Hadden 3rd DB

Yeah, accidents happen. I've had plenty of them. Haven't you? :cool:
Martinez has had close to 50 players he’s coached that have ended up playing in the league. UCF also had more DBs drafted in his time there as well than they had at any point before. The guy just gets kids to the league. Say what you will about his coaching but some of this recently has been about scheme and what they can run with the talent available.

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
Martinez has had close to 50 players he’s coached that have ended up playing in the league. UCF also had more DBs drafted in his time there as well than they had at any point before. The guy just gets kids to the league. Say what you will about his coaching but some of this recently has been about scheme and what they can run with the talent available.
Well, if I can say what I want, Matinez sucks.

I wish he would “get guys to the league “ for somebody else like maybe Georgia or Alabama

lol you’re of course welcome to your opinion. You’re not the only one on the board that feels that way. Heupel and Banks happen to think highly of him though.
How do you know what the Heup and the Banker think?

A 6th round pick...Banks coaches safeties, Martinez coaches CBs. The only other CB was Alontae who had 3 yrs under another coaching staff.
before the season started, if I’d told you hadden would get drafted, you’d have shat yourself laughing at me.

Would you retain someone you didn’t think highly of? Seems pretty obvious, brother.
It depends, as things are not always as they seem. But that still doesn't tell me how do know what Heup and Bank think. You aren't telepathic. I know that because Nathan told me.

It depends, as things are not always as they seem. But that still doesn't tell me how do know what Heup and Bank think. You aren't telepathic. I know that because Nathan told me.
This is purely my perspective. But I believe Heup has a list of at least 8-10 coaches he likes at every position in case one of his coaches leaves. Martinez’ contract expired and they decided to renew it. If they didn’t like him as a coach, it seems like common sense that they wouldn’t retain him and instead would try to hire someone off his list.

Sure, it’s speculation, but it makes more sense than, “they don’t like him as a coach but they retained him anyway.”

This is purely my perspective. But I believe Heup has a list of at least 8-10 coaches he likes at every position in case one of his coaches leaves. Martinez’ contract expired and they decided to renew it. If they didn’t like him as a coach, it seems like common sense that they wouldn’t retain him and instead would try to hire someone off his list.

Sure, it’s speculation, but it makes more sense than, “they don’t like him as a coach but they retained him anyway.”
They might be hoarders. I, too, retain stuff that most would call junk, it's a sentimental thing.

How do we know he didn't get drafted in spite of coaching? Not like he's a bad athlete
FFS. The guy had some of the best stats in the damn country this year before his injury. That’s talent and that’s also coaching. Our primary issue is we didn’t have much else in the secondary to go with him. McCullough had a great year as well though statistically.

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
Martinez was considering retirement. His contract was done this year. Heup and Banks wanted him back.
It is interesting they wanted hm back instead of hiring someone else. Let's see if his DBs are taught to turn their heads and look for the ball this season. Or if we continue to get repeatedly burned by passing batteries.

FFS. The guy had some of the best stats in the damn country this year before his injury. That’s talent and that’s also coaching. Our primary issue is we didn’t have much else in the secondary to go with him. McCullough had a great year as well though statistically.
Well everyone defending him said he needs better athletes. Now he has them. He had better athletes under Butch and most did better in the NFL than they did at UT. Banks coaches the safeties so what McCullough and Theo did don't apply. This should be a prove it year for Martinez.

Last edited:
Reactions: Native Orange
Well everyone defending him said he needs better athletes. Now he has them. He had better athletes under Butch and most did better in the NFL than they did at UT. Banks coaches the safeties so what McCollough and Theo did don't apply. This should be a prove it year for Martinez.
😂 doesn’t really matter if it’s a prove it year or not. The guy has been coaching 30 years. He’s close to hanging it up regardless. They likely already have his replacement on staff.

😂 doesn’t really matter if it’s a prove it year or not. The guy has been coaching 30 years. He’s close to hanging it up regardless. They likely already have his replacement on staff.
Ok well if there's no improvement, I hope he hangs it up in early 2025

Reactions: Native Orange
Hadden is the 3rd DB drafted in Heupel’s 3 years.

Some of y'all better start giving Coach Martinez some credit for developing his players. Nobody would have ever expected Hadden or Jackson to get drafted.

For context, we've only had 1 DL drafted in 3 years.
The reason our DL is so stacked right now is because dudes have returned to school. I believe Baron, Pearce, and Thomas would have been drafted if they came out. That would be 3 DL in 1yr. Next year we know for sure Pearce & Thomas getting drafted. Bryson can give himself a chance with a big year. Simmons is likely headed for UDFA. Wouldn't be shocked if he was a late rounder based off his size and freakish athleticism. He'll be a 1 tech in the NFL so his stats won't really matter.

Martinez has always gotten guys drafted. That’s never been the knock on him. He’s always gotten guys in the league, it’s just the unit as a whole has always under performed with him. I like Martinez, buts it’s now two different coaching staffs that he’s pretty much had the same production with. I need to see that unit as a whole get a lot better this year.
Have you by chance looked at the production of Coach Garners DL for the previous 10 years prior to Tennessee? He put a few kids in the league but his overall DL unit was below average at best. His best production, has been here at Tennessee because of the aggressive style of defense we have to play.

Coach Martinez recruits well for us and one of his selling points is he puts kids in the league.

My point with bringing up Coach Garner is, he develops kids and puts them in the league and at Auburn his DL was not good at all, for many years and he gets the title of best DL Coach, I'm assuming because develops kids for NFL.

If our coaches are developing kids enough that they can play at the next level, then they are doing something right which is why I assume coach Garner kept his position at Auburn even though DL didn't consistently play good at all.

Our defense has consistently got better and should be better next year, so we all should hope that Coach Martinez does well so we win.

Reactions: OrangeAllDay
Garner is about to give us a potential #1 overall pick, and possibly put 3 more in the league via draft in 2025. Bad bad comparison

Hadden’s play got him drafted. He was the best cover corner in the conference before he went down.

Can’t wait to see what Willie does with the group this year.
Our DL rotation may very well be one of the best in the country. We are already hearing buzz about Pearce potentially being the #1 overall player. That’s gonna make Willie’s group look much better than they are. Oh and don’t forget about the improved LB play. Yet another thing that will make the DBs look better.

When he was here the first time he as good LBs and then Derek Barnett. I mean look how many jobs WM has had. He can’t keep a job for longer than what 4 years? There is a reason for that. You keep carrying water for him.

Answer this, if Martinez was fired right now, how many quality SEC programs would want him? I am not talking about the doormats of the SEC. The good teams. Likely zero. Why? They would look at his production here and say no thanks. Now if Garner left? He could go to plenty of big time teams because he actually develops his players.

Have you by chance looked at the production of Coach Garners DL for the previous 10 years prior to Tennessee? He put a few kids in the league but his overall DL unit was below average at best. His best production, has been here at Tennessee because of the aggressive style of defense we have to play.

Coach Martinez recruits well for us and one of his selling points is he puts kids in the league.

My point with bringing up Coach Garner is, he develops kids and puts them in the league and at Auburn his DL was not good at all, for many years and he gets the title of best DL Coach, I'm assuming because develops kids for NFL.

If our coaches are developing kids enough that they can play at the next level, then they are doing something right which is why I assume coach Garner kept his position at Auburn even though DL didn't consistently play good at all.

Our defense has consistently got better and should be better next year, so we all should hope that Coach Martinez does well so we win.
No. We should all hope Heupel smartens up and searches for an actual good CB coach. Martinez should have already been fired.

Totally agree 100%

VN Store

Back