If We Could Play 1 Team @ Home in the CFP

There are several.

Missouri - We sTanD oN BuSiNeSs as he runs away...
Ole Miss - maybe the mustard bottle won't miss this time.
LSU - The number of comments I've read blaming their loss to us in 22 on the 11 am kickoff. That game could have been played 10 times at 10 different locations and 10 different times and the over/under on us winning would have been 9.5. Nothing about that game showed me LSU was as good as us.
Bama - Beating Bama twice in one year would be amazing.
Notre Dame - just because
Penn State - we owe them a post season loss
Michigan - another just because
Clemson - flipping burgers and birds after getting a dub sounds good.

Itā€™s the offseason, I like to refer to it as ā€œList Seasonā€ or ā€œHypothetical Seasonā€ because thatā€™s what a lot of the college football sports talk shows or podcasts only have to talk about in early May.

My question is thisā€¦

Letā€™s say we make the CFP this season and we go 10-2 and get to host a game as a 5-8 seed in Neyland (remember 5 seeds will host a Group of 5 school like Liberty or Coastal Carolina or Memphis). Who do you want in Neyland Stadium in a Playoff atmosphere?

My top 3
1)Notre Dame
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
It's boring, but in truth this year I would prefer whoever we would best match up against and most easily beat in order to advance. But ultimately -- which better gets at the spirit of your question -- I would prefer to play:

1) Michigan
2) Ohio State
3) Oregon
4) Runners up: ND, USC, Washington or Penn State

We just beat Clemson soundly in a NY6, and I would rather they fall off the face of the football-pertinent earth with that Orange Bowl as their lasting memory. I really feel like at this point we are a huge game for them, but "nature is healing" (as I saw someone say today on this very subject) and that means Clemson returning to obscurity and Tennessee taking all of the best recruits in their state. So let it be.

I remember beating Ohio State and Michigan in New Years
Day bowl games, and those are really fun teams to beat. Two of my all-time favorite bowl games. I remember beating and also losing to ND at different times, and that has always been fun (all regular season games). The same with Penn State (two home wins and three bowl games to avenge). The old Penn State wins at Neyland were fabulous. Thank you for the stadium lighting, Joe P, you schmuck.

We have only played USC and Oregon a few times (and surprisingly have beaten neither, mostly as a function of our team being in a down cycle at the time the regular season games were played). So that bumps them up on my list. USC is bigger historically but I think Oregon has more cachet these days: I would prefer to f the Ducks.

You know, we came very close to playing an undefeated UCLA for the national championship in '98 instead of FSU (until UCLA was upset in their final game), and I have always wished that we had enjoyed the privilege of demolishing them. That has been a great series over the years, but I'm afraid they are second fiddle to USC and Oregon now, and maybe for a long time to come. So I'll give them a pass. Washington would be fun this year with them coming off making the championship game. So I'll let them stand as a runner up. We've never played, but we have a home and away two-game series lined up with them starting in '27 iirc. The battle of the two riverfront stadiums. But I don't know if that future series will survive the new expanded conference schedules on both sides.

The other national teams that come to mind for me are Oklahoma and Texas, and they're joining our league, so we'll play them, anyway. I'm looking forward to playing the Okies this year; I wish it were at home. Texas to me is so gross that as fun as it would be to beat them, I don't even want to play them because I don't even want to look at them. But it was fun to beat them in basketball in the tournament. And the basketball win the year before last with Heupel on the court at TBA pre-game to give the down horns sign was primo, too.

I really don't care about Miami or Florida State enough to want to play them, and we already have famous wins over them, anyway. I like UNC okay in football, but I would rather own the state of NC in recruiting more easily than to see them to rise to playoff caliber. If I am leaving someone out, I suppose it may be significant that they aren't even on my radar.

Looking at my list, I realize they are all Big 10 teams now (let's include ND as Big 10 adjacent). I didn't do that on purpose. That really is the SEC's big rival in football now. So let's have at them.

Last edited:
Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Somebody we could beat. Would love to see Neyland electric after a playoff victory.
Exactly survive and advance, by then all teams should be a hard out, so its more about matchups vs teams that are vulnerable to what you do well. Starting to be a lot like the Basketball tournament vibe, which is always a fun ride.

Itā€™s the offseason, I like to refer to it as ā€œList Seasonā€ or ā€œHypothetical Seasonā€ because thatā€™s what a lot of the college football sports talk shows or podcasts only have to talk about in early May.

My question is thisā€¦

Letā€™s say we make the CFP this season and we go 10-2 and get to host a game as a 5-8 seed in Neyland (remember 5 seeds will host a Group of 5 school like Liberty or Coastal Carolina or Memphis). Who do you want in Neyland Stadium in a Playoff atmosphere?

My top 3
1)Notre Dame
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
1.Ohio State
2.Texas
3.Michigan

USC = My ex-wife corruption of my son keeps me up at night.
Ohio state ,Michigan and Penn State = I hate the big ten +4
bama= no explanation is needed. I hate kentucky. I hate ole piss ,not too fond of the Dawgs but my utter hatred for everything bama keeps me warm on a cold winter night. We could beat them for the next 30 years by 5 touchdowns and I would hate them the same way I do now.
Florida = see above but to lesser extent maybe just 28 years for the lizards

Ohio State or Michigan have to be high on the list

But how about USC? They are the only traditional power we have never beaten. Would lovvvvve to blow the doors off of them in the playoff this year.

Which we would, they would have ZERO chance in a cold, ravenous December Neyland stadium against our D-line and Nico. Zero.

Reactions: Orange.
It's boring, but in truth this year I would prefer whoever we would best match up against and most easily beat in order to advance. But ultimately -- which better gets at the spirit of your question -- I would prefer to play:

1) Michigan
2) Ohio State
3) Oregon
4) Runners up: ND, USC, Washington or Penn State

We just beat Clemson soundly in a NY6, and I would rather they fall off the face of the football-pertinent earth with that Orange Bowl as their lasting memory. I really feel like at this point we are a huge game for them, but "nature is healing" (as I saw someone say today on this very subject) and that means Clemson returning to obscurity and Tennessee taking all of the best recruits in their state. So let it be.

I remember beating Ohio State and Michigan in New Years
Day bowl games, and those are really fun teams to beat. Two of my all-time favorite bowl games. I remember beating and also losing to ND at different times, and that has always been fun (all regular season games). The same with Penn State (two home wins and three bowl games to avenge). The old Penn State wins at Neyland were fabulous. Thank you for the stadium lighting, Joe P, you schmuck.

We have only played USC and Oregon a few times (and surprisingly have beaten neither, mostly as a function of our team being in a down cycle at the time the regular season games were played). So that bumps them up on my list. USC is bigger historically but I think Oregon has more cachet these days: I would prefer to f the Ducks.

You know, we came very close to playing an undefeated UCLA for the national championship in '98 instead of FSU (until UCLA was upset in their final game), and I have always wished that we had enjoyed the privilege of demolishing them. That has been a great series over the years, but I'm afraid they are second fiddle to USC and Oregon now, and maybe for a long time to come. So I'll give them a pass. Washington would be fun this year with them coming off making the championship game. So I'll let them stand as a runner up. We've never played, but we have a home and away two-game series lined up with them starting in '27 iirc. The battle of the two riverfront stadiums. But I don't know if that future series will survive the new expanded conference schedules on both sides.

The other national teams that come to mind for me are Oklahoma and Texas, and they're joining our league, so we'll play them, anyway. I'm looking forward to playing the Okies this year; I wish it were at home. Texas to me is so gross that as fun as it would be to beat them, I don't even want to play them because I don't even want to look at them. But it was fun to beat them in basketball in the tournament. And the basketball win the year before last with Heupel on the court at TBA pre-game to give the down horns sign was primo, too.

I really don't care about Miami or Florida State enough to want to play them, and we already have famous wins over them, anyway. I like UNC okay in football, but I would rather own the state of NC in recruiting more easily than to see them to rise to playoff caliber. If I am leaving someone out, I suppose it may be significant that they aren't even on my radar.

Looking at my list, I realize they are all Big 10 teams now (let's include ND as Big 10 adjacent). I didn't do that on purpose. That really is the SEC's big rival in football now. So let's have at them.
With the exception of last season, I think we wouldā€™ve matched up very well against Michigan the past 3 years they made the CFP. Even the year we went 7-6 we were a very dangerous football team and their pass defense was ranked as one of the worst in the country . Ohio State OTOH was a terrible matchup for us w/ CJ Stroud at QB. I think weā€™ll be better than Michigan this season, better than Notre Dame and I think Ohio State could potentially win the whole thing this season. Iā€™m not sure what to make of Clemson anymore. It feels like Dabo is kind of slipping slowly into national irrelevancy . I think that descent would be much more rapid in the SEC or B1G. UNC would be fun to play in the CFP for me because i basically live 10 miles from Chapel Hill and would probably do some chirping. I just donā€™t see them having a realistic chance at a CFP w/ Max Johnson (aTm QB last season) if they couldnā€™t win big w/ Drake Maye (3rd pick) Sam Howell (great college QB) and Trubisky (2nd pick)over the past 4-5 years.

I do know that if we do host a CFP game i will do whatever I can to make the 5 hour drive to be in Neyland .

Edit: Would love to put another Citrus Bowl style beat down on Michigan and beating Ohio State is probably who Iā€™d want to beat the most outside of the SEC.

Reactions: Orange.

My question is thisā€¦

My top 3
1)Notre Dame
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
ā€˜85 Bears

VN Store

Back