2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Surprising that the staff would risk frustrating info jockeys on the boards instead of openly identifying guys so they can be thrilled at being categorized as backup options and analyzed by an array of FANS! Nothing more encouraging than seeing PASS posts on a teams free boards as you are in a decision process. I know the popular stance is they should be smart enough to ignore idiots cause every team has them, but they get to apply free analysis to free speech and the staff may want to keep the window of applied arrogance as small as possible.
Lol...exactly. But, between agendas (some have never recovered their internet cred after going all in on the "coasting to retirement" and similarly asinine positions) and irrationality, this is where we find ourselves.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Of course the coaches know the NIL of every player, before and after the offer. There has to be communication, If not, then Sprye would be offering money or raising offer to a player that the staff does not really want or does not want over another player. Sprye is only informing staff what they have to spend. If staff wants to spend more, then I assume a call is made to a major donor.

Reactions: LaagerVol
Don't know to what extent the players are familiar with Lanier, if at all, personally, I think how he gets along with the players on the visit will go a very long way to deciding how this plays out. The players have always had a say in what new players are accepted onto the team and which ones are steered elsewhere. I think if personally he fits the team he will be here and if not, then he will go elsewhere.
When Chaz visits on Tuesday, I guarantee you one thing that will happen. CRB will tell Mashack to go play one on one with Chaz. Then, Mashack will report back and tell CRB what he thinks of him. That's what has been reported that CRB did when Dalton came for his visit last year. I love that! Get you best defender to check out his game! Love it!!!

When Chaz visits on Tuesday, I guarantee you one thing that will happen. CRB will tell Mashack to go play one on one with Chaz. Then, Mashack will report back and tell CRB what he thinks of him. That's what has been reported that CRB did when Dalton came for his visit last year. I love that! Get you best defender to check out his game! Love it!!!
Agreed. And, it's a great selling point to reinforce one of the ways you're going to make him better, which is go up against JM every freaking day.

Ultimately they are there to hoop and that’s the best way to find out about him. Yeah we are recruiting him but at the same time you kind of need to show us what you have against SEC competition. It’s a two way street.

BYU • Kentucky • Tennessee
Only 1 has been on the radar of Chaz Lanier consistently - TN
I'm reminded of Lanier's family friend and former NBA player Dantae Jones confirming my post as well as his father who is a pastor in Nashville in mid March 16th about Lanier & the Vols strong connection.

If TN fans are worried about the BYU & KY visits - I can "speculatively guarantee" that the diehard KY & BYU fans & behind the scenes Intel are far more terrified of Lanier's TN visit to end all visits.
There's a reason TN was squeezed in there before that dead period.
Vols off season game plan with Lanier as priority 1 has led up to this moment.....
.....Lanier is still Vols to lose

Edited:
🍊Go VOLS🍊
Im off topic but are you referring to Dontae’ Jones who led MS State to final four? I coached one of his NYBA 🏀 teams about 12 yrs ago. I haven’t seen him or Vince Yarbrough in a decade. My son played AAU ball for Vince yrs ago.

Reactions: onfocusgovols
Agree it is nice as a fan to hear confirmation but should anyone have really doubted the staff didn't have a plan B, or C or beyond? This isn't their first rodeo and they have clearly demonstrated the ability to find talent year-in and year-out.
I wouldn’t want to be a coach in today’s climate. The pressure to win is immense along with appeasing the existing roster and the recruits who committed via the portal and from high school.

It’s a different sport & situation, but I just thought about the recruitment of QB Simms. Simms committed to TN so Fulmer didn’t pursue any other QBs. However, Simms surprised everyone by decommitting and headed to Texas. Fulmer was stunned as he had given his word to Simms and family not to recruit another QB.

Since then I always hoped our coaches do not rely on one kid in the recruiting process.

I’m sure Barnes has a plan B but again, it has to be more difficult recruiting nowadays.

Definitely just me wishing because it’s not realistic, but dream finish would be

Chaz Lanier, Braeden Smith, and Kevin Patton.

We haven’t reached out to the other two, but would love to have those guys. Both were freshman that produced and played really well.

That story get changed every time I hear it. Mashack hosted DK on the visit. They did a training facility tour with Clark. Mashack asked DK to play one on one. Clark didn’t want them to do it because he was afraid it wouldn’t go well for DK. After they played, they told Barnes who wasn’t happy about, but said he wouldn’t find a better defender to practice against anywhere else. After the visit, Mashack called his mom to say that DK was the best offensive player he had ever guarded, and he knew that he’d come to Tennessee. I think it took a few more weeks til Dalton signed, but we got him.

Definitely just me wishing because it’s not realistic, but dream finish would be

Chaz Lanier, Braeden Smith, and Kevin Patton.

We haven’t reached out to the other two, but would love to have those guys. Both were freshman that produced and played really well.
I think Braeden Smith will be a Zag by the middle of next week.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
As I’ve said, if he makes it here I like our chances.
I'm not an insider, far from it, but I've been reading as much as I can about this recruitment for a while.

Seems like what is being said here without being said is that the Lanier visit is set up, but could be cancelled if the NIL ask is too out of whack.

If he makes it to Knox for a visit, it means he's within negotiation range, and we can get him. If BYU or KY legit offers him $2mil, Barnes will tell him not to waste his time if our offer isn't acceptable.

Just my read.

Reactions: garyp194
That story get changed every time I hear it. Mashack hosted DK on the visit. They did a training facility tour with Clark. Mashack asked DK to play one on one. Clark didn’t want them to do it because he was afraid it wouldn’t go well for DK. After they played, they told Barnes who wasn’t happy about, but said he wouldn’t find a better defender to practice against anywhere else. After the visit, Mashack called his mom to say that DK was the best offensive player he had ever guarded, and he knew that he’d come to Tennessee. I think it took a few more weeks til Dalton signed, but we got him.
One of the best recruiting stories ever.

I like this version better

I can't believe I have never heard about this recruiting visit and now, the legendary one on one with DK and Mashack. That's just awesome. Btw, Mashack probably shuts down Chaz, imo

This is more than likely what happened and the response from CRB I can image.
It probably will not happen again as DK was an exceptional Athlete and the opportunity was there.

The timing was right for DK as for Lanier, 3 days of Jet Lag.

Just be thankful we got the last visit. To clear up all that BS he has been given in the previous days of visits.

Last edited:
Barnes calls Spyre and tells 'em, to back the Wells Fargo truck up to TBA. But, there is a slim to none chance, Chaz is better offensively than DK, imo
So he is better than an 8th pick cause Lanier says he can play defense at a high level.

I heard a Barnes interview that stated Knecht's NIL deal was a base with incentives. He did not mention numbers but did say he hit every incentive and maxed out.

The staff really should get a ton of credit. DK averaged more points in the SEC than the Big Sky Conference. He was also 2nd team All Big Sky conference while at Northern Colorado, but SEC player of the year under Barnes.

DK mentioned several times he bet on himself. It wasn't just a figure of speech. If he goes in the top 10 of the draft, he will make over $13M guaranteed.

Whoever Tennessee's staff chooses to fill the same playmaker role for would be foolish to turn it down.
This should be the way all NIL is... Incentive based

VN Store

Back