Keys to beating Purdue

Chaz-Vol

1. Limit fouls as much as possible against Edey. If team is playing Cade Phillips we're in trouble.
2. Defend better guarding 3 pointers. If Edey goes for 40 points is one thing but I'll die if another white Purdue guard goes for 30 points.
3. Obvious but hit open shots at decent clip from 3 (~34%).
4. Balanced scoring and if all else fails Knecht going supernova

1. Limit fouls as much as possible against Edey. If team is playing Cade Phillips we're in trouble.
2. Defend better guarding 3 pointers. If Edey goes for 40 points is one thing but I'll die if another white Purdue guard goes for 30 points.
Yeah, it’s cool if a black guard hits 30. Don’t need those white guys doing it tho. Fo sho. 🥴

Edey is not athletic at all, but he gets foul calls if someone breathes on him and he unfortunately makes his free throws. We need to rattle him early on

Maybe have one of our benchwarmers take him out by the knees

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Edey is not athletic at all, but he gets foul calls if someone breathes on him and he unfortunately makes his free throws. We need to rattle him early on

Dude

He does get the calls but he also gets fouled a ton. Bruises and scratches all over his arms

Reactions: vol94
Dude

He does get the calls but he also gets fouled a ton. Bruises and scratches all over his arms
Agree with you. When he gets the ball deep in the lane you just have to give him the two and not foul. At least in the first half.

My gripe is he never gets called for the fouls he commits. He had 2 blatant fouls not called in first 10 of first half. That would’ve changed that game tremendously.

Agree with you. My gripe is he never gets called for the fouls he commits. He had 2 blatant fouls not called in first 10 of first half. That would’ve changed that game tremendously.
I get it. I don’t disagree with that. I do think he gets fouled a ton though, more than people will admit.

I say throw My Cade Phillips out there early to rough edey up and get him frustrated, but in all honesty I think we need to see a lot more of Aidoo and Awaka out there together on Edey. Awaka and his strength are our x factor in this one.

Snipers in the stands. High powered water, guns sprayed on their sneakers while they’re running, should make their plant foot unstable and cause them to get a walk foul.

I get it. I don’t disagree with that. I do think he gets fouled a ton though, more than people will admit.
I think the big point is he gets away with fouls on others when others get called for doing exact same thing to him.

He constantly lays his arm on shoulder in guy of front of him to reach his arm over. Never called as long as he doesn’t push them in the back.

I think the big point is he gets away with fouls on others when others get called for doing exact same thing to him.

He constantly lays his arm on shoulder in guy of front of him to reach his arm over. Never called as long as he doesn’t push them in the back.
He does get away with a lot

Reactions: Rockytop10nessee

Edey shoots free throws at a staggering rate. The other great non-conference big men we played this year in Bacot and Dickinson combined shot fewer free throws than Edey.

It's especially ridiculous when he regularly lowers his shoulder and puts his defender in the first row but never gets called for it.

As others as said in this thread, Edey will get his points. There’s very little you can do about that, especially since he’s hardly ever called for fouls.

However, we can slow their guards down and force them to make tough passes.

ZZ has to play a perfect game defensively if we want to pull this off.

How to win? Easy. Just bring the Kentucky game at Rupp. If we play like that, we win. It would be nice to hang 90 - 110 points on these guys.

Reactions: Score50
I actually think we can do a good job of not letting him get the ball all that much in the first place - and when he does just let him shoot without fouling. And box his ass out hard - I mean like Buffalo Wild Wings hard. Zz and Shack and hopefully Santi outta be able to cover their other guys like a wet blanket - if we do as good a job as we did against Creighton… well, Purdue is going to have a lot of trouble - and on the other end just drive into that bastard relentlessly.
One thing that isn’t going to work I don’t think is Zzs little ten foot rainbow shot - I think Edaward Penis Hands will block all of those.

Realistically - I am confident that coach Barns knows what he’s doing and will come up with the best plan to win- and I cannot explain why, but I am confident Tenn wins and makes it look easy.

Reactions: theroyz71
As others as said in this thread, Edey will get his points. There’s very little you can do about that, especially since he’s hardly ever called for fouls.

However, we can slow their guards down and force them to make tough passes.

ZZ has to play a perfect game defensively if we want to pull this off.
Agree. In fact if you look at Edey in last game, he was pretty passive on D, I think on purpose so he didn't draw any fouls. I think we attack the paint also. Awaka is a key. He's a valuable player for this game, but also a walking foul machine. If he can tap back on Edey and just do enough to harass him but not take the bait to foul...the longer he can play in this game, I think the better our chances...as long as everyone else doing their part.

Whatever happened to over the back being called a foul. I guess it doesn’t apply to Eddy. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: WhiteMike81

Cobra Kai Sweep GIF by IFC

Barnes will have them ready. Earlier this year, Lurch fouled out Aidoo and Awaka. He also put 4 fouls on Estella and Phillips. That’s ridiculous. I also wonder how many times this year a ref has had the guts to call 3 seconds on him. My guess is not many if at all. It’s a shame that sometimes players get a different set of rules although I can’t remember them ever calling 3 seconds on anyone this year. Did that rule go away? Anyhow, if Lurch can stand directly in front of the rim and stay there till he gets the ball, there’s no defense for that. Maybe the old “pull the chair out” play where you let him shoulder you once and when he starts again you move out of the way and let him fly into the basket support. Ha! It would be a good game to still have Plavics. I think we are going to need to hit 3s to win because refs won’t call fouls on Lurch if we drive in there.

Reactions: Starchief13VFL
Seems like we should put work into keeping the ball out of Eden’s hands. Press, trap, double team and deny the entry pass? I’m sure it’s been tried before but our guards are more disruptive than most.

VN Store

Back