5-7 Format Confirmed for 12-team College Football Playoffs

TrueOrange

It will be 5 conference champions (the 4 power conference champions plus the highest ranked Group of 5 conference champion).

Then the 7 at large spots for the highest ranked remaining teams.

It will be 5 conference champions (the 4 power conference champions plus the highest ranked Group of 5 conference champion).

rip the PAC 12.

I know they were DOA, but this kills off any hope they had.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

What a freaking waste putting the G5 team in there. This isn’t March Madness.

Under the 12-team playoff format that begins this fall, the four highest-ranked conference champions will be seeded one through four and each will receive a first-round bye, while teams seeded five through 12 will play each other in the first round on the home field of the higher-ranked team

So are they going to manipulate the rankings vote the final week of the season to ensure the top 4 ranked teams are conference champs, or are they going to take the criticism when a #6 ranked conference champ boots the #3 ranked team out of the bye week because they are not a conference champ?

Or what if we get another 2022 scenario. Would 3 loss Utah leapfrog everyone to the #4 spot? They are the 4th highest rated conference champ. The 4 bye weeks would be Georgia, Michigan, Clemson, and Utah when the final ranking looked like this:

1708462292825.png

So are they going to manipulate the rankings vote the final week of the season to ensure the top 4 ranked teams are conference champs, or are they going to take the criticism when a #6 ranked conference champ boots the #3 ranked team out of the bye week because they are not a conference champ?

Or what if we get another 2022 scenario. Would 3 loss Utah leapfrog everyone to the #4 spot? They are the 4th highest rated conference champ. The 4 bye weeks would be Georgia, Michigan, Clemson, and Utah when the final ranking looked like this:

View attachment 621364
Top 4 conference champions are guaranteed a bye, no matter their ranking. The automatic qualifiers are just an awful idea and it opens the door for a 2 or 3 loss team to get a bye.

Top 4 conference champions are guaranteed a bye, no matter their ranking. The automatic qualifiers are just an awful idea and it opens the door for a 2 or 3 loss team to get a bye.
That's what I mean. Seems like a joke to have a 3 loss team jump 1 loss teams to get a bye, but that appears possible with the explanation so far.

What a freaking waste putting the G5 team in there. This isn’t March Madness.
I think it’s pretty much to try to prevent any antitrust lawsuits by states/schools and Congress down the road. The same reason the CFP bids include the highest ranked group of 5 team (and the BCS had started allowing an automatic bid for a mid-major team above a certain ranking - like 15 or 16. - during its later years).

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I read the comments above. I don't think any of you understand: we adopted the 12 team format so there would no longer be any controversy.

Reactions: sami
As I understand it , 4 conference champions, seven at-large, and Notre Dame. At least, that's what the media members are hoping.

As I understand it , 4 conference champions, seven at-large, and Notre Dame. At least, that's what the media members are hoping.
I get the joke, but Notre Dame isn’t eligible for one of the five spots. The committee has already laid that out.

I think it’s pretty much to try to prevent any antitrust lawsuits by states/schools and Congress down the road. The same reason the CFP bids include the highest ranked group of 5 team (and the BCS had started allowing an automatic bid for a mid-major team above a certain ranking - like 15 or 16. - during its later years).
That makes sense. I probably put that too bluntly. I think that they should have an opportunity, but I feel like there should be some stipulations for a G5 to qualify. There needs to be at least 1 Power 4 school on their schedule . The fact that Liberty would’ve made the CFP last season with the worst SOS in the country isn’t right IMO. Why would Memphis, App, Coastal, Liberty, etc… ever schedule a tough opponent if they can win their conference ? What incentive is there?

That makes sense. I probably put that too bluntly. I think that they should have an opportunity, but I feel like there should be some stipulations for a G5 to qualify. There needs to be at least 1 Power 4 school on their schedule . The fact that Liberty would’ve made the CFP last season with the worst SOS in the country isn’t right IMO. Why would Memphis, App, Coastal, Liberty, etc… ever schedule a tough opponent if they can win their conference ? What incentive is there?

Well, it wouldn’t matter if they schedule a tough OOC opponent or not, wouldn’t it? If they get blown out 52-0 by a top 10 team, but win their conference, they’d still make the playoff, right? So it doesn’t encourage them to not create a difficult OOC schedule.

Well, it wouldn’t matter if they schedule a tough OOC opponent or not, wouldn’t it? If they get blown out 52-0 by a top 10 team, but win their conference, they’d still make the playoff, right? So it doesn’t encourage them to not create a difficult OOC schedule.
Im saying a G5 school shouldn’t be eligible for the CFP unless they have a power 4 school on the schedule.

I think they should have to be a top 15-20 team as well.

I get the joke, but Notre Dame isn’t eligible for one of the five spots. The committee has already laid that out.
What's ironic is that even if Notre Dame is ranked number 1, they can never get a bye, because they will never be a conference champion.
So the highest they will ever be seeded is number 5.

Reactions: LouderVol
What's ironic is that even if Notre Dame is ranked number 1, they can never get a bye, because they will never be a conference champion.
So the highest they will ever be seeded is number 5.
They could easily change that if they felt like it.

Reactions: Plecoptera

VN Store

Back