Kim Caldwell comparisons to Heupel

BruisedOrange

Well... known member
Auburn led the SEC in turnover margin last year at +4.9 per game. What would you expect the LV turnover margin to be next season?
IIRC, the '91-92 Tulane "posse" collected +8 per game. I'm guessing at least +12 for us. It's not just that we're pressing the ball defensively. It's also that we'll be limiting our own turnovers by putting up shots before the defense has transitioned, rather than settling into our own half-court offense.

I expect eventually some team which has the roster for it will come at us with three 6'2" or taller players, attempting to overhand pass their way up the court and into some kind of double-post half-court offense.

But, like football coaches going up against Heupel's offense, it's going to force teams to devote multiple practices to preparing for something they'll not see or use against any other team. And we should expect to hear, if successful, accusations of "gimmick basketball." It's the pioneers who take all the arrows.

Should be fun, if we fans have the patience to let the players and coaches work out all the kinks and get it fully implemented. And I think our girls--especially those returning--are going to have so much fun being the aggressors!

IIRC, the '91-92 Tulane "posse" collected +8 per game. I'm guessing at least +12 for us. It's not just that we're pressing the ball defensively. It's also that we'll be limiting our own turnovers by putting up shots before the defense has transitioned, rather than settling into our own half-court offense.

I expect eventually some team which has the roster for it will come at us with three 6'2" or taller players, attempting to overhand pass their way up the court and into some kind of double-post half-court offense.

But, like football coaches going up against Heupel's offense, it's going to force teams to devote multiple practices to preparing for something they'll not see or use against any other team. And we should expect to hear, if successful, accusations of "gimmick basketball." It's the pioneers who take all the arrows.

Should be fun, if we fans have the patience to let the players and coaches work out all the kinks and get it fully implemented. And I think our girls--especially those returning--are going to have so much fun being the aggressors!
Hate to point it out but Heupel has not been able to adjust enough against the top of the SEC. That is my worry about the new system. Works against the lesser teams but can we beat SC, Tx and LSU with it. Time will tell.

Hate to point it out but Heupel has not been able to adjust enough against the top of the SEC. That is my worry about the new system. Works against the lesser teams but can we beat SC, Tx and LSU with it. Time will tell.

Might need to update your clock. Please no need to point anything out moving forward in regards to Tennessee athletics.
IMG_4444.jpeg

1714762296436.jpeg

May turn out to be right, but what I saw last season was a lack of the right personnel, on defense in the backfield, and on offense with a quarterback unable to make yardage with his feet when defenses had our deep threats covered. I think the next two seasons should give us a more reliable assessment of his scheme's potential, even though Nico will make mistakes this season, just from youth and inexperience.

And maybe CKS's first team will reveal some missing key element or player capability that will require addressing before the next season.

But every philosophy, no matter the sport, no matter how traditional, requires a special assembly of personnel, experience, camaraderie, and luck, all coming together to win a championship. The '98 championship football team is as good an example as any.

That (12) would be a big a big jump over Everyone from last season, Marshall included who averaged under 8.

May turn out to be right, but what I saw last season was a lack of the right personnel, on defense in the backfield, and on offense with a quarterback unable to make yardage with his feet when defenses had our deep threats covered. I think the next two seasons should give us a more reliable assessment of his scheme's potential, even though Nico will make mistakes this season, just from youth and inexperience.

And maybe CKS's first team will reveal some missing key element or player capability that will require addressing before the next season.

But every philosophy, no matter the sport, no matter how traditional, requires a special assembly of personnel, experience, camaraderie, and luck, all coming together to win a championship. The '98 championship football team is as good an example as any.
Adjustments literally means working around the weaknesses of your players to find ways to exploit the other teams shortfalls.

If you have to wait a season or more the find players who can make plays necessary for your system to work, that is not making an adjustment. In fact that is the exact opposite of adjusting.

My system will be the "best" in the country. I just need one player like Candace Parker, one like Caitlin Clark, one like Birttany Griner, and one like Sabrina I. for it to work....

Reactions: volfan102455
I shy away from the Basketball vs Football comparison. For the main fact they shouldn't be compared in anyway.

But individuals have a right to their opinions.
I also fully admit to not grasping a lot about football. I grew up in a basketball and soccer state; we didn’t even have a football team at my high school! So I try to avoid it as well lest I get exposed as a fraud 😂

I will say this....the type of system she wants to run has never been done in WCBB with top level elite recruits. Yes, other schools have tried it or pieces of it but not with a solid team of elite athletes at SEC level. We really don't know how well this will go until it happens. And I am sure she knows that to pull this off she needs those recruits ASAP.

I will say this....the type of system she wants to run has never been done in WCBB with top level elite recruits. Yes, other schools have tried it or pieces of it but not with a solid team of elite athletes at SEC level. We really don't know how well this will go until it happens. And I am sure she knows that to pull this off she needs those recruits ASAP.
Our current roster is not full of elite athletes at the moment.

Reactions: Deebowbear
And South Carolina when it really mattered in 2022 and then Florida, Missouri, Bama and GA again in 2023. KY gave a good scare to boot
Nah. Those losses weren't on the system.
Some of it is coaching, some of it is execution, some of it is lack of talent.
Heupel's system is fine. We'll see about Caldwell's.

And South Carolina when it really mattered in 2022 and then Florida, Missouri, Bama and GA again in 2023. KY gave a good scare to boot
I meant the only team he has not beaten… He has beaten all those teams. You definitely love the negative outlook…. He has the third highest winning % at 69% in the SEC(Lane Kiffin has won 69% of his games in the SEC as well. He led us to a New Years 6 beat down of Clemson… our first win against Alabama and Florida in years. Heup did this while taking over a roster that had won 3 games and was facing an NCAA investigation. This should be one of his best rosters as the Nico era is set to begin. I would love it if CKC does as good a job as he has done so far.

You really don't understand the situation Heupel took over and how everything has progressed the last three seasons. He took over a team that went 3-7 and then had a lot of the best players transfer. His system is the major reason his first season was a big turnaround to 7-5 and that he followed up in 2022 with an 11-2 season that included wins over LSU, Florida, Alabama, and Clemson. They beat 6 ranked teams. They took a "massive" step back to 9-4 this last season because of questionable QB play and poor secondary play the last half of the season.

The only "top of the SEC" team that he hasn't beat in his three seasons is UGA. They have the most talented roster in the country and I'm pretty sure they've only lost to Alabama the last three seasons.

There...you should be all caught up.

Nah. Those losses weren't on the system.
Some of it is coaching, some of it is execution, some of it is lack of talent.
Heupel's system is fine. We'll see about Caldwell's.
Interesting point. So, the ‘system” is a mystical entity which exists in an ethereal realm independent of coaches, players, plays, and execution? Got it.

Last edited:
Our current roster is not full of elite athletes at the moment.
She took a roster that had below average sunbelt talent…. lost their best player 6 games into the season and went on to have the best record in school history…. She will have this team playing better than its talent level as a whole. She seems like an extremely hard, intense worker. I think the talent level will continue to improve.

I meant the only team he has not beaten… He has beaten all those teams. You definitely love the negative outlook…. He has the third highest winning % at 69% in the SEC(Lane Kiffin has won 69% of his games in the SEC as well. He led us to a New Years 6 beat down of Clemson… our first win against Alabama and Florida in years. Heup did this while taking over a roster that had won 3 games and was facing an NCAA investigation. This should be one of his best rosters as the Nico era is set to begin. I would love it if CKC does as good a job as he has done so far.
I am not sure pointing actual losses is a negative outlook versus stating you know facts. Bringing this back to the lvs, Kellie beat Texas, Alabama, and Texas A&M in the past but that did not lessen the damages of more recent losses. You have get those wins consistently, year after year. Heupel has definitely brought the program back from a low point but, if the aspirations is being an NC contender, these next two seasons are going to be pivotal.
His

Reactions: volfan102455
I don't get how some of you take swipes at other UT programs. It's as if it brings you joy to totally ignore context in an effort to argue that another UT coach isn't doing a good job...and the aim is usually at the football and baseball programs that have been pretty successful lately and certainly programs that are improving. Hell of a way to be a "Vol fan".

Oh dear, I admire your bravery.
Yeah. I didn’t think about it being Friday and the flying monkeys will get all “liquored up” (to quote the best Vol ever which I shouldn’t know anything about because I obviously hate men’s sports in spite of 30+ years of dragging myself from Nashville to Neyland) and lose their collective minds. This will be in spite of the fact that what I said is true and I really like J. Heupel and think he is our best football coach since Phil.
I think I’ll just refer them to Mad’s post re: SEC losses. 😆😆😆😆!

VN Store

Back