Anything can change in the portal, but we remain in the best spot. Kentucky obviously has the funds to spend on getting a great guard, but the clock is ticking. They are in on Robinson and Wooga as well. Hopefully the dam will break and they’ll blow their roll on one of them. The quiet confidence our staff has on this one hasn’t changed. Lanier and family are churchy, they love the Knecht story, and trust Barnes to move Lanier up into a good draft position. The money is again something they’ve discussed for awhile. There’s lots of trust here. Of course, I’m bothered by Kentucky being in a panic for a guard this late, but our staff continues to believe we have a different level of connection than any other team, and he’ll end up here.

Agreed. Not even close to being that type of player. If fans today could have watched a young Alcindor, Russell or Chamberlain, they'd see what a totally crazy thing it is to call Edey a "generational" talent at center. I'd take any number of great centers over Edey. Moses, Robinson, Hakeem. Edey can't be mentioned in the same breath with any of those guys. He's a genetic abnormality, but that's his only real calling card. Make him a traditional 7' center and he's nothing special.

lol…you kind of took it further than the intent. Edey is a back to back national player of the year. I was absolutely frustrated with the way he was officiated, and he got away with a bunch. But taken as a whole, he was dominant.

Hakeem never won a player of the year, and he was the last name you mentioned. He played 40 years ago. So, yes, in this current generation (last 20 years), Edey is one of the most dominant centers we’ve had. Purdue was nothing without him. Anthony Davis would probably be the other that would compare or be better than Edey.

The point was those guys just aren’t hanging around.

That's what I'm saying. He won't get the same officiating in the NBA that he's gotten in college. If he were truly a "generational" player, that shouldn't matter. But it will, because he's not a generational player. He's just a really tall guy that got the benefit of an unfair whistle.
I’m not talking NBA. Totally different subject. That isn’t the discussion. I’m talking about college centers.

Reactions: knoxvol52
G League camp is May 11&12. Whether he goes or not, I can’t see it helping him get what he wants out of the draft. I’ll just say what I’ve said before— We’ve spent longer working on Lanier than anyone else, by years, not days. Rick has followed him for a long time. Anything can change in the portal, but we remain in the best spot. Kentucky obviously has the funds to spend on getting a great guard, but the clock is ticking. They are in on Robinson and Wooga as well. Hopefully the dam will break and they’ll blow their roll on one of them. The quiet confidence our staff has on this one hasn’t changed. Lanier and family are churchy, they love the Knecht story, and trust Barnes to move Lanier up into a good draft position. The money is again something they’ve discussed for awhile. There’s lots of trust here. Of course, I’m bothered by Kentucky being in a panic for a guard this late, but our staff continues to believe we have a different level of connection than any other team, and he’ll end up here.
Thanks for the update

I’m not talking NBA. Totally different subject. That isn’t the discussion. I’m talking about college centers.
Okay, give any other college center the benefit of the calls and non-calls Edey received, and they would be perceived as "generational" as well. If the proper calls are made, Edey is average at best.

Reactions: VolPack22
Okay, give any other college center the benefit of the calls and non-calls Edey received, and they would be perceived as "generational" as well. If the proper calls are made, Edey is average at best.
I’ve already discussed it. He did get calls, but he was also the back to back NPOY. He’s a top 3 college center in the last 20 years, so he is a generational talent.

I’ve already discussed it. He did get calls, but he was also the back to back NPOY. He’s a top 3 college center in the last 20 years, so he is a generational talent.
He is not a generational talent in most people’s eyes. There are screenshots after screenshots of him committing offensive fouls but the refs refused to blow a whistle on him. If the game was called the right way he would be nothing more than a 15 and 10 guy. Still a very good player but not generational.

From a talent perspective I’m not sure he would be a top 3 center at Kentucky in the last 20 years. The difference is the Kentucky guys mostly stayed 1 season. Edey seems better because he stayed 4 seasons. JMO

He is not a generational talent in most people’s eyes. There are screenshots after screenshots of him committing offensive fouls but the refs refused to blow a whistle on him. If the game was called the right way he would be nothing more than a 15 and 10 guy. Still a very good player but not generational.
I get all that, but Purdue was nothing without him. I’m talking more about production. But the overall point from the original post was that we need to go out and get bigger posts like Edey. I simply responded and said guys like Edey just aren’t hanging around everyday committing to schools. Regardless of his advantage, he had skills at 7’4”. He is a generational type of player that you don’t see year in and year out.

I get all that, but Purdue was nothing without him. I’m talking more about production. But the overall point from the original post was that we need to go out and get bigger posts like Edey. I simply responded and said guys like Edey just aren’t hanging around everyday committing to schools. Regardless of his advantage, he had skills at 7’4”. He is a generational type of player that you don’t see year in and year out.
Bigger posts won't matter if they're not getting the benefit of the same whistle Edey received.

From a talent perspective I’m not sure he would be a top 3 center at Kentucky in the last 20 years. The difference is the Kentucky guys mostly stayed 1 season. Edey seems better because he stayed 4 seasons. JMO
That’s part of producing for your team- staying to play. My statement was simply based on college production and what he meant to his team as a center. Those don’t grow on trees as the original poster wanted to find for us. That’s ok- others can disagree.

Bigger posts won't matter if they're not getting the benefit of the same whistle Edey received.
I’m done talking about the officiating. The bottom line is Purdue went to the title game, and they aren’t erasing it from the books.

Edey's talent was he was allowed to camp out in the lane for as long as he wanted, and he was allowed to push and elbow guys to clear out. I still recall Awaka's face fouling Edey's elbow. You can't argue that Edey is a "generational talent" and ignore that he wasn't held to the same rules as everyone else. That's just ludicrous.

Edey's talent was he was allowed to camp out in the lane for as long as he wanted, and he was allowed to push and elbow guys to clear out. I still recall Awaka's face fouling Edey's elbow. You can't argue that Edey is a "generational talent" and ignore that he wasn't held to the same rules as everyone else. That's just ludicrous.
lol…just stop. He’s one of 8 players ever to score 2500 points and grab 1300 rebounds. First since 1990. Yes, his production was the definition of generational.

You would love a player at UT with those numbers. I guess you can recruit them anytime.

Understand the point you are trying to make but we had Plavsic for 3 years prior to that and we got bumped in the 1st round, 2nd round and the Sweet 16. We get to the Final Four this year if the supporting cast around DK would have shot better than 32% from the field. It is as simple as that. DK made 14 buckets and the rest of the team made 10.
My point is not that Uros is some master key.. My point is on this past years team having someone like Uros would have changed a lot. For the past few years we seem to lose of lot of post players to transfers. It goes back further than that but think about the post talent we have lost in the past 3 years in the portal era. Most people get all caught up on starters and stars but honestly, especially in the post its about that guy that's the 10th man most nights but when you face a team with a big man you have him waiting in the wings to give you 5-10 mins of hard play and some spare fouls. We have only rostered one 7 footer in over 20 years. I ended up down the rabbit hole on UTsports.com and had to go back to the mid 90's the last time we had a 7 footer on the roster at all before Uros.. the 90's back then they measured guys in their shoes standing on a stepstool if they wanted. This was a time where folks would claim Charles Barkley was 6'6 with a straight face when he's standing next to Jordan. Steve Hamer 1995 is the last time. SO even in a time period where people played it wild and loose with heights...we couldn't get the big boys. Since i was already down the rabbit hole I decided to dig a tad deeper for more entertainment.. Hamers freshman Year there was a player Alonzo Johnson who is clearly taller than Hamer listed at 6'11 in the team pic 1992-93 Men's Basketball Roster - University of Tennessee Athletics its hilarious because Johnsonis listed at 7 feet in the team pic the year before 1991-92 Men's Basketball Roster - University of Tennessee Athletics. and when he transfered to LSU he was listed at 6'10. I guess back then u had to play up to your hgeight literally lol

Wild aside. In the picture below (i know its at a slight angle) 33 is not an inch taller htan 40 the top of Moores head come up to Harris' hairline

1715088441838.png

Just remove the generational part from your posts. Generational is someone like a Kevin Durant or Anthony Davis that produced in college and gets drafted at the top of the draft. And those dudes were one and done. Imagine if they stayed in college for 4. They would have averaged at least 30ppg by the time they were seniors. NBA talent evaluators see Edey as a late 1st round pick at best, even after back to back NPOY. That’s not generational, sorry. You can make your point without saying he is generational. It’s a slap to the face of guys with legitimate generational talent.

What

Just remove the generational part from your posts. Generational is someone like a Kevin Durant or Anthony Davis that produced in college and gets drafted at the top of the draft. And those dudes were one and done. Imagine if they stayed in college for 4. They would have averaged at least 30ppg by the time they were seniors. NBA talent evaluators see Edey as a late 1st round pick at best, even after back to back NPOY. That’s not generational, sorry. You can make your point without saying he is generational. It’s a slap to the face of guys with legitimate generational talent.
I’m not talking athleticism. I said “generational player” not “generational talent.” I’m talking about what he did for his team and his production. Yes, his stats are generational numbers. He stayed 4 years while others did not. There is nuance to some discussions and arguments- not just topics in a vacuum. Zach Edey’s production was phenomenal, and those type players and circumstances (staying 4 years) are few and far between. This isn’t a difficult discussion. You may not see it again for a long time. 25 points, 12+ rebounds, 2+ blocks in 2 straight seasons. Zion, Anthony Davis, and Durant all had phenomenal single seasons, and they are generational talent. But the fact remains that Edey played multiple years putting up those numbers, and it’s not normal.

I’m not talking athleticism. I said “generational player” not “generational talent.” I’m talking about what he did for his team and his production. Yes, his stats are generational numbers. He stayed 4 years while others did not. There is nuance to some discussions and arguments- not just topics in a vacuum. Zach Edey’s production was phenomenal, and those type players and circumstances (staying 4 years) are few and far between. This isn’t a difficult discussion. You may not see it again for a long time. 25 points, 12+ rebounds, 2+ blocks in 2 straight seasons. Zion, Anthony Davis, and Durant all had phenomenal single seasons, and they are generational talent. But the fact remains that Edey played multiple years putting up those numbers, and it’s not normal.
If he were generational he would have been one and done. End of discussion as far as I am concerned. You clearly aren’t going to back off your viewpoint on this.

lol…just stop. He’s one of 8 players ever to score 2500 points and grab 1300 rebounds. First since 1990. Yes, his production was the definition of generational.

You would love a player at UT with those numbers. I guess you can recruit them anytime.
I would love to have a player that the refs allowed to do those things. Absolutely. Not gonna lie. Having a player that rules didn't apply to would be advantageous.

Whistled correctly, though, and Edey fouls out of a LOT of games. Whistled correctly and his numbers don't approach that. Go back and watch the tapes. Edey was continuously allowed to camp out in the lane longer than allowed. He often pushed off and threw elbows with zero consequences. A lot of fouls called for him should actually been called against him. It's there on tape should you choose to watch it. Or you can continue to pretend it didn't happen when it clearly did.

It’s not normal, but the reason it isn’t normal is that guys get drafted after putting up those numbers if they’re great players. He’s definitely once in a generation so he’s “generational” in some sense but it’s not talent and I’d argue it’s not “player” either since there’s been other better players who didn’t stick around in college so long. Maybe call him a “generational college stat generator” or something because “generational talent” and “generational player” both already have connotations that don’t quite fit.

VN Store

Back