Cristian Conyer to the portal

Or they could be passed over by better talent.
Yea, I’m sure the coaches would have liked the added depth but coming out of spring he was outside looking in at the two deep. And in todays world that means transfer portal since the guys ahead of him are all as young as he is…

Good luck and let’s hope we don’t need that depth in ‘24. But remember that by the end of ‘23 we had a walk on playing a good number of snaps in the secondary.

Most of them can see the pecking order being set. He was too talented to wait for it to be official in the fall.
This^ when you play ball even in practice you know the pecking order. If you are smart you can say to yourself, I'm not beating these guys out. Also, Vols are not going to stop recruiting next year, either hang on to be practice support or portal down to play.

Amen

I guess I'm just old school.

No doubt playing football for UT is a rough business, but I think the rewards would be worth it-again, if I had any ability.

A free education and all the bells and whistles is nothing to scoff at in this day and age. Add in that with that on your resume, I'm sure you wouldn't have to spend much time looking for a gig after college. Basically leverage yourself into a nice cushy job playing golf with clients while you talk about the good old days when you suited up for UT.

Sure would have beat the 4-5 years grinding it out I spent just trying to make my name after college.
Yup, car dealership jobs, restaurant franchises, pr jobs; a UT VFL that gives his all for 4 years will usually find a good landing

I asked the board last week if anyone thought CJH would be going after an additional RB from the portal to sure up depth. I was told that we were full due to scholarships. Perhaps this will lead to that end. Either way, the best of luck to Christian. I hope he ends up getting a lot of playing time wherever he lands.
If the coaches are going to bring in another RB, I think it was already going to happen. We still had some spots available (even with the scholarship reductions) so I don’t see how those 2 things would be related.

Reactions: murfvol1
With the way NCAA is now, toothless, I might be inclined to not worry about scholarship reductions..

We honestly lost nobody that wasn’t replaceable.
We need good depth not just depth.

Right now we have both
Jacob Thomas/ Jourdon Thomas SS
Turrentine/ John Slaughter /Brooks FS
Charles/ Carter/ Harrison NB
Gibson/ McMurray/ Goree CB
McCoy/ Matthews/ W Wright CB

That’s more or less the without Beasley, or Farooq

I think we’re good. 18 guys for 10 spots at DB with regular playing time?

What good is 22 DBs if 6 of them are bad??

Where did I advocate for 22 DBs? I believe we have 14 scholarship DBs on our current roster (assumes Conyer doesn’t return).

I’m an optimist, too. But, you’ve included Walk Ons, and also others who have not played past HS, or not played meaningful snaps in college in the Depth list. It may be too early to label some of these guys “quality depth”. (Although I very much appreciate the contributions of Brooks & Wright as Walk Ons.)

Also history indicates we’ll have multiple guys go down with injuries/illness etc. in this position group. In the dime package, we’ll need 6 good ones on the field. I would just feel better with another solid DB at this point!

Stop feeling bad for them. College football is a business. This is a business move. If you dont produce you get reduced. BYE. NIL has made sensitivity go out the window.

Where did I advocate for 22 DBs? I believe we have 14 scholarship DBs on our current roster (assumes Conyer doesn’t return).

I’m an optimist, too. But, you’ve included Walk Ons, and also others who have not played past HS, or not played meaningful snaps in college in the Depth list. It may be too early to label some of these guys “quality depth”. (Although I very much appreciate the contributions of Brooks & Wright as Walk Ons.)

Also history indicates we’ll have multiple guys go down with injuries/illness etc. in this position group. In the dime package, we’ll need 6 good ones on the field. I would just feel better with another solid DB at this point!
You said we had 4 less than last year.
18 + 4 = 22

Amen

I guess I'm just old school.

No doubt playing football for UT is a rough business, but I think the rewards would be worth it-again, if I had any ability.

A free education and all the bells and whistles is nothing to scoff at in this day and age. Add in that with that on your resume, I'm sure you wouldn't have to spend much time looking for a gig after college. Basically leverage yourself into a nice cushy job playing golf with clients while you talk about the good old days when you suited up for UT.

Sure would have beat the 4-5 years grinding it out I spent just trying to make my name after college.
People bandy about that whole free education thing like its real. Most college athletes on full scholarships end with a bill. The full scholly does not cover all expenses. Most players that play a full career never make the pros and most of those guys have permanent physical damage. They sell their bodies for the hope of the next level or love of the game. I am cool looking at it that way... but free education my arse. Those guys all pay a much bigger cost than non-athlete students.

Lets be real, to the average college student permanent bodily harm and possible death are not realistic things they have to factor in. The chances of dying in their American literature class or needing multiple knee surgeries because of Physics 201 is infinitely low. These kids work their butts off to an extent most people cannot imagine. The sacrifices they have to make are kinda nuts and it only pays off for a very small percentage of them.

People bandy about that whole free education thing like its real. Most college athletes on full scholarships end with a bill. The full scholly does not cover all expenses. Most players that play a full career never make the pros and most of those guys have permanent physical damage. They sell their bodies for the hope of the next level or love of the game. I am cool looking at it that way... but free education my arse. Those guys all pay a much bigger cost than non-athlete students.

Lets be real, to the average college student permanent bodily harm and possible death are not realistic things they have to factor in. The chances of dying in their American literature class or needing multiple knee surgeries because of Physics 201 is infinitely low. These kids work their butts off to an extent most people cannot imagine. The sacrifices they have to make are kinda nuts and it only pays off for a very small percentage of them.

I am not disagreeing that football is a dangerous game.

Gotta admit though, I blew out my knee playing intramural flag football in college. The point being that there is no safe place on the planet Earth. You can roll off your couch while taking a nap and be killed if you just happen to land the wrong way.

Now, in terms of cost. Brother, I knew quite a few athletes quite well when I was at GT-football and basketball players who few will remember but also baseball players like Nomar and Varitek. They never paid a thing.

Another buddy got a free ride for track-his total college expenses were $40. The school charged you $10 a year for a mailbox and email address for whatever reason and THAT wasn't included in his scholarship. Tuition, housing, books, meals, etc-but that lousy $10 a year was a problem lol. I'm really not sure about parking permits-I'll have to ask him about that one.

Fraternity brothers who played various sports-golf, tennis, etc. They paid their fraternity fees and for beer, that's about all.

Reactions: BigOrangeGirl
You said we had 4 less than last year.
18 + 4 = 22

We have 14 DBs currently on scholarship without Conyer- not 18 DBs on scholarship.

We need more than 14 guys to cover 5 positions, or 6 when playing dime coverage. Especially when about 7 of these 14 guys haven’t had meaningful snaps in college yet.

Reactions: LittleVol
We have 14 DBs currently on scholarship without Conyer- not 18 DBs on scholarship.

We need more than 14 guys to cover 5 positions, or 6 when playing dime coverage. Especially when about 7 of these 14 guys haven’t had meaningful snaps in college yet.
“We need more than 14 to cover 5 positions”, had to do a double take on that lol

Conyer was a major piece they brought in. Is this a case of poor evaluation and/or development?

Coaches typically have this conversation with players. They just lay out the realities. Kids appreciate it. They want to play. Plus, it keeps the “good will” there with the kid and his high school coach.

VN Store

Back